Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

New giftcard protocol at B&N?

My wife bought a couple of eBooks this week, and in checking the balances on the gift cards, they used the two smallest cards first. 

Perhaps all the complaining finally got through to someone and they did something right?  Anyway, I'm happy with the way things turned out.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Frequent Contributor
eaglewomanEP
0 Kudos

Re: New giftcard protocol at B&N?

Thats good if they finally get it right. Another thing that happened to me with the GC, got several for my b/d, took them to B&N to have them combined into one and they only did part of them, said they can only do 3 transactions in one day????????????

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

That would be cool if they changed that.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,947

eaglewomanEP wrote:

Thats good if they finally get it right. Another thing that happened to me with the GC, got several for my b/d, took them to B&N to have them combined into one and they only did part of them, said they can only do 3 transactions in one day????????????

There are very strict laws involving the use of gift cards (to combat money laundering), and one of the restrictions is a limit on how many times a card can be loaded and the maximum dollar amount allowed to be loaded on a given card.

Bibliophile
5ivedom

FlyingToastr, thanks for the explanation.

I'm having fun imagining a couple of Colombian drug lords using B&N gift cards to money launder their ill-gotten gains.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch

5ivedom wrote:

I'm having fun imagining a couple of Colombian drug lords using B&N gift cards to money launder their ill-gotten gains.

It's more so the people who steal credit cards (pre-paid or not) use them to buy gift cards, use the gift cards to buy merchandise and then return or sell the merchandise.  If they return it they've got a new gift card and it adds another layer to tracking down and terminating the fraudulent gift card, if they sell what they've bought they make 100% profit. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Wordsmith
PlanetGreen

[ Edited ]

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

5ivedom wrote:

It's more so the people who steal credit cards (pre-paid or not) use them to buy gift cards, use the gift cards to buy merchandise and then return or sell the merchandise.  If they return it they've got a new gift card and it adds another layer to tracking down and terminating the fraudulent gift card, if they sell what they've bought they make 100% profit. 

So, you are the kingpin?

give%20up%20cat.jpg

It's a small world afterall except when your far away.
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

thanks for the explanation Mercury Glitch.

I'd read about that - rings of thieves that steal stuff from stores like BestBuy.