Contributor
Kujako
0 Kudos

Nook 2.0, no web browser, no sale.

Sorry, but a WiFi only device without a web browser is next to useless. From B&N own "Getting to know your Nook" page they admit that you really wont be able to connect any place that you would reasonably need to such as a hotel or airport.

"If you try to connect to a free public network, please know that nook will not connect to any Wi-Fi hotspot that requires you to enter any information such as an account number or a room number when at a hotel, to enter any payment information, to accept any terms or conditions, or to view or accept an information page that requires a web browser."

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

Re: Nook 2.0, no web browser, no sale.

personally used my browser two times in the last 5-6 months, and it was clunky at best.  not what I bought an ereader for.

when I travel I assume Iwill basically already have all my books and reading materials pre loaded.  even if I didn't I would think most places I go to would have some time of mcdonalds, starbucks, something near by if  had a pressing need to access wi fi.  BUT I will admit I do not get daily news papers etc on my device either.

Frequent Contributor
rafalweb
0 Kudos

I know it's subjective, and personal, but I find the Nook browser to be useless.   I found the Wifi great for browsing books, and buying, but for web surfing, I used it once, and then never again.   So maybe BN decinded that an e-ink browser wasn't the most desirable feature in a deicated e-reader.  Personally, I would agree with them.   

Contributor
Kujako
0 Kudos

Its not a question of web surfing, but of being able to sign onto WiFi spots. It is VERY common for public access WiFi hot spots to at least require you to agree to a terms of service web page before you can access the Internet. Without a browser, you simply can not connect.
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Kujako wrote:
Its not a question of web surfing, but of being able to sign onto WiFi spots. It is VERY common for public access WiFi hot spots to at least require you to agree to a terms of service web page before you can access the Internet. Without a browser, you simply can not connect.

And I wonder after they start shipping the new ones, how often that question is going to come up here on the boards.

Humm, I wonder if they are going to set up new boards for the New Nook?

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

Shocking that they would not have made any provision for ppublic WiFi that requires you to log in at a web page.  I guess with the proliferation of Starbucks and ATT they figure they have it covered but really?

The only time I think this could be a big issue is if I am in an airport or hotel and there is a Free Friday book I want to get and don't have the PC.  Sometimes those freebies have a really short life.

Any bests the first firmware update changes this?

Contributor
Kujako
0 Kudos

"Any bests the first firmware update changes this?"

Given that they went out of their way to remove the browser that is part of the Android 2.1 OS package, I'd not hold my breath for any official remedy. I do however expect to see third party "fixes" from the Android geeks.
Frequent Contributor
JREwing
0 Kudos

I never bought by Nook Classic for the web browser.  I have used it I think 3 times in a year.

The web browser on the Nook is worthless in my opinion.  And that's another reason that I don't use it.

Distinguished Wordsmith
MWorrell
0 Kudos

My phone has a browser and an mp3 player, and is better for those things. So having those features in my e-ink e-reader is a waste. What I will miss when I am forced to upgrade is the color book covers. I just really dug that =(

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

Kujako wrote:
"Any bests the first firmware update changes this?"

Given that they went out of their way to remove the browser that is part of the Android 2.1 OS package, I'd not hold my breath for any official remedy. I do however expect to see third party "fixes" from the Android geeks.

I don't mean them adding a full browser... but some kind of solution for the public WiFi.

bwg
Inspired Contributor
bwg
0 Kudos

Nom-de-Nook wrote:

Shocking that they would not have made any provision for ppublic WiFi that requires you to log in at a web page.  I guess with the proliferation of Starbucks and ATT they figure they have it covered but really?

The only time I think this could be a big issue is if I am in an airport or hotel and there is a Free Friday book I want to get and don't have the PC.  Sometimes those freebies have a really short life.

Any bests the first firmware update changes this?

FWIW, in my experience, those are the places that I have *never* been able to log on with my nook3G.  LOL  The browser always had page errors or refused to load buttons that allowed me to accept T&Cs.  But, there are so many variations of those sites, it must be hard to keep up with such a basic browser...Maybe there were just too many issues and BN didn't want to support it anymore?

Contributor
Kujako
0 Kudos

bwg wrote:

FWIW, in my experience, those are the places that I have *never* been able to log on with my nook3G.  LOL  The browser always had page errors or refused to load buttons that allowed me to accept T&Cs.  But, there are so many variations of those sites, it must be hard to keep up with such a basic browser...Maybe there were just too many issues and BN didn't want to support it anymore?

Again, they had a full HTML5 compliant browser as part of the OS that they went out of their way to remove.

And to reiterate, it is not about browsing web pages (not that being able to check email, forums etc over the web isn't nice). It is about being able to access the internet at all to purchase/download books and other literature.

Contributor
JimMann
0 Kudos

I bought my Nook last summer and used the browser once, just to see what it looked like.

I bought it as an e-reader, not a general purpose device for surfing the web, reading email, etc.  If I'm on the go, I can do that on my iPhone, if I someday need a tablet, I'll buy one like the iPad, but still use my Nook for reading.

Jim

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

JimMann wrote:

I bought my Nook last summer and used the browser once, just to see what it looked like.

I bought it as an e-reader, not a general purpose device for surfing the web, reading email, etc.  If I'm on the go, I can do that on my iPhone, if I someday need a tablet, I'll buy one like the iPad, but still use my Nook for reading.

Jim

What does any of this have to do with needing to agree to terms and conditions, needing to enter a hotel room number, or otherwise needing to open a browser window to actually connect to WiFi to shop?

Your response makes no sense in the context of this thread.

ETA:

To the OP:

I agree with your thoughts on the web browser, though I have decided to order the new NOOK. It would be fine to me if they had one that was only accessible when connecting to WiFi but not useable for browsing.

Reader 2
RJ3000
0 Kudos

This is a great point (and has nothing to do with wanting to use a Nook to browse the web).

Most of the places I regularly access free wifi (Starbucks, Panera, Boloco, higher-ed institutions) do require you to accept terms and agreements via a web page.

But perhaps there's a way to get those log-in page prompts via the Nook software (and if not, maybe it will be implemented in an update since it seems like it will be a common complaint).

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook

I am far from an expert on how wi fi etc work, so take my comments with a grain of salt BUT...

I guess I liken this to my Android phone.  Somehow when I go into places that have an open, unsecured wi fi connection (say McDonalds for example) I get an alert that a open wi fi connection is available and do i want to connect (faster than 3g).  IF I do All I have to do is click yes.  I do not have to go through the internet on the phone, I do not need to open a browser etc.

Now I also know in hotel rooms etc that may not be the same case.  But for now I am strickly speaking mcdonalds, wendy's, starbucks, etc.  Again I don't go through any special browser to connect via android phone.  wouldn't perhaps the new nook be the same case?

even in the secure ones it just asks for password.  does not go through a browser

I could be wrong but I can;t image them selling a wi fi only device that cannot connect to most open wi fi access points when there are so many other devices that do. 

Frequent Contributor
Darkhunter139
0 Kudos

If you want a web browser get a nook color.  Browsers on e ink devices are next to useless.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Wanted to point out that the "Getting to Know your Nook" text in the OP is for the original Nook, not the new Nook, FWIW.

Contributor
Kujako
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

Wanted to point out that the "Getting to Know your Nook" text in the OP is for the original Nook, not the new Nook, FWIW.

Still applicable however. No browser, no access. Despite all the responses claiming how useless browsers are, they are in fact required for a fair number of WiFi access points.

Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

To me, it's kind of like when my daughter was sure she needed the 3G (so that's what we got her for Christmas). She was worried about having a book emergency somewhere with no WiFi, so wanted 3G. Me, I figure before I go on vacation or anywhere I'll have plenty of books loaded already.

In the middle of a 12 hour car ride just this past weekend I had the library book I was reading expire (cr*p!). So I just started reading another book I had on my NOOK.

LisaB