Reader 2
MFP16

No New App Releases

I have noticed that there haven't been any new app releases in the shop since December 22. Is there a certain day that new apps are released? If not, why do you think there haven't been any app releases in the past week and a half?
Contributor
reubensitos
0 Kudos

Re: No New App Releases

Maybe the approvers are on holiday vacation? I hope when we get some new apps we get a few decent ones worth the wait :smileyhappy:

Contributor
jkmailley
0 Kudos

Yes...new apps for the new year would be nice...
~My 2 favorite words: Chapter One~
Contributor
Lori6
0 Kudos

Not to mention a decent batch of quality apps. No more silly baby game apps or one of a hundred checklist apps. Hopefully more useful apps like Ebay, Facebook, and Skype.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Do you realize you are responding to a post that is over a year old? And Facebook, etc would have to release the app for Nook, ask Facebook why they don't.
Distinguished Correspondent
sparky_80
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:
 And Facebook, etc would have to release the app for Nook, ask Facebook why they don't.

If someone ever gets a good answer, please let us know.  I did send a note to some of my favorite apps.  I got back some business-speak that didn't say anything or commit to anything.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,980
0 Kudos

Short answer: Facebook's staff are terrible coders and exceptionally lazy.

Long answer: about the same as the short.

RIM wanted a Facebook app for Blackberry, but apparently the Facebook developers were too busy with just 2 platforms for their official app (Apple Store and Google Play). So RIM made their own app. Which actually works a lot better than the official Facebook app.

Besides, the BN store already has the far superior Friendcaster app.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

:smileyhappy:

Facebook's staff are terrible coders and exceptionally lazy.

This is probably true.

Also they perhaps know what side their bread is buttered on.

Facebook is still figuring out how to make money from mobile (most companies are).

It's much harder to make money from an app than form a website.

So Facebook has an economic disincentive to

1) Not make Apps and instead force users to the website.

2) When eventually forced to make an app, to make it really bad. So users will, of their own accord, pick the website.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

5ivedom wrote:

:smileyhappy:

Facebook's staff are terrible coders and exceptionally lazy.

This is probably true.

Also they perhaps know what side their bread is buttered on.

Facebook is still figuring out how to make money from mobile (most companies are).

It's much harder to make money from an app than form a website.

So Facebook has an economic disincentive to

1) Not make Apps and instead force users to the website.

2) When eventually forced to make an app, to make it really bad. So users will, of their own accord, pick the website.

Facebook has started to charge for a few features, notable promoting statuses and now messaging people you aren't friends with (you can still message them without paying, but it goes to a different inbox).  Both of these actions have been met with a less than stellar initial reception, though I don't know if people are just whining and using the paid features anyway or if they are actually not using them.

I find it funny that there's so much demand for a FB app though.  The app is essentially a direct link to the FB website with a bit of a facelift from a standard browser.  Why not just go to facebook.com and login.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
flyingtoastr
0 Kudos

For the longest time the Facebook "app" was just an apk wrapper around the same HTML5 as touch.facebook.com, so the app was literally the same exact thing as the mobile website.

They finally got around to programming a native app a few months ago. Once again, lazy and terrible.

Bibliophile
Schwa

A lot of apps written for the smartphone market are like this too, not just facebook. The web browsing experience on a cellphone screen is pretty terrible even on a mobile client.  So, many apps are just rewrites of websites for a small screen.  I'll never understand the demand for some of these apps when the web browser on a tablet works just fine.  The only exception being video services as  flash videos are more stable without 4 million* flash ads running on the same page.

Disclaimer:  This is not in defense of the Nook app store, I'd like to see more apps too.  But some of the requests (like facebook) leave me scratching my head.

* this number is an exagerration

patgolfneb
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Maybe I am blinded by my lack of real programming knowledge, but if you already have an android app how difficult is it to port it over to BN? There are some different memory protocols to load it etc, but isn't the huge majority of the actual code the same? Especially for the HD and HD+ which run one of the newest versions of android? 

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

patgolfneb wrote:

Maybe I am blinded by my lack of real programming knowledge, but if you already have an android app how difficult is it to port it over to BN? There are some different memory protocols to load it etc, but isn't the huge majority of the actual code the same? Especially for the HD and HD+ which run one of the newest versions of android? 

I think this was asked awhile back, in some form or another, it was either FT or 5ivedome who answered.  If I remember correctly it's fairly easy to port the app to work from android to BN you just need to make sure it works under the version of android and that the images are scaled properly. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
flyingtoastr
0 Kudos

Mmm. Aside from considerations of buttons (specifically the lack of a hardware "back" or "menu" and the behavior of the NOOK home button) and status bars it's about the same as a standard Android app. There are some unique API's available (like linking in-app to other BN content in the Shop without exiting the app), but nothing really required.

Prior to 3.1-ish Android devices were required to have hardware back buttons, which meant a bit of extra coding to deal with the lack thereof on the NOOK Color. However, Google has been pushing software buttons, especially with ICS and Jellybean, so it isn't much different with a NOOK nowadays.

The other main stumbling block used to be the approval process. You would have to apply to be a NOOK developer, which was only open to people and companies that already had an app published in the GPS. BN would then review your credentials, and if you were selected you would be provided with a provisional file to access the developer options on a NOOK Color/Tablet. There was a lot of friction - it could take weeks for BN to get around to your application, dring which time you couldn't do anything since access to ADB was dependent on the provisional file BN supplied if you were approved. That alone kept a lot of interested parties out of the store.

They've gotten a lot better since then. The registration process is pretty painless nowadays, no worse than registering for a Pubit! account. And ADB access is no longer hidden on the HD series devices, so a potential developer can sign up, make a few tweaks, and debug their app in under a couple hours.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

I'm pretty sure they'd fast-track Facebook :smileywink:

It's trivial. Facebook could have an intern do it in one week or less.

Actually, that's probably who codes the Facebook Apps for iOS and Android.

patgolfneb
0 Kudos

Fivedom, Toaster, your responses make it even more of a puzzle. Given the minimal effort it would take what 1-2 thousand sales at most to justify the effort. Are sales to low or developers just not aware?
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Sales are actually good.

It's just a lack of awareness.

Facebook should do it just out of a desire to improve the user experience. There are so many Facebook users complaining about flash and this problem and that problem.

If they wanted to make money on top of that they could charge $1 and nearly everyone would buy.

keriflur
0 Kudos

5ivedom wrote:

Facebook should do it just out of a desire to improve the user experience. There are so many Facebook users complaining about flash and this problem and that problem.

Facebook doesn't care about user experience.

Wordsmith
PlanetGreen
0 Kudos

Apps @ BN. 14 shy of 9000. Festive indeed !

[ Edited ]

keriflur wrote:

5ivedom wrote:

Facebook should do it just out of a desire to improve the user experience. *(There are so many Facebook users complaining) about flash and this problem and that problem.

Facebook doesn't care about user experience.

*Thats because there are so many users. And in regard to the user exp., Ive got buddy's over there, (guess who, yea ya never know who your bashing or talking about), thats all they care about.

And even if/or ever/should any of them be, in the face of death and disaster, thats all they will ever care about, period.

Even as (in the 10 commandments), the people had a *God among them (cap G), instructing them, when left alone with each other they are filled with fear and uncertainty regardless. Take your lesson about your peers (complaints) from that.

You (those that post) still dont get it

It's a small world afterall except when your far away.
roustabout
0 Kudos

Ft writes  'The other main stumbling block used to be the approval process. You would have to apply to be a NOOK developer, which was only open to people and companies that already had an app published in the GPS. BN would then review your credentials, and if you were selected you would be provided with a provisional file to access the developer options on a NOOK Color/Tablet. There was a lot of friction - it could take weeks for BN to get around to your application, dring which time you couldn't do anything since access to ADB was dependent on the provisional file BN supplied if you were approved.'

One other issue:  for a very long time, BN claimed to be accepting applications to its dev program when it was not actually doing anything with applications, including communicating to applicants.  One could apply and hear nothing for months to more than a year.  Sadly, that time coincided with the time when the nook color was the least expensive and most flexible android dev platform around.  The ill feeling that generated is impossible to underestimate.

If you look at how frustrated people were at BN's behavior with the tablet and app loading, it pales in comparison to how people felt about being misled about developer access.

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.