Inspired Wordsmith
robotecture
Inspired Scribe
orb9220

Re: New NT root method boots from SD card

[ Edited ]

I knew it wouldn't be too long as those devs over there at XDA rock.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

Dean, can give a little more detail on the boot files that you warn may be changed by sidebooting? 

I screwed up my NT trying to make it like an NST two nights ago, and last night did a rather manual version of this (booted from an SD card similar to Adam's, copied in and chmodded su, rebooted and then manually brought in gapps) after reinstalling 1.4.1 rather than stepping back to 1.4.0 and rooting. 

I still have the dd images of the first several stock partitions around, so I can restore to that state if need be, but I'm curious about what the state of my various boot bits is at this point :smileyhappy: 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Contributor
COCyclist

Thank Goodness!  My money will go to the SDCard and not to B&N disaster of a app store.  B&N would it have been better to open this hardware up yourself and have happy customers as opposed to angry customers that must look elsewhere?  Shot yourself in the foot again.  You know if you quit banging your head up against the wall it will quit hurting. 

DeanGibson
Topics: 93
Kudos: 2,334
Solutions: 18

[ Edited ]

roustabout wrote:

Dean, can give a little more detail on the boot files that you warn may be changed by sidebooting? 

My assessment of the first "bootable SDcard" process on XDA-devs left me with the impression that a slight (but compatible) change to the internal memory was required (I don't recall the details).

However, the new "bootable SDcard" process on XDA-devs doesn't rely on the internal memory contents at all in order to boot.

Nooks: 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted; 2x Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted;
    HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 (Android 4.0.4) rooted
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G3 & G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2 rooted; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Distinguished Correspondent
Reisnice

Love your new signature, Dean. I think I'm still going to wait a while longer to see what XDA comes up with.  I'd still rather not root if I could avoid it.  The dual boot on NC was much better for my use, if somebody could figure a way to do that.

DeanGibson
Topics: 93
Kudos: 2,334
Solutions: 18

Reisnice wrote:

...  The dual boot on NC was much better for my use, if somebody could figure a way to do that.

Dual boot for the NT is a virtual certainty.  I'm surprised it isn't already available, since all the technical issues are completely solved.  I think it's just a question of packaging.

Nooks: 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted; 2x Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted;
    HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 (Android 4.0.4) rooted
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G3 & G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2 rooted; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro

Probably a case of bad timing with CyanogenMod, as most development is focused on ICS, so work on a new device on Froyo isn't anybody's focus. Once CM9 is out, I'm hopeful a version for the NT will be released.

Frequent Contributor
darkquota
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
CM 7 and CM9 for the NT are already being worked on. Edit: or are you referring to dual booting?
Correspondent
n2ative

store.n2acards.com

Pre-Order Yours Today. Shipping Friday 2/10/2012
DaveAvl

n2ative wrote:
New N2A Nook Tablet Card Available Now

Remarkable.  The developers - the folks actually doing the work of getting the software functioning - refer to what they're doing as ALPHA software, not even beta.  Just yesterday they ran into a bug which led some testers to accidentally brick their NTs.  There is a caution, in red, at the beginning of the thread at http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1481826

Yet here is a product, "Available Now", which piggybacks on their incomplete, use-at-your-own-risk efforts.  Pretty good trick, since the developers have removed the software from availability until they get some more bugs worked out.  See the first post at the above thread... caveat emptor.

Distinguished Scribe
gb18
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Can't speak for the not-a-Tablet n2a card, but I have two Nook Colors that both work great with their cards.  If I owned the not-a-tablet, I wouldn't hesitate to order.

Freedom is not free.
DaveAvl
0 Kudos

gb18 wrote:

Can't speak for the not-a-Tablet n2a card, but I have two Nook Colors that both work great with their cards.  If I owned the not-a-tablet, I wouldn't hesitate to order.

My NC also has a roll-your-own card which works well.  The problem here is that the NT software is bleeding-edge, not just leading-edge.  No way is it ready for general distribution.  Look at this caution from the developers at the xda-developers thread I mentioned:

***** DISCLAIMER ******
Please note software such as this is currently experimental and you use this at your own risk. We have done some in house testing and all has worked fine but we cannot guarantee the exact same results for everyone. We accept no responsibility for any damage or loss on information with you Nook Tablet. You use this software at your own risk.

That "all has worked fine" was before the major bug turned up which hosed part of the onboard software in the NT.  There's a way to recover from that but it's not a trivial process.  If the cardsellers want to risk a tech support nightmare, they're free to press on.  Me, I'll wait a while.

(One correction from my first post - it's a "first beta", not an alpha.  But it still, at this writing, has been pulled from distribution until more work can be done.)

Distinguished Scribe
gb18
0 Kudos

n2ative, where are you?

Freedom is not free.
Correspondent
n2ative

I posted what is on the N2Acards.com website home page and on Nook2Android facebook page.

Wordsmith
TnTexas

[ Edited ]

But N2A cards, on the Color at least, don't root the device. They provide a totally different operating system for the Color to run off of without touching its internal coding at all. That's one of their selling points. I'm assuming an N2A card for the Tablet would work the same way. Since it won't change any internals on the Tablet (take the card out and you're right back to the stock interface, nothing's been touched there), the biggest risk would simply be getting a card that doesn't work; wouldn't it?

ETA:  Hopefully somebody who's better informed than I am can clarify the situation for us, but I just looked at the thread DaveAvl linked to. And from my (granted, limited) understanding, it's talking about a totally different process than what is provided by an N2A card.

Correspondent
n2ative

N2A for NOOK Tablet Product Description:

Turn your Nook Tablet™ into a full-featured Android tablet with the N2A™ Nook to Android bootable microSD card: the most efficient, secure solution to getting the most value from your ebook reader.  The N2A Card is especially designed with all the files you need to tap into the Android system at the heart of the Nook Tablet and make it available for use as a full-fledged Android tablet.

Here’s the best part: our N2A card brings you all the power and performance of an Android 2.3x Gingerbread operating system without affecting the performance of the Nook Tablet—and with no effect on your Nook Tablet warranty.

Transforming your Nook Tablet into tablet mode is simple.  Simply insert the N2A card into the ebook reader’s SD card slot, and power up the unit.  Want to turn it back to use as your ereader? Simply reboot and it will go right back into Nook Tablet mode.

Your N2A card Android tablet will connect to any Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n. Once connected, download and open virtually any Android app such as email, Netflix, Facebook, Kindle, Pandora or other favorites.  It’s like owning a $400 tablet for hundreds of dollars less.  Cards are available in 8-, 16- and 32 gb sizes.

We offer a 14 day money back guarantee.

We offer free technical support Mon-Fri 9am-10pm & Sat-Sun 9am-6pm (Eastern)

Frequent Contributor
UrSunshine
0 Kudos

I'm not a techie, so please bear with me.

But as I understand it,

(1) The rooting availble for NT is still in the experimental phase. (alpha, not even a beta).

(2) But the Dual-Boot mSD Card (runnning 2.3) is available, and since it won't be affecting the stock OS in any way, it's SAFE to use now?

Am I right?

:smileyhappy:

Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

That's my understanding, but my technical knowledge is rather limited too.

Distinguished Scribe
gb18
0 Kudos

Here is how it works on the Color:

http://n2acards.com/how-it-works

Freedom is not free.