flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,976
0 Kudos

New NOOK Glowlight

Let's get this out of the way first:

There are no page turn buttons

There is no SD card slot

Grab yer pitchforks and torches and get it out of your system.

Good? Ok.

The new NOOK Glowlight is available immediately (yes, in stock at stores and online now). The device weighs 6 ounces, has a high resolution (758x1024) eInk Pearl Regal Wave screen, 4GB of internal memory, and IS FINALLY AVAILABLE IN WHITE AGAIN I'VE MISSED YOU.

Ahm. Sorry.

The interface has been rebuilt to leave you always only a single click away from your book. And, importantly, the Glowlight diffraction layer has been improved so it doesn't impact the screen contrast.

The cost is $119. Members save 10%.

Reader
Sleel

Re: New NOOK Glowlight

"Good? Ok."

No.  Not OK.  These are my two favorite features (and I prefer the black bezel as well), and also what made the Nook stand out among its competitors.  Less choice and fewer features is rarely "good".  I'm jumping ship.

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

The first official reviews are quite positive.

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The lack of removable storage is a disappointment, but less of an issue if the device is easily managed. If they've improved shelving and other features, for those of us only using eInk as a secondary reader, it's not such a big deal. I have to think this'll cause heartburn for those who buy extensively and exclusively from B&N. Odd group to alienate.

The buttons are another odd decision if you ask me. I didn't always use them, but I liked having the option. There still seems to be room on the bezel for them.

I'm not crazy about white, but there will be plenty of skins available from decalgirl and others to fix that. I would like the bezel to be a subdued color for outdoor reading.

I like the shape, at least based on appearances. The outer dimensions look to be the same as the NST, but the lozenge, bulging front may cause problems with some cases.

Still basing it off Android 2.1 will be a serious disappointment for the mod community, though I'm not surprised that didn't concern B&N. Perhaps unified firmware with the NST?

It sounds a lot like a Kobo Mini with a larger and sharper screen. I'll have to see the screen before deciding whether to go for one, but I'm glad I jumped for the Mini when it was $39. The new NOOK is definitely an incremental step sideways. They still show the NST on the data sheets I'm finding, so those who don't want the screen features will still have device with more storage available.

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hmmm of course many of us will be disappointed.

With only $10 decrease? in retail price.

And removing color choices as I detest white in devices due to wear and scuffing shows easier.

So now need to spend $15-$20 to change the color? How is that a savings?

Then removing SD card to many user's will not be worth the $119 price to them. It seems to me more of cutting unit cost while maintaining a higher net profit. Could be wrong and just guessing here. So be sure to point out my observation if i'm missing something.

Not saying it's a fail as for many those won't be an issue and $10 less and better screen?

isn't exactly a slap in the face. But removing options and features makes you wonder what else they have removed or cut corners on?

And wonder if they changed the backlight situation any.

As some complained of uneven lighting and loss contrast.

Will have to read some reviews before a finally decision for me and my needs.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,976
0 Kudos

Remember that time I said people would flip out over two changes?

:smileylol:

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr wrote:

Remember that time I said people would flip out over two changes?

:smileylol:

Are you cracking a smile at my post? :smileysurprised:

As not really flipping out myself. And no big deal to me one way or the other.

Just pointing out some of the negatives of their decisions for others.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Not on the website yet, at least not the mainpage and a search for the glowlight returns the current NSTG.  I'm guessing they're waiting for morning and such.

I'll probably head to work early to check out the new ones. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
roustabout
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

If  'flipping out' means 'purchase an NST and NSTG as new in box units become available at discounts, in order to have spares' - well, yes, I think that people will. 

I don't see how this device is a step forward or even sideways for BN. As I think even FT will admit, I have a pretty itchy trigger finger on Nook devices, and I'm not seeing this as one to bring in using Christmas as an excuse...

4 gig of storage is very low if it's the only storage available.  A number of folks found that the ~1 gig of available storage on the NST/G wasn't enough for their BN libraries.

I'm someone who's able to use an NST one handed - dropping the hard buttons is another step backward but for most things I can do without them. 

Thinner bezel, higher resolution - OK, but on balance it means I'm going to be looking much harder at Kobo going forward.  Whoops - just saw photos - the bezels seem to be the same size as the nst/g and the overall look, in the photo, is as if they wanted to mimic one of the kiddie tablets.  

Folks with extensive BN library investments are going to be annoyed, especially if the really fancy bible layouts are in people's collections.  I don't know how many of those worked on the NST devices - I know on the LCD devices some were books and some were treated as apps. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
keriflur

It's not for me due to space issues.  Too bad for them - I was a fairly easy sell, but they shut the door in my face.

IMO B&N sure is digging hard with that shovel.

Inspired Wordsmith
taosaur
0 Kudos

The SD slot isn't an automatic "no sale" for me, but it does hang the appeal of this device entirely upon the volunteer developers and the Android base. If people are able to get alternative readers, RSS, manga and the like working, then the screen is good enough and I can maybe live with the limited storage. I'm still thinking the Kobo Aura HD might be the better way to go, though. I've been wanting to pull the trigger on my first E Ink device for about a year now, since the pixel density started getting into a reasonable range compared with the tablets I'm used to, but there are so many trade-offs in every new device.

Bibliophile
laurieb52

[ Edited ]

They should have had 8 gig of storage if they weren't doing an SD card slot. The 4 Gig is enough for me right now, but it's likely I would run out of space in about 18 months.

I'm waiting to see what shelving is like before I decide....

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Contributor
pink1ky
0 Kudos

I read earlier on Cnet, I think, that members would get a 10% discount. that would be a first.
Contributor
pink1ky
0 Kudos

Sorry, my bad. I saw the member discount reference on the USA Today Tech page
Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

Looks like the profile aspect ( I stopped the video when they clicked on the library options) is continued, and more magazines and newspapers are readable on the eink device. Of the 4 gig, 2 is reserved for B&N content and 512 mg is reserved for sideloaded content.

http://goodereader.com/blog/electronic-readers/hands-on-with-the-new-barnes-and-noble-nook-with-glow...

Distinguished Wordsmith
TXAnnie
0 Kudos

Just wondering about how many B&N books it will hold? I've only ever had the original nook. When you register to a new device are all of your books automatically loaded or do you choose the ones to download? I've now been archiving books I don't think I'll reread but originally I never thought to. Now my Nook is full so I have to archive before I download new books.
Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The new nook will hold 2000 books, and all the ones in your B&N library are available for download, but you can choose to not download all of the books.

Distinguished Wordsmith
TXAnnie
0 Kudos

Thank you so much Laurie!
Inspired Correspondent
Htom_Serveaux

No SD card: sounds bad, but then I always stick SD cards in every device I have that accepts them and then find I have nothing or next to nothing on them.  So I'll deal.

No buttons: IS bad, I hate touching the screen and I always use the buttons.  Either have to finger up the screen or resort to toting a stylus around.

White frame: Yuck.  Seems kind of 90's, but it's not a make-or-break.

I wish they would have put that display in a non-glow-light version.  I retired my NSTG for two NSTs (while they were on sale) because I was tempted to check out the NST by it's sale price and found the display was vastly better than the NSTG.  So unless the light diffraction layer has simply disappeared (and that just doesn't seem possible) the full impact of all those lovely pixels will be masked.

All that said, I always wind up with the new nook.  :-)

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The new nook just posted for sale on the B&N website... Looks like it uses the same charging cord.