0 Kudos

Re: More than one cook ...

Distinguished Scribe
gb18
0 Kudos

Re: New NT root method boots from SD card

DaveAvl wrote:

gb18 wrote:

Can't speak for the not-a-Tablet n2a card, but I have two Nook Colors that both work great with their cards.  If I owned the not-a-tablet, I wouldn't hesitate to order.

My NC also has a roll-your-own card which works well.  The problem here is that the NT software is bleeding-edge, not just leading-edge.  No way is it ready for general distribution.  Look at this caution from the developers at the xda-developers thread I mentioned:

***** DISCLAIMER ******
Please note software such as this is currently experimental and you use this at your own risk. We have done some in house testing and all has worked fine but we cannot guarantee the exact same results for everyone. We accept no responsibility for any damage or loss on information with you Nook Tablet. You use this software at your own risk.

That "all has worked fine" was before the major bug turned up which hosed part of the onboard software in the NT.  There's a way to recover from that but it's not a trivial process.  If the cardsellers want to risk a tech support nightmare, they're free to press on.  Me, I'll wait a while.

(One correction from my first post - it's a "first beta", not an alpha.  But it still, at this writing, has been pulled from distribution until more work can be done.)

Looks like all is well........

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Tablet-General-Discussion/Tablet-and-n2a-Cards/td-p/1292...

Freedom is not free.
Reader
retiredchef
0 Kudos

My apology for this intrusion and I choose you because you seem to be able to do things you choose.

I am 80 familiar with Linux, virtual machine etc, but android, this tablet is an ongoing frustration.

I know its not an ipad, but access to different apps would be nice.

I tried the 2GB SD card root, 15 easy steps (forget it):smileymad: and I knock at your expertise door as it were and ask for suggestions. Whle I am at it is there any app that allows copy and paste and any e-mail app that cuts addresses prior to forwarding.

Cannot offer much in return, however I am retired Executive Chef, former Texas State chef year so while I cannot cook for you I can give culinary advice

Please advise

chef11994@aol.com

or texas.chef94@gmail.com

Distinguished Correspondent
Reisnice

Instead of rooting, you should consider either the n2a or android for nook cards. The last I read, the AFN card had a newer compilation of android, which had some needed fixes, but I'm sure that n2a will catch up quickly. Either will allow you to get to the Amazon or Google android stores, for more choice of apps, and the ability to switch back to being a stock Nook, if you want. Both are discussed here, and have their own sites for research. I don't use an email app, so I'll leave the rest to someone with better perspective on that.
Wordsmith
PJLLB
0 Kudos

Reisnice wrote:
Instead of rooting, you should consider either the n2a or android for nook cards. The last I read, the AFN card had a newer compilation of android, which had some needed fixes, but I'm sure that n2a will catch up quickly. Either will allow you to get to the Amazon or Google android stores, for more choice of apps, and the ability to switch back to being a stock Nook, if you want. Both are discussed here, and have their own sites for research. I don't use an email app, so I'll leave the rest to someone with better perspective on that.

I totally agree with this.   I've tried both cards, and the Android for Nook card plays video MUCH better and is "zippier."

Contributor
cattie2thecat
0 Kudos

You are sooooooo funny!!!!