flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,923
0 Kudos

Re: New NOOK Glowlight

keriflur wrote:

It wouldn't have taken much - offer two devices, one with 8gb storage for, say $20 more.  And done.

If there was one thing BN was adamant about in their press briefings yesterday it was that they're being way more conservative with device orders. Production runs for devices like this are only economical if you're getting a large number produced, and eInk devices - even the popular ones - just don't sell in huge quantities.

Look at the Kobo Aura HD. Kobo flat out stated when they launched the line that eInk had only produced 300k of the screens of that size and resolution. They're still being sold, despite exceeding the company's sales estimates.

BN got burned last year for producing too many different models. That was the entire cause for the fiscal cliff they fell off - NOOK sales weren't too much lower, but with the increased production runs from having 7 new device SKU's they got swamped by inventory they couldn't move. At the moment I think BN management is playing it safe rather than sorry.

That being said: I personally think a "Glowlight Pro" is a fantastic idea.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

I'd be more than happy to special order a device with more storage.  I doubt I'm alone. 

Distinguished Correspondent
msmoonlite
0 Kudos

Wait, forgive me for asking a really dumb question, but with no SD slot how do you get books on to the device? Or do all of the 2000 books have to be BN content?

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

You sideload them from your computer via the USB cord.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Distinguished Correspondent
msmoonlite
0 Kudos

Thanks!!

For people that have seen them in store, are they only selling that one cover with the three color options? (dealbreaker for me since I carry my nook with me everywhere and the new cover doesn't look sturdy at all).

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

msmoonlite wrote:

Thanks!!

For people that have seen them in store, are they only selling that one cover with the three color options? (dealbreaker for me since I carry my nook with me everywhere and the new cover doesn't look sturdy at all).

Yes, and it does not seem like old NST/G covers will work for the NGL.  The shell I had was a touch too loose for my taste (I -could- technically still use it as the NSTG and NGL are the same heigth and width, it's just the depth of the device that throws the shell off). 

I imagine other covers may come about shortly, I certainly hope so, and I bet third party vendors will have a few cases for the NGL in the future.  It's something I wish B&N gave a bit more thought to. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

Re: Android OS versions and processor speeds

bobstro wrote:

The NST was 800 MHz according to most everything I've read. In any case, I don't think the new processor is any slower. I do wonder about the veracity of the leaked data sheet... unless the "new" NST is being slowed down (yikes).

You want "slowed down"?

Buy an HP 50g calculator.

This runs a (~250MHz)  ARM processor at 80MHz for battery life. On top of this ARM processor is an EMULATOR for the HP SATURN processor (Used in much older calculator) which is running the INTERPRETER for user level RPL.

My 50g actually responds to keystrokes slower than my 49sx! (yet has most of the same functionality)

Baron Wulfraed
Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

Re: So what does "Always on" mean?

bobstro wrote:

Yes, but that doesn't explain what "stays powered up when you're on the go" means. I'm unclear if they're just saying they get the same battery life as the old NST even with the glow light, or if they're describing some new feature.

I suspect that means the standby mode... Not a real power-off state.

Baron Wulfraed
Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
0 Kudos

Re: The NOOK in the middle

roustabout wrote:

Omnigeek writes "I still can't manage my HD with Calibre the way I do my NST"

Have you checked out Calibre Companion in the Play market?  If I understand correctly, it's written by people who either are or are tied to the Calibre devs. 

when I was using the HD+ CC was working very well for me, it was as if I was managing a properly connected android device. 

MTP is a disaster, agreed. 

Yes I have, I still don't like it as much as direct connection the NC, NT and NST all have/had.

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, The Heritage of Shannara, Lonely Planet: Melbourne & Victoria
Distinguished Wordsmith
TXAnnie
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I just bought my new nook and have to say I love it! Yes, it doesn't have everything to make everyone and their brother happy but it is great. I am a true nook fan and still have my original nook which has been my only nook hardware purchase. I also love it, but it is full and I know it will not last forever. I hate to give it up, but oh my. The new nook is so very, very light by comparison. Also I remember the original nook was a pain to set up (at least to me at the time). I charged my new one but was afraid to tackle setting it up and learning a new "system" as I am brain dead from a tough day at work. I was anxious and couldn't wait til I had a full functioning brain, and it was so easy to get it up and reading. I basically found book I was reading, found "go to" function, and set font. I love it. It is a beautiful, easy to use, very light weight ereader with a glowlight you can use or not use. It is easy to read and holds a lot of books with an easy to use library of book covers. It's not my iPad, my camera, my anything but an ereader--just what I wanted!
Inspired Contributor
ConnieL4193
0 Kudos

Amen to that TXAnnie. Couldn't agree more.
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

I picked up my new Glowlight this evening, got my 10% member discount and when I got home, there was an email with a $5 credit to buy books, for purchasing the Nook.  Not a bad deal.

I saw, as others have reported, they only have the snap on cover.  Since the store could only find gray, gray and more gray covers, I opted to wait.  I'll either see what else comes out, or order it from the website in something other than gray.

Inspired Contributor
ConnieL4193
0 Kudos

No cover for me. I've never been big on them as they just add more weight/bulk and often times detract from the device's appearance. I simply don't see the need on these small Ereaders as they are relatively well made and unless you really beat up your Nook, it isn't likely to get damaged all that easily even if you throw it in a purse or briefcase.  My NGL is naked and I like it that way.

Contributor
MLR3
0 Kudos

I am a NOOK lover, all the way back to the first edition 3G.  My favorite Nook, though, is the NSTG, because I travel so much, I always end up reading in the dark in the car or at night in bed.  I have never had any of the problems with the light or the screen that others have complained of.  So, a new glowlight is exciting to me. 

I don't mind much about the micro SD, because I never end up using the SD card I have in mine (although I don't get why they would remove this when many people do use it). 

So, I was all ready to order this new Nook until I read that there are no side buttons.  That is it for me.  It really is. I use the buttons non-stop, and I hate touching the screen.  I have the Nook Tablet, but use it for other things, not reading, because it doesn't have the buttons.    I am sure, as others have said, that I "could" get used to it, but why?  Does it really cost that much for the company to risk upsetting very loyal readers and losing a potential sale?  I mean, I paid the $250 for the First Edition back when, I would rather pay a little more and have all of the perks.  It is like we're going backwards.  I am just going to try to hold out on this version as long as possible.  Maybe the next version will bring back the buttons.:smileysad:

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

For the record everyone who gets a new device (not just the NGL, a NST, NSTG, Nook HD, Nook HD+ all of them, just has to be new) will get that 5$ gift.  It does need to be used fairly quickly though so please do try and use it.  I do not think anything can be done once it expires.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Inspired Contributor
ConnieL4193
0 Kudos

I was actually surprised to see that $5 credit show up like that. When I bought my HD+ about a month ago, it took a good day or so to show up. This one showed up by the time I got home and registered the thing. Nice!

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

For the record everyone who gets a new device (not just the NGL, a NST, NSTG, Nook HD, Nook HD+ all of them, just has to be new) will get that 5$ gift.  It does need to be used fairly quickly though so please do try and use it.  I do not think anything can be done once it expires.

If you have other gift cards on your account, you should remove them before purchasing a book, so it uses this one first.  Of course, make sure you still have the gift card so you can add it back after you use up the credit.   It has a very short expiration date, I think mine was November 5.

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,244
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

What's in a name?

[ Edited ]

flyingtoastr wrote:

Let's get this out of the way first:

1. There are no page turn buttons
  2. There is no SD card slot

Grab yer pitchforks and torches and get it out of your system.

Which means that rooting will be more difficult (which no doubt pleases you).

Oh wait;  there seems to be almost no interest in rooting this device;  there is only one thread that I could find discussing this device, and most of it was not discussing rooting.

I wonder why that is??? :smileywink:

As to why I refer to this device as "this device" :  I don't know what to call it.  The name "Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight" was so ridiculously long, that many people simply referred to it as the "Nook Glowlight" or even the "Nook Glow".

So, in a stunning example of marketing confusion, this device is named the "Nook Glowlight".  I'm sure this helps B&N customer support figure out which device a customer has, without asking additional questions.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
2 Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
keriflur

Re: What's in a name?

DeanGibson wrote:

So, in a stunning example of marketing confusion, this device is named the "Nook Glowlight".  I'm sure this helps B&N customer support figure out which device a customer has, without asking additional questions.

Customer: I'm having an issue with my nook with the glowlight.

Support: Which one?  From this year or from last year?

Customer: From this year.

Support:  The new one, like on the website?

Customer: It was on the website when I bought it.

Support:  Does it have little spots of light leaking out of the screen?

Customer:  Yeah, yeah it does.

Support:  Ah, okay, that's last year's model.

Inspired Contributor
ConnieL4193
0 Kudos

Re: What's in a name?

You guys are bad. :smileytongue:  In the interest of simplicity, lets go with NSTG and NGL (figure it out).  I still like my NGL.  HA!