Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook

Re: Nook 2.0, no web browser, no sale.

[ Edited ]

Kujako wrote:

Nallia wrote:

All the NOOK needs is a little popup window--like the one that comes up when a security key has to be entered--that will allow users to accept terms & conditions, put in room numbers, etc.

Yes. That "pop-up window" is called a web browser and is used to display the custom web page for the hotel, airport, etc that is used to authenticate to the WiFi access point.

These pages are custom for each provider and can not be handled by a generic pop-up message. They must communicate via HTTP and send back the proper response to a HTML form or dialog.

so I think maybe hotels and airports and I am sure a few other places may not be able to be accessed via the Nook.

I still think in a pinch one could find a McDonalds, starbucks, panara bread, burger king, maybe a mall (my local mall has free wi fi in the food court area) - just about many other places they couls still use to access wi fi.  many many other places.  like where I live just about where ever I go - they are literally everywhere if I HAD to find one.  heck I went to get some work done on my car at teh dealership (hardly ever go there but did this time) and they had free wi fi while I waited.  no browser screen needed.

YES for a select few places this device is not be as functionaly (maybe) as the Gen 1 Nook.  And for the OP maybe this is the deal breaker. for many of us it may not be, for him it might be. 

I am just thinking for the majority of folks it isn't.  YES there may be some people that are kindle vs nook shopping and this will be the decision factor - can't get to wi fi in hotels, maybe airports etc. 

BUT for many many others I am thinking the decision factor may boil down to other factors (do they like the keyboard on the kindle or not?  do they prefer the touch screen on the nook?  do they liek the slightly smaller nook? etc etc)

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

ellsbells930 wrote:

There are a lot along train stations.   The Comcast website has a map.  The majority are in cities -but are rapidly radiating out from the cities into the suburbs.  My place of employment recently moved to a new building, but in our old building I could access a Comcast hotspot from the south end of the building.  It was great to be able to hunt down free books & download them instantly.

I'm not in the comcast service area, instead we have optimum WiFi (Cablevision) here.

With Optimum WiFi you can enter up to five (I belive) mac addresses of devices on their website that you want to have hotspot access and these devices can then get 0nline without any TOS or signon page.

You might want to inquire if comcast has something similar.

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

sirwillard wrote:

@gstone: I did read your post. The first part of my reply was specifically addressing your post, and is why your post was quoted. To whit, you'll have no issue with your secure WiFi at home even though the NOOK 2 doesn't have a browser. This was ignorance on your part. That's not an attack. Ignorance is not the same as stupidity. It was something you didn't know, i.e. you were ignorant of the facts.

I'll grant that by addressing several things in one response, quoting you, and starting with the "vocal minority" comment I muddled the message. I appologize.

Maybe I should have put nonstarter in boldface? 

If I didn't use a browser to connect my current Nook to a WPA2 connection, why would I think the new Nook is different? I am assuming you know that WPA2 is a secure connection. Maybe that was my mistake making assumptions about what people do and do not know.

With all this fretting about the lack of a browser on the new Nook maybe I should fire mine up and see what it actually looks like.

Frequent Contributor
ellsbells930
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:

ellsbells930 wrote:

There are a lot along train stations.   The Comcast website has a map.  The majority are in cities -but are rapidly radiating out from the cities into the suburbs.  My place of employment recently moved to a new building, but in our old building I could access a Comcast hotspot from the south end of the building.  It was great to be able to hunt down free books & download them instantly.

But, if you have to log into your  Comcast account, then they're not free, correct?

It is for Comcast users. - And that isn't the point. The point is .. that in order to use it to buy books on the Nook you have to log into  to get the wifi.  If the new nook doesn't have browser capabilities, then that is one less way to get books.  That is a major strike against the new nook.

Frequent Contributor
ellsbells930
0 Kudos

Haleakala_LKB wrote:

ellsbells930 wrote:

OPDwife wrote:

The new nook is called the simple touch reader for a reason....they are marketing is purely and simply as an ereader.  It doesn't need a web browser or anything else.... 

Actually, it does.  It needs something to be able to connect to secure wi-fi connections in order to PURCHASE BOOKS.   It isn't about checking your facebook account or the weather.  It is about the ability to purchase books via wi-fi.  If you can't sign on to a secure connections, you can't purchase books in that area.

My current NOOK WiFi did not use the browser to first connect to my home (secure) WiFi. It did that on the Settings page. That is where I put in the key#.

LisaB 

We aren't talking about your HOME wi-fi.  We are talking about hotspots out and about in the community, hotels, etc.

Bibliophile
bklvr896

ellsbells930 wrote:

bklvr896 wrote:

ellsbells930 wrote:

But, if you have to log into your  Comcast account, then they're not free, correct?

It is for Comcast users. - And that isn't the point. The point is .. that in order to use it to buy books on the Nook you have to log into  to get the wifi.  If the new nook doesn't have browser capabilities, then that is one less way to get books.  That is a major strike against the new nook.

But you should still be able to locate other, free, WiFi spots to purchase books, McDonalds, Starbucks, etc.  You are still able to access your home WiFi also.

This is a basic, no frills eReader.  The target market probably is never going to want to try to connect to a site that requires a login page, they probably wouldn't know how to begin with, even on a computer.  It's not a strike against the device, the device wasn't intended to address this particular need.

However, because of this I do think B&N is making a mistake to not continue production of at least one of the Nook 1G, either the WiFi only or the WiFi/3G.   The only choices shouldn't be the simple eReader or the Nook Color.

Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

ellsbells930 wrote:

Haleakala_LKB wrote:

My current NOOK WiFi did not use the browser to first connect to my home (secure) WiFi. It did that on the Settings page. That is where I put in the key#.

LisaB 

We aren't talking about your HOME wi-fi.  We are talking about hotspots out and about in the community, hotels, etc.

Actually, several poeple were expressing that concern. 

LisaB

Inspired Wordsmith
sirwillard
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@gstone: One of us isn't understanding the other. I have no vested interest here, and will I assume it's me that's misunderstanding, and I'll drop this discussion.

Check out my books on Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/profile/wekempf
Inspired Wordsmith
sirwillard
0 Kudos

RSC_Nook wrote:

so I think maybe hotels and airports and I am sure a few other places may not be able to be accessed via the Nook.

I still think in a pinch one could find a McDonalds, starbucks, panara bread, burger king, maybe a mall (my local mall has free wi fi in the food court area) - just about many other places they couls still use to access wi fi.  many many other places.  like where I live just about where ever I go - they are literally everywhere if I HAD to find one.  heck I went to get some work done on my car at teh dealership (hardly ever go there but did this time) and they had free wi fi while I waited.  no browser screen needed.

YES for a select few places this device is not be as functionaly (maybe) as the Gen 1 Nook.  And for the OP maybe this is the deal breaker. for many of us it may not be, for him it might be. 

I am just thinking for the majority of folks it isn't.  YES there may be some people that are kindle vs nook shopping and this will be the decision factor - can't get to wi fi in hotels, maybe airports etc. 

BUT for many many others I am thinking the decision factor may boil down to other factors (do they like the keyboard on the kindle or not?  do they prefer the touch screen on the nook?  do they liek the slightly smaller nook? etc etc)

I'd like to point out again, there's tethering. If you absolutely need this ability, but everything else about the NOOK 2 (or NOOKcolor or what ever else) is what you want look into tethering or get a MiFi. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MiFi

Bibliophile
Schwa
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Haleakala_LKB wrote:

ellsbells930 wrote:

Haleakala_LKB wrote:

LisaB 

Actually, several poeple were expressing that concern. 

LisaB

@LisaB:

Theres no reason for THAT concern (home wifi) AT ALL.

The concern, from the original post, is connecting to PUBLIC wifi without a web browser.  Personally, I feel there is no reason for concern there either as there will probably be a way to do this without a web browser. Just like on other devices that many have pointed out in this thread.

Also, I see no point in arguing over something that we really won't see real experience with for another 1 1/2 weeks.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos
Inspired Wordsmith
sirwillard

Nallia wrote:

16 Days!

But who's counting?  :smileywink:

Other than you? Me! :smileyhappy:

Correspondent
dave47
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

There's wi-fi in plenty of places these days with more likely coming, so I don't see this as a barrier, but YMMV.

Also don't use the browser on the Nook.  I have other gadgets for that.

Anyways, I have plenty to read on my Nook and only really use/need wi-fi when I'm at home.  Again, YMMV.

When you get to a fork in the road --- take it.
AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0

You know what?  I've read this thread and all I can say is if the Nook doesn't meet your needs don't buy it.  Period.  End of discussion.  Fini.  

There's no reason to rant about it.  

Go read your current Nooks now and calm down!  :smileywink:

►Without order there is chaos◄
Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

AlanNJ wrote:

You know what?  I've read this thread and all I can say is if the Nook doesn't meet your needs don't buy it.  Period.  End of discussion.  Fini.  

There's no reason to rant about it.  

Go read your current Nooks now and calm down!  :smileywink:

You of all people should know that Rants are necessary to maintain a healthy forum.

My Nook works fine and I don't see a compelling reason to replace it anytime soon. I wound up in this thread because of posts in other threads expressing reservations about the new Nook it's lack of a browser for reasons I couldn't fathom.

If I had money to burn like someone I know, I might consider a Xoom :smileytongue: 

Naw...What I have does what I want it to do just fine. If I could only hide that stupid browser and games. :smileyvery-happy:

Contributor
jofallon763
0 Kudos

Travelers are probably a big part of the Nook market. If you want to buy a book in your hotel after hours, and you can't use the hotel's wifi because you can't acknowledge the hotel's terms?  you buy something that works, like a Kindle or an iPad. Number two has to try harder to please the customer.

This issue cost BN a sale from me on June 10th.

Inspired Contributor
boe0485
0 Kudos

I can live without the 3G but no web browser is the real killer for me.  I was on vacation a month ago and was able to log on to the hotel wi-fi and check my email everyday sitting at the pool.  I could not read my email on my iPhone because of the glare and my Nook worked perfectly.    Without the browser I would not have been able to access the hotel's wi-fi.

B&N, please rethink the web browser on the new Nook!

Frequent Contributor
JaneRenee
0 Kudos

I didn't read through the entire five pages here, but...

Does anyone think that they will come out with a 3G+WiFi verison of this? I don't want to have to rely on a WiFi connection. I'm also concerned with not having a browser ONLY because of what was mentioned here (hotels, airports, etc.)

Also, does anyone know the answer to these two questions:

-Are there still page-turning buttons on the side (can't tell from the pics)?

-Can you lock the screen from touch? In other words, if I accidentally touch the touchscreen, I don't want to activate something.

Thanks!

-Jane Renee
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

Good questions:

JaneRenee wrote:

Does anyone think that they will come out with a 3G+WiFi verison of this? I don't want to have to rely on a WiFi connection. I'm also concerned with not having a browser ONLY because of what was mentioned here (hotels, airports, etc.)

-Can you lock the screen from touch? In other words, if I accidentally touch the touchscreen, I don't want to activate something.

Thanks!

1. I really don't know, but I doubt it.  It looks like they are moving away from 3G.  I'm guessing it turned out to be more expensive for them than they thought it would be.  But I could be wrong.

2. Yes, there are page turn buttons.

3. That I don't know yet.

Frequent Contributor
JaneRenee
0 Kudos

Nallia wrote:

Good questions:

JaneRenee wrote:

Thanks!

1. I really don't know, but I doubt it.  It looks like they are moving away from 3G.  I'm guessing it turned out to be more expensive for them than they thought it would be.  But I could be wrong.

2. Yes, there are page turn buttons.

3. That I don't know yet.

Thanks for the replies! 

I could handle WiFi only, I guess. However, like others have stated - how can you even use that most places without a simple web browser to log on, accept conditions, etc.?

The only thing I DON'T like about my current 3G+WiFi Nook is that I can't lock the touchscreen at the bottom and that it weighs a lot. It makes my purse much heavier. 

-Jane Renee