Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

Re: Android OS versions and processor speeds

flyingtoastr wrote:

I can say that even using a "slow" processor the NGL responds much faster than my old NST. Software optimization ftw.

The NST was 800 MHz according to most everything I've read. In any case, I don't think the new processor is any slower. I do wonder about the veracity of the leaked data sheet... unless the "new" NST is being slowed down (yikes).

I suspect improved display technology gets the credit for perceptible performance increases, as 800 MHz processors have powered much bigger devices for years. The old eInk displays were notoriously slow.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,947
0 Kudos

No, it's legimate load speeds. The Way of Kings takes about 4 seconds to load on my NST versus less than 2 on my NGL. Boot speed is also a little faster, though I didn't bother timing it exactly.

Correspondent
Byteguy
0 Kudos

No power button and "always on" (per the BN website)

Hmm... I wonder how long before someone gets on a plane and freaks out (or gets in trouble) because they can't "turn it off"

Don't get me wrong, I know the current rules are stupid.  I never "turn off" my NST when I fly but I make sure it's sleeping and the wi-fi is off.

bobstro
0 Kudos

I think they mean the glow light is always on when the device is on. There is a power button on the new GlowLight.

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

No, the glow light is not always on.. The default setting is off, and you can manually turn it on via holding the nook button for 2 seconds or via the setting icon.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Correspondent
Byteguy
0 Kudos

bobstro wrote:

I think they mean the glow light is always on when the device is on. There is a power button on the new GlowLight.

My mistake,  I see from the manual that they moved it from the back to the left side.

Frequent Contributor
Larryb52
0 Kudos

my store shows them in but they would only accept reservations, so I added my names, looks like a nice addition...

bobstro
0 Kudos

So what does "Always on" mean?

On the product page for the new NOOK GlowLight, I see this:

--- cut here --- cut here ---

With an extra-long, 8 week battery life2, NOOK GlowLight stays powered up when you're on the go.

2 With GlowLight on at the default brightness setting, a single charge will last over 1 month with wireless off based on ½ hour of daily reading and 1 page refresh per minute. A single charge lasts over 2 months with wireless off and GlowLight off based on ½ hour of daily reading time and 1 page refresh per minute. Battery life depends on device settings, usage, and many other factors. Battery tests conducted using specific units. Actual results may vary.

--- cut here --- cut here ---

So are they just saying you can get long battery life if you leave the light on all the time? I assume it doesn't do any sort of automatic light sensing (though that'd be nice). Or are they describing the device going into standby mode (which the Kobo Mini, for one, does not.) Is "always on" describing quick(er) startup times?

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

Re: So what does "Always on" mean?

@bobstro,

Actually, if you look at the statement in your third paragraph, it says you get 1 month of battery life with the glowlight on  and wireless off, and 2 months with the glowlight off and wireless off.

The user manual also shows the same options for setting the length f time before it goes into standby as the prior version.The manual is under the support page.

bobstro
0 Kudos

Re: So what does "Always on" mean?

[ Edited ]

Yes, but that doesn't explain what "stays powered up when you're on the go" means. I'm unclear if they're just saying they get the same battery life as the old NST even with the glow light, or if they're describing some new feature.

Contributor
rbrenart
0 Kudos

I don't think developers are necessarily hoping for the latest version of Android, but a more current version (e.g. 2.3 Gingerbread) would open up a slew of options that simply aren't available on the older 2.1 Eclair they've used. There are a lot of handy features and programs that simply don't work on 2.1.

Any of those relevant to an e-reader? I take your point, as a hackers device it would make things easier to have a more recent jumping off point - but as a consumer device, I find these complaints baseless.

It can never be too fast! It would be useful for allowing background apps (e.g. file sync, time update) to run without adversely affecting responsiveness. You'll notice this when a device first wakes up for use if a lot of processes kick off.

Price, performance, battery life... pick two.

Anyway, I stand by my claim that worrying about the MHz of the chip in a dedicated e-reader, much like worrying about the version of Android means you're probably not the target consumer.

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

There's no new feature related to powering up, it works exactly the same in that respect as the NST &NSTG.

bobstro

[ Edited ]

brenart wrote:
Any of those relevant to an e-reader? I take your point, as a hackers device it would make things easier to have a more recent jumping off point - but as a consumer device, I find these complaints baseless.

Just on the jump from Android 2.1 to 2.2, there were some significant improvements that would apply to any device:

Dalvik Performance Boost: 2x-5x performance speedup for CPU-heavy code over Android 2.1 with Dalvik JIT. [...]

Kernel Memory Management Boost: Improved memory reclaim by up to 20x, which results in faster app switching and smoother performance on memory-constrained devices.

Price, performance, battery life... pick two.

While that was the case in the past, it's not with today's mobile technologies. Many faster newer processors use less power over the life of a battery charge than older slower processors. In many cases, they are actually slower most of the time, but can speed up for interactive use.

Anyway, I stand by my claim that worrying about the MHz of the chip in a dedicated e-reader, much like worrying about the version of Android means you're probably not the target consumer.

Yet it's mentioned in nearly every review. Somebody out there obviously cares.

RHWright

>Yawn<

This has no significant improvements over the NST for me.

Glow light? meh

No SD card? por quoi?

Only in white?

At least the NST is still available. I may just pick up one as a back-up. Just in case.

Now if we can just get a sowtware update for the NST out of them that addresses the known issues and requests for improvement ...

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Re: New NOOK Glowlight

I'm going to go look at it after I get off work.  I've been reading on my HD, but, the battery life drives me nuts, seems like I'm always in the middle of a book and half to go charge it.

As far as the space, here's my experience.  I have quite a number of friends/relatives and coworkers who have some type of eReader.  In talking to them, they all seem to read books and then archive them off the device, most of them have said they don't like having a lot of books on the device and they don't care about shelving.

So maybe BN is responding to the what the market wants, which may not necessarily be what folks who post on message boards want.  One would expect they did some type of market research when developing the device, and maybe the found out that general users don't care about SD cards, don't do a lot of sideloading, and don't want or need to have several thousand books on their device  On the other hand, maybe they didn't do any research and made these changes all based on cost.

My point would be, that what you read here and what we, the "power users" feel is necessary, may not be what the "regular" users want.

Even my wants and needs have changed since I got my first N1E.  The extra storage is no longer an issue for me, I don't do much sideloading and I'm archiving more books on the device these days.

I do, however, wish they had improved the shelving.  But, shelving or organizing doesn't seem to be a priority with any of the retailers from what I've seen.

roustabout
0 Kudos

Re: The NOOK in the middle

Omnigeek writes "I still can't manage my HD with Calibre the way I do my NST"

Have you checked out Calibre Companion in the Play market?  If I understand correctly, it's written by people who either are or are tied to the Calibre devs. 

when I was using the HD+ CC was working very well for me, it was as if I was managing a properly connected android device. 

MTP is a disaster, agreed. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
bobstro
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
bklvr896 wrote:
[...] My point would be, that what you read here and what we, the "power users" feel is necessary, may not be what the "regular" users want.
B&N should focus on what the power customers want. Do they collectively make more money from thousands of customers who buy one or two ebooks from B&N, or a smaller number of customers who each buy hundreds or thousands of ebooks? What would it have cost to make both camps happy? (Perhaps there's a "fat" glowlight in the works, ala the old Macs?)
To me, it's a question of long-term usability for consuming B&N content versus initial shelf-appeal for an impulse buy. I wonder what the real driver behind dropping removable storage is. The device isn't priced cheaply enough to make me think they cut out every possible extra feature to save a buck per device.
Frequent Contributor
Larryb52
0 Kudos

I stopped at my BN afterwork and was impressed with the new reader, very dark text even with the light and the light was very even and a big improvement ove the last version. Text was sharp and clear and all the fonts looked more than good and you could see the HD improvement. I put my name on the list as they had sold out very nice addition to the nook family IMO and tho no mem slot that is not a biggie for me and there is still plenty of room on there to add the few titles I have converted from PDF, I don't have one so no idea what new menu changes they may have added but its nice just to see a new device from BN...

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

Power users versus power customers are very different things. Power customers want more storage for B&N books, better shelving, and ease of use; they could care less about having more than 512 mg of space for sideloading, because they buy almost all of their books from B&N.

keriflur

bobstro wrote:
bklvr896 wrote:
[...] My point would be, that what you read here and what we, the "power users" feel is necessary, may not be what the "regular" users want.
B&N should focus on what the power customers want. Do they collectively make more money from thousands of customers who buy one or two ebooks from B&N, or a smaller number of customers who each buy hundreds or thousands of ebooks? What would it have cost to make both camps happy? (Perhaps there's a "fat" glowlight in the works, ala the old Macs?)
To me, it's a question of long-term usability for consuming B&N content versus initial shelf-appeal for an impulse buy. I wonder what the real driver behind dropping removable storage is. The device isn't priced cheaply enough to make me think they cut out every possible extra feature to save a buck per device.

It wouldn't have taken much - offer two devices, one with 8gb storage for, say $20 more.  And done.