Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Re: What's in a name?

keriflur wrote:

DeanGibson wrote:

So, in a stunning example of marketing confusion, this device is named the "Nook Glowlight".  I'm sure this helps B&N customer support figure out which device a customer has, without asking additional questions.

Customer: I'm having an issue with my nook with the glowlight.

Support: Which one?  From this year or from last year?

Customer: From this year.

Support:  The new one, like on the website?

Customer: It was on the website when I bought it.

Support:  Does it have little spots of light leaking out of the screen?

Customer:  Yeah, yeah it does.

Support:  Ah, okay, that's last year's model.

More like

Customer: I'm having an issue with my Nook Glowlight

Support: Which one, is it black or is it white?

Customer: It's black.

Support: Ok what's the problem you're having.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
keriflur

So you're saying the new one is white so that support will know which one they have?  LOL, the logic here.

Mercury_Glitch

No, I'm pointing out that the questions you posed are laughably unneeded.  The logics indeed.

keriflur
0 Kudos

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

No, I'm pointing out that the questions you posed are laughably unneeded.  The logics indeed.

Actually, is sounds a lot like you're saying you can't take a joke.

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Text does make a poor medium for humor, sadly.

No harm, no foul? :smileyhappy:

Inspired Contributor
ConnieL4193
0 Kudos

Seems to do ok with sarcasm though (sometimes) :smileywink:

bobstro
0 Kudos

Riiight.

tcs
Contributor
tcs

Re: New NOOK Glowlight

Sleel wrote:

"Good? Ok."

No.  Not OK.  These are my two favorite features (and I prefer the black bezel as well), and also what made the Nook stand out among its competitors.  Less choice and fewer features is rarely "good".  I'm jumping ship.

I second the "Not OK"!

I can live without the buttons, and I actually like the white (I have a smoke HD), but the lack of an SD Card is a big negative, given the sideloading restriction.  It seems way over priced for a new model with fewer features.  I think I'll wait for the next model, which hopefully will be a step foreward!

--
The love of learning, the sequestered nooks,
And all the sweet serenity of books.
~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
MacMcK1957

The more I see the more I think that this model was primarily not designed to tempt existing NST or NSTG users to upgrade. It seems specifically designed to match the Kindle Paperwhite. No buttons, like the KPW. No SD card slot, like the KPW. Available space, weight, size, pixel density, all basically a match to the KPW. This is not a device targeted to me. It's targeted to the customer thinking about a KPW.
keriflur
0 Kudos

MacMcK1957 wrote:
The more I see the more I think that this model was primarily not designed to tempt existing NST or NSTG users to upgrade. It seems specifically designed to match the Kindle Paperwhite. No buttons, like the KPW. No SD card slot, like the KPW. Available space, weight, size, pixel density, all basically a match to the KPW. This is not a device targeted to me. It's targeted to the customer thinking about a KPW.

And with no differentiating device factors, that leaves ebook pricing to distinguish the two devices. 

Distinguished Wordsmith
TXAnnie
0 Kudos

I have no desire to buy a Kindle. I bought this new Nook because I was looking for a replacement for my original Nook. The new Nook has what I need and I love it. Yes I would have liked a card to hold a zillion books as my original nook is full. But now I know to archive books that I probably won't read again. It has great print, super light weight, and I can use glow light at night. It works for me and I am happy.
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:
And with no differentiating device factors, that leaves ebook pricing to distinguish the two devices. 

A competition that B&N can't win.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,947

keriflur wrote:

I'd missed the part where the Paperwhite ships at $119 without advertsiements, is the same weight, has in-person support, and has access to EPUB books from hundreds of vendors.

There's still plenty to distinguish a NOOK from a Kindle.

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr wrote:

keriflur wrote:

I'd missed the part where the Paperwhite ships at $119 without advertsiements, is the same weight, has in-person support, and has access to EPUB books from hundreds of vendors.

Don't worry, Amazon is going to release a software update to add the mayday button to the paperwhite.  I'm sure video eink will be amazing.  /Sarcasm

keriflur
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr wrote:

keriflur wrote:

Amazon doesn't need in-person support as their phone support is amazing, and for most readers, format is irrelevant.  That leaves ads, which some folks prefer as they're special offers only available to those with the ad-showing kindle, and weight.

If someone is worried about the cost of books, they likely won't mind the ads.  That leaves the 1 ounce weight difference. 

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,947

I think you're way overgeneralizing there, Keriflur.

There are plenty of customers for whom formatting is a big deal. We have a few regular posters here who attest to that.

There are plenty of people who find advertsiements for BUY A NISSAN NOW plastered all over a device you shell out large chunks of money for offensive (I personally do).

There are a ton of people for whom in-store support is a very big deal. Trust me on this one, it's the number one reason people always cited for going with a NOOK over a Kindle. Phone support can't demonstrate how to use a device and give you same-second warranty service. It is still a very big deal to a lot of people.

And there are customers (like myself) where price of the books isn't an overriding factor. It's the same reason I don't shop at Wal Mart - I'm willing to pay a little extra to support a company who's goal isn't to destroy the American economy. I know, I'm a bad capitalist.

Calm down the hyperbole. Just because the device isn't better for your specific usage than a KPW doesn't mean it's terrible.

keriflur

flyingtoastr wrote:

I think you're way overgeneralizing there, Keriflur.

There are plenty of customers for whom formatting is a big deal. We have a few regular posters here who attest to that.

There are plenty of people who find advertsiements for BUY A NISSAN NOW plastered all over a device you shell out large chunks of money for offensive (I personally do).

There are a ton of people for whom in-store support is a very big deal. Trust me on this one, it's the number one reason people always cited for going with a NOOK over a Kindle. Phone support can't demonstrate how to use a device and give you same-second warranty service. It is still a very big deal to a lot of people.

And there are customers (like myself) where price of the books isn't an overriding factor. It's the same reason I don't shop at Wal Mart - I'm willing to pay a little extra to support a company who's goal isn't to destroy the American economy. I know, I'm a bad capitalist.

Calm down the hyperbole. Just because the device isn't better for your specific usage than a KPW doesn't mean it's terrible.

Not hyperbole.  You've stated that there are some people who prefer these things, including you. I've stated that MOST people don't. There's a reason that even though the previous nooks were way better than the kindle, kindle still had more sales.  MOST people don't care about the things you listed, nor do they care about SD card slots, or ease of backup, or storage, or physical buttons.  They care about cost of books (the 9.99 myth is still pervasive) and having what their having what their friends have. B&N is fighting an uphill battle and always has been.  They don't need to be approximately equal to kindle, like they are with the NGL.  They need to be better, a lot better, to get every single person who looks at the kindle and sees something they don't like, because they can't compete on book pricing.

It could be one factor that makes someone say, I'll buy the nook instead.  One thing, not all the things, but if B&N doesn't have that one thing, they just lost a sale, and there are a lot fewer "things" on this new device to differentiate - in fact, other than color, the rest of the "things" aren't specific to the device at all and won't show up in spec comparisons. 

Ultimately, it doesn't matter what I like, or what you like, it matters what gets the sales to keep the nooks coming.

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,247
Solutions: 18

[ Edited ]

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

More like

But mine has a white border, and the light doesn't work.

Which model is it?

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
bobstro

B&N wants new friends

[ Edited ]

flyingtoastr wrote:
[...] Just because the device isn't better for your specific usage than a KPW doesn't mean it's terrible.

The fact of the matter is that B&N didn't develop the NGL to satisfy existing customers. It's targeted primarily at first-time buyers. It's a great device for them, especially if they're comfortable being ensconced in B&N's walled garden of ebooks. It also works for a lot of existing customers, and there's a lot about the new device for them to like. Unfortunately, considering the long-standing issues that could have been addressed that weren't, and the unsuitability of the device for handling large collections, I can only conclude that "old customers" aren't their priority. Looks seem to have been the priority. B&N got a new front page and wants to hang out with new friends. 

With the new B&N management and their proclaimed dedication to the reader and book market, I had hopes that B&N was refocusing on customer retention and enhancing the benefits provided to the "B&N community". When they opened up the HD/+ line to 3rd party apps, I thought our relationship was going in new and exciting directions.

It turns out that community exists only as a figment of the imagination of regulars to these boards. We should have remembered that from our experiences with the NC and the NT. New buyers get the toys and the attention. We are important to B&N only as potential customers for what they can sell us next, not for what we've bought in the past. That's not a bad thing. It's just disappointing.

This all makes sense from a corporate perspective. B&N has to survive. They're not dedicated to keeping prior customers happy, just making money. Management seems to think this is the smart move. The disappointment you're seeing expressed in these forums is that some of us (at least I) keep reading more into the relationship than there is. While I may be fond of memories of B&N, want to support local stores, like paper books, etc., B&N just isn't into me. It isn't reciprocal. I should just suck it up and move on.

With this recurrent ephiphany, I'm now completely objective in how I evaluate devices. I'm just fine with the devices I have for now. There's no urgent reason to upgrade. I have the knowledge and wherewithal to move my ebook collection to any device or format at whim (no thanks to B&N). I've had fewer and fewer reasons to stop by a B&N each year. Now I have absolutely no reason. The holiday season and associated sales are around the corner. The NGL is not for me. eBooks are cheaper elsewhere. The math is pretty simple. I'll be advising friends and family accordingly.

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,247
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

DeanGibson wrote:

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

More like

But mine has a white border, and the light doesn't work.

Which model is it?

Answer:  It's the Nook Simple Touch Limited Edition, sold on the last two Black Fridays, as I recall.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.