Contributor
DP_KY
0 Kudos

Re: Nook 2.0, no web browser, no sale.

At some point, the stores pulled out the chairs that used to be scattered through the stacks.  I have seen this in OH, KY, Georgia, and South Carolina, so I would not call this isolated.

So if you want to sample a book now, the only seating is the handful of spots in the Cafe, which are primarily ( and most appropriately) bistro tables and chairs. The net result is a reduction in seating.  The bistro seating in my opinion should be used first by those using the bistro  to eat, not to read.

The staff are always wonderful.  My comment strictly applies to the elimination of seating.

Contributor
DP_KY
0 Kudos

While I can't claim to be twenty by any stretch, I will admit that part of the JOY of the Nook experience is the immediate gratification of getting the book you want/need.

When I finish a book and enjoyed that author, I  go out and immediately look for the next book from that author or series.   I don't want to get in the car and drive across town or across an island to a store.   While I could claim it is due to my environmental conscience, that is just a benefit.

Frequent Contributor
ellsbells930
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:

ellsbells930 wrote:

bklvr896 wrote:

ellsbells930 wrote:

There are a lot along train stations.   The Comcast website has a map.  The majority are in cities -but are rapidly radiating out from the cities into the suburbs.  My place of employment recently moved to a new building, but in our old building I could access a Comcast hotspot from the south end of the building.  It was great to be able to hunt down free books & download them instantly.

But, if you have to log into your  Comcast account, then they're not free, correct?

It is for Comcast users. - And that isn't the point. The point is .. that in order to use it to buy books on the Nook you have to log into  to get the wifi.  If the new nook doesn't have browser capabilities, then that is one less way to get books.  That is a major strike against the new nook.

But you should still be able to locate other, free, WiFi spots to purchase books, McDonalds, Starbucks, etc.  You are still able to access your home WiFi also.

This is a basic, no frills eReader.  The target market probably is never going to want to try to connect to a site that requires a login page, they probably wouldn't know how to begin with, even on a computer.  It's not a strike against the device, the device wasn't intended to address this particular need.

However, because of this I do think B&N is making a mistake to not continue production of at least one of the Nook 1G, either the WiFi only or the WiFi/3G.   The only choices shouldn't be the simple eReader or the Nook Color.

But if I'm in a hotel, why should I have to go SEARCH for free wi-fi elsewhere?  What if nothing is open at the time I want to purchase a book?

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

ellsbells930 wrote:

But if I'm in a hotel, why should I have to go SEARCH for free wi-fi elsewhere?  What if nothing is open at the time I want to purchase a book?

Then B&N has lost a sale and maybe you shouldn't get a NOOK.

I really hope there is a provision because I don't see this as a stripped down, economy reader.  I see it as a very, very, very focused device on which to read books.  Full stop.  Nothing more, nothing less - and I see it being very, very, very useful (with said provision) for business travellers.  

I, too, hope that there has been a provision made for accepting terms and conditions because it is a feature I would very much like.  I do not, however, believe I am entitled to it.  If the device doesn't meet my needs, I won't buy it.  I will not, however, post things such as "Why should I have to?"  I don't believe I'm entitled to anything I haven't paid for - and if it's not an adverttised/guaranteed feature I haven't paid for it.

Your question seems to imply that they owe you.

Yes, I think no provision for public Wifi purchases would be boneheaded, but it ain't all about me.:smileywink:

Contributor
jofallon763
0 Kudos

If I have a Kindle or an iPad, these are non-issues; each of them has a 3G option and a web browser.

If I have a paperback and the bookseller goes out of business, I can still read the book. If it's a nook book, the DRM on the ebooks might mean my 120 or so purchased ebooks are useless. I do reread books.

Frequent Contributor
JoeNook
0 Kudos

ellsbells930 wrote:

bklvr896 wrote:

ellsbells930 wrote:

bklvr896 wrote:

ellsbells930 wrote:

There are a lot along train stations.   The Comcast website has a map.  The majority are in cities -but are rapidly radiating out from the cities into the suburbs.  My place of employment recently moved to a new building, but in our old building I could access a Comcast hotspot from the south end of the building.  It was great to be able to hunt down free books & download them instantly.

But, if you have to log into your  Comcast account, then they're not free, correct?

It is for Comcast users. - And that isn't the point. The point is .. that in order to use it to buy books on the Nook you have to log into  to get the wifi.  If the new nook doesn't have browser capabilities, then that is one less way to get books.  That is a major strike against the new nook.

But you should still be able to locate other, free, WiFi spots to purchase books, McDonalds, Starbucks, etc.  You are still able to access your home WiFi also.

This is a basic, no frills eReader.  The target market probably is never going to want to try to connect to a site that requires a login page, they probably wouldn't know how to begin with, even on a computer.  It's not a strike against the device, the device wasn't intended to address this particular need.

However, because of this I do think B&N is making a mistake to not continue production of at least one of the Nook 1G, either the WiFi only or the WiFi/3G.   The only choices shouldn't be the simple eReader or the Nook Color.

then just side load it.

Frequent Contributor
_deb_
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:

Kujako wrote:
Its not a question of web surfing, but of being able to sign onto WiFi spots. It is VERY common for public access WiFi hot spots to at least require you to agree to a terms of service web page before you can access the Internet. Without a browser, you simply can not connect.

And I wonder after they start shipping the new ones, how often that question is going to come up here on the boards.

Humm, I wonder if they are going to set up new boards for the New Nook?

No more than a few....thousand times....

Hope to see you later at...

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

Once again, personally I rarely see the need for a "book emergency".  Planning in advance will resolve 95% of these issues.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Inspired Wordsmith
sirwillard
0 Kudos

jofallon763 wrote:

If I have a Kindle or an iPad, these are non-issues; each of them has a 3G option and a web browser.

If I have a paperback and the bookseller goes out of business, I can still read the book. If it's a nook book, the DRM on the ebooks might mean my 120 or so purchased ebooks are useless. I do reread books.

If you have a Kindle or an iPad, why would you care about the NOOK? You'd also have devices for reading books that are sold by the manufacturer that contain DRM. Sorry, but none of this post makes sense.

If you don't like the specs on the N2E, then it's not the device for you. Don't buy it. Complaining about something this silly on here doesn't do anyone any good.

Check out my books on Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/profile/wekempf
Frequent Contributor
JoeNook
0 Kudos

ellsbells930 wrote:

bklvr896 wrote:

ellsbells930 wrote:

bklvr896 wrote:

ellsbells930 wrote:

If you are in a hotel and it's late and there is a book you want and you can't connect via wifi you can also just download the book onto your  PC or Mac  laptop and just sideload it. 

Frequent Contributor
JoeNook
0 Kudos

jofallon763 wrote:

as is the same with current nook  they offer a 3G one and wifi only's and the wifi only's has webbrowsers as well.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

Once again, personally I rarely see the need for a "book emergency".  Planning in advance will resolve 95% of these issues.

Never been sent on a no-notice business trip?

B&N Bookseller
JL_Garner

This is taken right from the NOOK 2 fact sheet on B&N's own website:

Connectivity:

Wireless connectivity via Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g/n)

• B&N in-store fast and free Wi-Fi
    • Complimentary access at 24,000 AT&T Wi-Fi hotspots including restaurants, hotels, and more
    • Connects in most Wi-Fi hotspots including those which require additional information or confirmation through a Web browser

So even though the web browser was stripped out, it looks like B&N has something in place for those locations that require you to accept terms & conditions or log in with a password.

Perhaps now the wailing and gnashing of teeth can cease?

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Thank you JL_Garner.  :smileyvery-happy:  

I swear at one point I went looking for that and couldn't find it.  :smileysurprised:  That, however, does not mean that it wasn't there. :smileywink: 

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

Thank you JL_Garner.  :smileyvery-happy:  

I swear at one point I went looking for that and couldn't find it.  :smileysurprised:  That, however, does not mean that it wasn't there. :smileywink: 

It was not there two days ago when I first looked for it.  Granted, I haven't looked since then.  :smileyvery-happy:

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Nallia wrote:

It was not there two days ago when I first looked for it.  Granted, I haven't looked since then.  :smileyvery-happy:

That was when I looked, as well. I hadn't looked again, either.  

B&N Bookseller
JL_Garner

Ya_Ya wrote:

Nallia wrote:

They buried it in the press kit. I wasn't even looking for that information when I came across it.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

JL_Garner wrote:

Ya_Ya wrote:

Nallia wrote:

They buried it in the press kit. I wasn't even looking for that information when I came across it.

You're my hero.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

Well this should kill about 3 or 4 ridiculously long threads... :smileytongue:

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook

[ Edited ]

Ya_Ya wrote:

AlanNJ wrote:

Never been sent on a no-notice business trip?

I heard one of the Navy Seals took a pass on joining the recon team that took out bin laden because he wasn't sure if his nook would connect in the compound.  He just said no thanks and stayed on the ship...