DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,257
Solutions: 18

New Nook Touch, now $79 at B&N

And the Nook Color is $149.  Good through Mother's day.

Nooks: 2 HD+/16GB & 2 HD/8GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted;
    2 Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G3 & G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2 rooted; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
DeanGibson
0 Kudos

Re: New Nook Touch, now $79 at B&N

Upon reflection, what makes this even more interesting, is the price spread of current Nooks:

• Nook Tablet/16GB, $249
  • Nook Tablet/8GB, $199
  • Nook Color, now $149 (temporary ???)
  • Nook Glow, new @ $139
  • Nook Touch, now $79 (temporary ???)

The Nook Glow is $60 more than the Nook Touch, and only $10 less than the Nook Color.  I understand the price drop on the Nook Color and the Nook Touch, but not on the same day as the formal release of the Nook Glow.  You have to really want the GlowLight feature, or be a techy experimenter like me.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

I suspect that the thought here is that the Glow is all shiny and new (and glowy) so people will pay more for the new thing, just because it's the latest and greatest and no one else is making anything that does what it does.

NST?  Old hat.  The fact that it's almost identical to the Glow is irrelevant, unless you actually take the time to think about it.

Correspondent
Byteguy

Considering my NST was $139 last year at about this time....

I wouldn't be shocked if the non-Glow days are numbered and we'll see just the NSTG after six months or so at $99.  There really isn't much reason to stock two different units that have only one difference.  After a while, us "old timers" won't be around to complain that the text on the NSTG isn't quite as crisp as the NST.  New users won't know and won't mind.

keriflur
0 Kudos

Byteguy wrote:

Considering my NST was $139 last year at about this time....

I wouldn't be shocked if the non-Glow days are numbered and we'll see just the NSTG after six months or so at $99.  There really isn't much reason to stock two different units that have only one difference.  After a while, us "old timers" won't be around to complain that the text on the NSTG isn't quite as crisp as the NST.  New users won't know and won't mind.

It does look like they're going that way.  IMO that would be a mistake, as long as Amazon is offering a device with the crispness of the NST (which, from my understanding the Kindle Touch is arguably as crisp).  B&N does not need reviews that say, "I bought a kindle because the nook screen didn't have as much contrast and the text wasn't as crisp."

Correspondent
Byteguy
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote
..  IMO that would be a mistake, as long as Amazon is offering a device with the crispness of the NST (which, from my understanding the Kindle Touch is arguably as crisp).  B&N does not need reviews that say, "I bought a kindle because the nook screen didn't have as much contrast and the text wasn't as crisp."

Amazon is going to HAVE to add a glow-light to the Kindle which will impact the screen so we're back to parity.  And, let's face it, Amazon now has ONE real focus; The Fire.  It's the only thing that can support their business model to sell the unit at a loss and make you pay (and pay) for content.  BOOKS aren't going to pay the bill.  It's videos and games and other things that you can consume quickly.

(Putting on my swami hat)... I predict a glow-light Kindle soon just so they can say they compete and then the quiet vanishing of all other models except that and the fire (ok, maybe they'll keep the DX since it's freakishly expensive and pays for itself).  They have SIX current units (plus advert/no-advert variations); that's a support nightmare and confuses consumers.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

Byteguy wrote:

Amazon is going to HAVE to add a glow-light to the Kindle which will impact the screen so we're back to parity.  And, let's face it, Amazon now has ONE real focus; The Fire.  It's the only thing that can support their business model to sell the unit at a loss and make you pay (and pay) for content.  BOOKS aren't going to pay the bill.  It's videos and games and other things that you can consume quickly.

(Putting on my swami hat)... I predict a glow-light Kindle soon just so they can say they compete and then the quiet vanishing of all other models except that and the fire (ok, maybe they'll keep the DX since it's freakishly expensive and pays for itself).  They have SIX current units (plus advert/no-advert variations); that's a support nightmare and confuses consumers.

Actually they'll probably have two Kindle Glows.  One with advertising and one without advertising.  That would add two more Kindlings to the lineup... :smileywink:  Kindling Glowing just has a ring to it I think... :smileyhappy:

►Without order there is chaos◄
MacMcK1957

[ Edited ]

DeanGibson wrote:

Upon reflection, what makes this even more interesting, is the price spread of current Nooks:

• Nook Tablet/16GB, $249
  • Nook Tablet/8GB, $199
  • Nook Color, now $149 (temporary ???)
  • Nook Glow, new @ $139
  • Nook Touch, now $79 (temporary ???)

The Nook Glow is $60 more than the Nook Touch, and only $10 less than the Nook Color.  I understand the price drop on the Nook Color and the Nook Touch, but not on the same day as the formal release of the Nook Glow.  You have to really want the GlowLight feature, or be a techy experimenter like me.

I have to suspect that the Nook Color price is a close-out, and that, long term, they're superceded by the two flavors of NT, just as the N1E is now superceded by the NST and its irridescent brother.  Can't see any reason to continue the NC as a separate product line.  The only question is whether they'll also phase out the non-glow Touch.  This price certainly suggests that they will.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

MacMcK1957 wrote:

I have to suspect that the Nook Color price is a close-out, and that, long term, they're superceded by the two flavors of NT, just as the N1E is now superceded by the NST and its irridescent brother.  Can't see any reason to continue the NC as a separate product line.  The only question is whether they'll also phase out the non-glow Touch.  This price certainly suggests that they will.

I could see them having a big push to close out the NST around Christmas time.  If it ends up around $50 I'd be tempted to pick one up and throw it in the closet for when my current one zonks out, or in a couple of years when my daughter wants to start reading chapter books.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
roustabout

On the display quality, it's worth looking at DeanG's note - with the light off, there's a very small hit in contrast, but even in a well-lit environment, turn on the light at all and the glowworm beats the NST in contrast, to his eye. 

on the pricing:  I think BN has a home run on its hands, and their presales numbers show it.  This is a lightweight, self contained reader useable in all lighting conditions.  It has the long battery of the eink devices, and the nighttime readability of the NC / NT devices. 

I preordered not one but two, one for me and one for my girlfriend, and while I'm prepared to admit I'm a gadget geek with a nasty tablit habit I do usually wait until a product has been on the market long enough that I'm sure it fits my needs, or can be made to. 

I wanted one pretty much once they were announced;  once I heard that she wanted one as well, the preorder was in. 

In some ways, this is a more valuable device than the nook color is - lighter, readable under wider conditions, long battery life - and for the folks who kinda-sorta want a tablet, the NT variants are very good value. 

when the NST was announced, my big disappointments were no audio and no light.  I wound up getting one a couple of months later, once I found that it was the only way to get the New Yorker (at that time) and that it was rootable as all get out. 

BTW, BN, enable bluetooth audio on this for next year's model, and you may be able to upsell me again.  Just saying that my altec inmotion air is a fabulous speaker and works well with many devices.  (One killer feature for me is that it comes with a kick-ass USB to bluetooth antenna that my nas supports, so I can listen to any file on the NAS without a computer on.) 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
keriflur
0 Kudos

roustabout wrote:

On the display quality, it's worth looking at DeanG's note - with the light off, there's a very small hit in contrast, but even in a well-lit environment, turn on the light at all and the glowworm beats the NST in contrast, to his eye. 

on the pricing:  I think BN has a home run on its hands, and their presales numbers show it.  This is a lightweight, self contained reader useable in all lighting conditions.  It has the long battery of the eink devices, and the nighttime readability of the NC / NT devices. 

I preordered not one but two, one for me and one for my girlfriend, and while I'm prepared to admit I'm a gadget geek with a nasty tablit habit I do usually wait until a product has been on the market long enough that I'm sure it fits my needs, or can be made to. 

I wanted one pretty much once they were announced;  once I heard that she wanted one as well, the preorder was in. 

This is exactly why I think it would be a mistake to pull the NST and sell only the NST Glow.  Because different people want and value different things.

I wanted an NST because I absolutely didn't want a device that needed a light on all the time to have good contrast.  I don't care for the battery life trade-off, and I hardly ever want a light on my device.  The Glow doesn't fit my needs as well as the NST does.  BUT, this is me, and that's you, and Dean, and everyone is different.  :smileyhappy:

roustabout

[ Edited ]

Keri, have you seen the glowworm yet?  

Dean's phrasing indicated to me that without the light, you'd have to be more persnickety than Dean is - and let's face it, that's Pretty Bloody Persnickety - to see that there's a contrast differential.

Once the light is on, even at low levels, the glowworm apparently does far better than the NST.  

So I'd want to (and tonight and tomorrow will be able to) compare the two side by side before I was convinced that the contrast change is really perceptible by mortals who live out here well past the error margins like me.   

And it's not that I'm not picky about display quality - I paid HP quite a lot of money for my display at the house, and then more money for a Spyder color calibrator to keep it in tune.   

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
keriflur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

roustabout wrote:

Keri, have you seen the glowworm yet?  

Dean's phrasing indicated to me that without the light, you'd have to be more persnickety than Dean is - and let's face it, that's Pretty Bloody Persnickety - to see that there's a contrast differential.

Once the light is on, even at low levels, the glowworm apparently does far better than the NST.  

So I'd want to (and tonight and tomorrow will be able to) compare the two side by side before I was convinced that the contrast change is really perceptible by mortals who live out here well past the error margins like me.   

And it's not that I'm not picky about display quality - I paid HP quite a lot of money for my display at the house, and then more money for a Spyder color calibrator to keep it in tune.   

Yes, I have.  I posted on it in a couple of different threads, just not this one until now.  :smileywink:

I had absolutely no trouble in seeing a difference in the contrast between the two devices (both store demo models) with the glow's light off.  I felt that in a side-by-side comparison it was easy to see the difference in contrast - the background of the glow's screen was darker (with a slightly warm hue), the text lighter.  I also compared the glows that my store had and they all looked the same.

I feel that when looking at the glow alone, the contrast is completely acceptable.  It's just not as high as on the NST.

I did not compare the NST to the glow while the glow's light was on, as I have no interest in reading with the light on when I don't need to.

As I stated in other threads, I feel that the choice between these two devices is completely subjective.  Some people will be bothered by the contrast difference, and some won't notice it at all.  I notice it, but I'm not bothered by it.  But do I want to pay more $$ for a device that has less contrast so I can have a light I'll rarely use?  No, I don't.

ETA: Please don't get me wrong, I think the glow is a great device.  If I wasn't busy buying boatloads of paddleboard gear (pun intended) I'd probably buy one just to have it for the rare occasion when I read in bed.  I like it.  But if I didn't have a nook already, and the nook glow was the only nook available, and I was doing a side-by-side comparison to decide btw a kindle touch and a nook glow, I'd pick the device with the most contrast.  So as long as there are devices out there that have more contrast than the nook glow, and there aren't devices out that have more contrast than the NST, I think B&N should keep the NST in the lineup.

AlanNJ
0 Kudos

I'm pretty sure I'm not buying anything at B&N for the moment.  I just read in interview with the CEO of B&N saying they'll possibly be adding an NFC chip in upcoming models providing even more functionality.

DeanGibson
0 Kudos

Remember the anti-glare screen

[ Edited ]

keriflur wrote:

I had absolutely no trouble in seeing a difference in the contrast between the two devices (both store demo models) with the glow's light off.  I felt that in a side-by-side comparison it was easy to see the difference in contrast - the background of the glow's screen was darker (with a slightly warm hue), the text lighter.  I also compared the glows that my store had and they all looked the same.

Did your B&N store have anti-glare screen protectors on the Nook Touches used for comparison?  Mine did, for my comparison (in another thread).

Unfortunately my own two Nook Touches (w/o anti-glare screen protectors) are participating in "Dean's patented LoanOut™ Program" (not to be confused w/ B&N's "LendMe®" program), so I can't do that comparison right now.

But remember, my in-store comparison (including contrast) was between two Nooks w/ anti-glare screen protectors installed:  one by the store, and one during manufacture.

DeanGibson

[ Edited ]

AlanNJ wrote:

I'm pretty sure I'm not buying anything at B&N for the moment.  I just read in interview with the CEO of B&N saying they'll possibly be adding an NFC chip in upcoming models providing even more functionality.

Yeah, I saw that.  At first I thought it was an April Fool's Day joke (seriously), and checked the date.

That's just what I need;  something to draw me into a B&N store.  Question:  How can you tell if your local B&N store is open?  Answer:  Some kid is crying inside.  When babies aren't crying in a particular aisle, two teenagers are smooching or giggling there.

I don't see the logic in this (NFC chip, that is).  I'd rather do my product research online, thank you, and only go to a store (any store, even w/o kids) when I need have to.

B&N, if you want to add hardware that will help us get to a B&N store, include a GPS chip in the Nooks.  At least that will be useful.

DeanGibson
0 Kudos

Let's help Amazon

AlanNJ wrote:

Actually they'll probably have two Kindle Glows.  One with advertising and one without advertising.  That would add two more Kindlings to the lineup... :smileywink:  Kindling Glowing just has a ring to it I think... :smileyhappy:

"Glow" is already taken by B&N.  More likely, the "Kindle Twinkle" and "Kindle Sparkle".

AlanNJ
0 Kudos

DeanGibson wrote:

AlanNJ wrote:

Yeah, I saw that.  At first I thought it was an April Fool's Day joke (seriously), and checked the date.

That's just what I need;  something to draw me into a B&N store.  Question:  How can you tell if your local B&N store is open?  Answer:  Some kid is crying inside.  When babies aren't crying in a particular aisle, two teenagers are smooching or giggling there.

I don't see the logic in this (NFC chip, that is).  I'd rather do my product research online, thank you, and only go to a store (any store, even w/o kids) when I need have to.

B&N, if you want to add hardware that will help us get to a B&N store, include a GPS chip in the Nooks.  At least that will be useful.

Honestly I can't remember the last time I went into a B&N store and an NFC wouldn't be enough of a draw for me either.  My thinking is that if they're adding an NFC maybe they're adding other surpises although I have no idea what they may be.

I've said it before here and I'll say it again.  My loyalty for B&N is only thru the Nook.  I was always a Borders fan.

Correspondent
Marty-TX

According to ZDNet, Barnes & Noble CEO William Lynch said: "We can work with the publishers so they would ship a copy of each hardcover with an NFC chip embedded with all the editorial reviews they can get on BN.com."

Okay, let me make sure I have this correct.

I can either drive across town and touch a book with my Nook,

- or -

Go to BN.com (or another website) from the comfort of my home with my PC or smartphone.

Hmm, I'll have to think this over for a few days ...

Distinguished Scribe
Schwa
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Marty-TX wrote:

According to ZDNet, Barnes & Noble CEO William Lynch said: "We can work with the publishers so they would ship a copy of each hardcover with an NFC chip embedded with all the editorial reviews they can get on BN.com."

Okay, let me make sure I have this correct.

I can either drive across town and touch a book with my Nook,

- or -

Go to BN.com (or another website) from the comfort of my home with my PC or smartphone.

Hmm, I'll have to think this over for a few days ...

Because people like the experience of shopping in bookstores.  I see people in my local BN aleady browsing the aisles with Nooks in hand.  So do I. Hardcovers (and magazines, and tons of other things) are already coming with QR codes printed on them.  How is this any different?

on topic:  I can see them phasing out the NC soon, but I think the NST and NSG will be a pair until the next iteration.