Inspired Contributor
ConnieL4193
0 Kudos

Re: New NOOK Glowlight

Well I certainly understand why some people wouldn't like it because they sideload other stuff but for those of us who read only B&N content, it probably won't matter much. As for the page turn buttons, I guess that too is a matter of getting used to. Guess it isn't that big of a deal for me. For me it's all about the screen so I'll have to go check it out. What I DO find interesting is that they are offering a 10% discount to B&N Members, something they have never done in the past to my knowledge. Now THAT is nice, although might I also add at this point that they could have been doing that all along to encourage people to actually become members. Seriously. Just seems like B&N is constantly missing opportunities like this - offering all kinds of in-store "extras" to Nook owners.  C'Mon B&N, I know you can do better.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,975
0 Kudos

BN offered a discount to Members on devices back in the day. They offered $25 off a NOOK Color or NOOK Tablet with a Membership, which incidentally also cost $25 a year. So it was, in effect, a free year Membership for anyone who bought a NOOK.

The idea behind the Membership is that it makes you more likely to shop at BN - when you want a new book you'll choose to buy it from BN because you get an extra discount on it over the price you'd pay elsewhere. It turned out that these free Memberships that BN was giving NOOK owners didn't really help with anything - most of them never were used, and they simply weren't a reason to buy a NOOK over a Kindle - just an added bonus that hurt the company's margins.

BN really needs to get rid of the MasterCard and move that 5% rebate over onto the Membership. If I were in charge I would change the program to look something like this:

10% off everything in stores (including NOOK accessories)

40% off hardcover bestsellers

Free express shipping

5% ebook rebate (for every $100 you spend, get a $5 credit instantly added to the NOOK account)

Inspired Contributor
ConnieL4193
0 Kudos

I'd also add those free Nook pop-ups on the device when you go in the store to encourage people to come in more.  As for the 10% off books, didn't really matter to me because even after the 10%, it usually was more or the same as Amazon.com. The reason I go to B&N when I do is for the in-store experience not because I like their prices.  Hanging out at B&N was for me like a bar is for other people. Can't get a DUI from drinking lattes. :smileywink:

Correspondent
ewilson1114
0 Kudos

At first I was a bit upset at no microSD card slot, but I don't think I have enough sideloaded books for that to really matter.

I AM upset about no hardware page turn buttons and it may be a dealbreaker for me. I would like a nicer screen and the lighting (I have just a regular NST right now) so I'll have to go in store and check it out in person to see if that makes up for the lack of page turn buttons.

I just don't understand why they would take those off. Those buttons are 90% of the reason I chose Nook over Kindle.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch

[ Edited ]

Picked one up just now (I was the first one to purchase it at my store)

The screen - much improved over the NSTG, I loaded the same screensaver I have on the NSTG (a custom one) and compared the two side by side.  The NGL is a sharper image and better contrast.  I believe they have effectively solved the issue caused by the light screen. 

The glowlight- yes this was improved markedly.  It's a soft glow over the whole screen and while I have not tested in total darkness (hard to do at 10am) I have tested it in low light situations that would otherwise prohibit reading, it looks GOOD. 

Page turn buttons - meh, this thing is LIGHT, anyone who was holding the NST/G with one hand should easily be able to hold this and adjust to tapping the screen (anyone who was already doing so should find it easier).  Seriously, the NGL is almost an ounce lighter than the NSTG (I believe it's a 0.75 ounce difference for the penny counters out there). 

Storage- remains to be seen, but I remain hopeful.

My one grip is cases, my store only had demo ones in, and I was not a fan of the style.  The ones we have clip to the side of the NGL and are just a flap to cover the screen.  The shell I have for my NSTG doesn't really work since the NGL is a touch thinner than the NSTG.  So I guess I'll play the waiting game for B&N to release a better case or for a third party to do so.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Contributor
mhodgin
0 Kudos

I used to use the side buttons almost exclusively, but then one of the buttons started getting stuck, so instead of advancing one page, it started repeated advancing page after page.  After that happened a few times, I just started using the touch screen, and I haven't looked back.

I really hate the white color, I just do.  I wouldn't even consider the HD model because it only came in white. Someone said this new Glowlight looks like a toy, that was my first impression as well.  I guess I'll have to see it in person to make sure.

Someone in this thread mentioned that we need a couple of choices of e-ink readers, low end, and higher-end, and I really agree with that.  I would be one of the higher-end buyers, spend a bit more money on the reader and get a BIT larger screen, hires, a bit higher processor, and more memory with more room for some of my older sideloaded books that I like.  I know that e-ink pricing is very sensitive--if the price becomes too high, not enough people will buy them....how many Kobo Aura HDs have really been sold at $179?

I was really looking forward to this unveiling, and I do feel disappointed, but there is a chance I still might purchase it if the screen clarity & lighting is very good, as this is the main reason to have a new e-ink device.

Inspired Contributor
ConnieL4193
0 Kudos

Thanks for the update Mercury. Case doesn't really bother me because I typically don't use them with these kinds of devices. It just defeats the purpose of having a light weight device and the screen doesn't seem like it really needs it anyway (unless of course you're very hard on your stuff).  So long as that screen passes muster, I may be getting me one in the next day or two.

bobstro

The NOOK in the middle

[ Edited ]

mhodgin wrote:

[...]  I would be one of the higher-end buyers, spend a bit more money on the reader and get a BIT larger screen, hires, a bit higher processor, and more memory with more room for some of my older sideloaded books that I like.

What I find perplexing is that the new unit could be that high-end unit if only they'd provided more storage, or made it easy to add storage. They hit most of my hot buttons for a higher-end device as well, though I'd like a larger screen. With the NST still in the lineup, they're in the odd position of having a lower-end device with a fundamental feature (expandable storage) that the high-end device lacks.

I know that e-ink pricing is very sensitive--if the price becomes too high, not enough people will buy them....how many Kobo Aura HDs have really been sold at $179?

I think enough that they decided to make a limited edition into a full-time product and enhanced other devices accordingly. Kobo does not seem to be racing to the bottom in terms of pricing, at least not on their upper-end devices. While not a Kobo-authorized procedure, the internal storage on Kobos can also be expanded easily, so they're benefiting from outside developer/hacker efforts as well.

I was really looking forward to this unveiling, and I do feel disappointed, but there is a chance I still might purchase it if the screen clarity & lighting is very good, as this is the main reason to have a new e-ink device.

It does sound like they got those features right, so long as you like the 6 inch screen size.

bobstro
0 Kudos

Screen protection and covers

ConnieL4193 wrote:

[...] Case doesn't really bother me because I typically don't use them with these kinds of devices. It just defeats the purpose of having a light weight device and the screen doesn't seem like it really needs it anyway (unless of course you're very hard on your stuff). 

I've come full circle on screen protectors and covers. Stick-on protectors tend to much with display quality, which is the main reason I'm buying the device. Attached cases tend to get in the way and make the device less pleasant to use. These days, I may apply a skin to protect against nicks and scratches, but otherwise, prefer to keep my devices "nekkid", using a slip cover for travel. I might use a silicon "bumper" case for around the house.

More good news is that my existing slip cover will work with any similarly-sized device, so I don't have to lust after new $40+ cases.

Bibliophile
laurieb52

Re: The NOOK in the middle

Mercury,

What about the shelving?

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

I've run into problems with certain books having font or margin settings that the NST could not override.  The margins are especially annoying, because I hate to see all that wasted real estate on the page forcing me to turn the page twice as often. (Ran into this with Stand on Zanzibar, an extra half-inch margin I could not remove) The entire Gideon Oliver mystery series is set into a font that cannot be enlarged enough to be readable for my visually impaired mother.

Nook for PC and Nook for iPad had no problem overriding these settings but the NST could not.  I'd be curious to know if the new one can.

I'd also like to know if they fixed the shelving. 

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
0 Kudos

In contrast to the modders, I prefer the Android 2.1 base because it means they don't do the goofy new "media drive" interface that screws up managing the device library with Calibre (I still can't manage my HD with Calibre the way I do my NST).

I don't mind the white color as much as some and losing the physical page turn buttons annoys me but the real deal killer for me is loss of the SD slot.  Sorry, I sideload quite a bit and that's just not going to cut it.

Guess I'm just due for disappointment (and no new Nook) this year.

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, Angel Fire East, Batman Year One, Appleseed
bobstro
0 Kudos

New NOOK GlowLight flip cover

[ Edited ]
Mercury_Glitch wrote:
My one grip is cases
The day ain't over yet. :smileyhappy:
, my store only had demo ones in, and I was not a fan of the style.  The ones we have clip to the side of the NGL and are just a flap to cover the screen.
It looks like the case folds into a stand for landscape use, though the unit can't actually be used in landscape orientation, or can it? When folded, the cover can prop the reader up vertically, but that's an awkward reading position. Being on the left, it also looks like it'll be cumbersome to use one handed if held in the left hand if you just fold it back. In one review, I saw it held with the folded cover used as a grip. How comfortable is that position for one-handed page flipping?
Frequent Contributor
rbrenart
0 Kudos

Better light = I buy

That was all I needed, the upgraded screen looks like a bonus. The white bezel a slight negative. Everything else is completely meaningless to me. Although I get why they may have been important to other people.

So, that said... I'm really curious about two things I've seen in some reviews, and am reading here.

1) They should've gone with a newer version of android. Why? It's a bespoke application, who cares if they wrote it on PalmOS? If you're going to mod it you're probably going to root and install your own version anyway. 

2) Processor is too slow. What are you talking about? I have the NST (not glow), and I can honestly say I've never thought the processor was holding me back. What do you need the additional horsepower for? (and would you be willing to trade battery life for it?)

I'm not trying to say any one's opinions are invalid, but as a gadget person I'm genuinelly curious where the desire for these two features comes from. 

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek

rbrenart wrote:

Better light = I buy

That was all I needed, the upgraded screen looks like a bonus. The white bezel a slight negative. Everything else is completely meaningless to me. Although I get why they may have been important to other people.

So, that said... I'm really curious about two things I've seen in some reviews, and am reading here.

1) They should've gone with a newer version of android. Why? It's a bespoke application, who cares if they wrote it on PalmOS? If you're going to mod it you're probably going to root and install your own version anyway. 

2) Processor is too slow. What are you talking about? I have the NST (not glow), and I can honestly say I've never thought the processor was holding me back. What do you need the additional horsepower for? (and would you be willing to trade battery life for it?)

I'm not trying to say any one's opinions are invalid, but as a gadget person I'm genuinelly curious where the desire for these two features comes from. 

I think those two gripes are coming from modders who want to make a cheap e-ink tablet. I like doing my own tinkering with things I own but a lot of the whines really miss the point that B&N is trying to make money by selling books to readers.  I can't see any advantages Android 4.0 has over Android 2.1 when you're talking about a dedicated device like an ereader.  A faster processor generally means lower battery life -- again, with a dedicated item like an ereader, it's not worth the battery life trade to save a split-second on a page turn.

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, Angel Fire East, Batman Year One, Appleseed
Inspired Contributor
ConnieL4193
0 Kudos

I agree Omnigeek. It's an eInk reader people. Why do you need more horepower or anythng else? So long as the screen is excellent and the book reading experience is top notch, who cares? For those who do all the sideloading, I guess you'll need to either wait or go elsewhere. For some people this will be exactly what the doctor ordered and for others it won't even be close. Just depends on what you need but that's true of every device out there.  I do hope that B&N continues releasing an entire family of devices (maybe 3 of both eInk and tablet versions). A little something for everyone.

bobstro
0 Kudos

Android OS versions and processor speeds

rbrenart wrote:
[...] So, that said... I'm really curious about two things I've seen in some reviews, and am reading here.

I don't think developers are necessarily hoping for the latest version of Android, but a more current version (e.g. 2.3 Gingerbread) would open up a slew of options that simply aren't available on the older 2.1 Eclair they've used. There are a lot of handy features and programs that simply don't work on 2.1.

If you root, you still have to use whatever OS is there. There aren't the numerous OS variations for the NST/NSTG as for the color NOOKs (e.g. CyanogenMod) because the screen drivers are not available. All existing NST/G mods are still based on Android 2.1.

You're right that this isn't something B&N should necessarily know or care about, other than perhaps realizing that the developer community can provide a lot of free advanced development and debugging work if you encourage them. I do wonder if B&N's developers wish they had a more current OS to work on, as each Android release provides more capabilities.

It can never be too fast! It would be useful for allowing background apps (e.g. file sync, time update) to run without adversely affecting responsiveness. You'll notice this when a device first wakes up for use if a lot of processes kick off.
A faster processor doesn't necessarily equate to poorer battery life. During operation, the actual operating speed of the processor at any given moment is controlled by a "governor" that steps speeds up and down depending on current load. It's nice to have the option to tune for snappy performance, better battery life or something in between. One common tweak is to have the CPU run faster when the device is in use (screen on), but slow down well below stock when no (screen off). I think it's safe to say that battery and performance tuning is an obsession with many Android developers and modders.
keriflur
0 Kudos

laurieb52 wrote:

They should have had 8 gig of storage if they weren't doing an SD card slot. The 4 Gig is enough for me right now, but it's likely I would run out of space in about 18 months.

This is me exactly. If I can mod it to 8 gb, I'll bite. But $119 for a device that I'll be able to use for only a year or so? I'm not sure it's worth it. 

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,975
0 Kudos

Re: Android OS versions and processor speeds

I can say that even using a "slow" processor the NGL responds much faster than my old NST. Software optimization ftw.

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

Re: Android OS versions and processor speeds

The user manual is posted. Looks like no difference in shelving....

However, the number of pages to the end of the chapter is there, and the number of books on a shelf remains, contrary to the last updates on the HD.

You can also add your google contacts for sharing thoughts and notes about ebooks. It also says you can search by subject; I'm not sure, but I don't think the last version did.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!