Inspired Correspondent
MusicmanGG
0 Kudos

New Nook Prices

Barnes & Noble dropped the prices on the Nook Color and both tablets....

They are very good deals now, but makes me wonder of something new is coming down very shortly???

Wordsmith
Melissa19
0 Kudos

Re: New Nook Prices

MusicmanGG wrote:

Barnes & Noble dropped the prices on the Nook Color and both tablets....

They are very good deals now, but makes me wonder of something new is coming down very shortly???

Yes, these are great deals. The new prices are $199 (originally $249) for the 16GB tablet and $179 ( originally $199) for the 8GB tablets. The color has a price reduction of $20 at $149.

Melissa19
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

thanks for the information on the new prices. These are pretty amazing.

1) $149 for Color. It's almost as low as Simple Touch.

2) $199 for Tablet is very competitive with Kindle Fire and Nexus 7 now.

It definitely makes me think Nook Tablet 2 must be close and B&N is clearing stock.

Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif
0 Kudos

Quote: It definitely makes me think Nook Tablet 2 must be close and B&N is clearing stock.

The only reason the price is dropped is due to the Google Nexus 7, and nothing else.

It's a race to the bottom, the product has jumped from having a distinct or differentiated difference and feature set that allowed the NT to get an extra $50 bucks, the Amazon Tablet now joined by Google giant Nexus with similar and even superior performance or feature sets, now becomes the benchmark and that price is set at $200.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,980

yocalif wrote:

Quote: It definitely makes me think Nook Tablet 2 must be close and B&N is clearing stock.

The only reason the price is dropped is due to the Google Nexus 7, and nothing else.

It's a race to the bottom, the product has jumped from having a distinct or differentiated difference and feature set that allowed the NT to get an extra $50 bucks, the Amazon Tablet now joined by Google giant Nexus with similar and even superior performance or feature sets, now becomes the benchmark and that price is set at $200.

Eh. BN has historically been on a 6 month refresh cycle: new products in October/November and April/May.

NOOK 3G came out in November 2009.

NOOK Wifi came out in May 2010.

NOOK Color came out in November 2010.

NOOK Simple Touch came out in May 2011.

NOOK Color 2 came out in November 2011.

NOOK Simple Touch with Glowlight came out in May 2012.

It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to assume another product refresh coming down the pipes.

Though I do agree that the N7 announcement forced BN's hand.

Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif
0 Kudos

Yeah and another upgraded NT model with superior screen due this fall.  That doesn't change the fact that $200 is now the price point unless there is some drastic improvement that creates demand which in turn allows for a higher price.

Personally, I have generally been one to wait one year for the technology to mature and the prices to drop to commodity levels before I buy. 

Distinguished Scribe
gb18
0 Kudos

" reported lower-than-expected revenue in the fourth quarter and said Nook revenue fell 10.5 percent."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/barnes-noble-cuts-price-nook-215634269.html

Freedom is not free.
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

It seems most websites and online commenters agree with your assessment that the price drop is due to Nexus 7.

I think the Nook refresh cycle pointed out above is another reason. The two factors work hand in hand.

B&N must sell ordered supplies BEFORE Nook Tablet 2 comes out. And it must sell them in an environement where $200 is now the new price and Galaxy Nexus 7 is the benchmark.

Wonder if Kindle Fire 2 and iPad Mini will both be announced/released in September. Wonder how B&N will react to that.