Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Re: Nook 2.0, no web browser, no sale.

Haleakala_LKB wrote:

To me, it's kind of like when my daughter was sure she needed the 3G (so that's what we got her for Christmas). She was worried about having a book emergency somewhere with no WiFi, so wanted 3G. Me, I figure before I go on vacation or anywhere I'll have plenty of books loaded already.

In the middle of a 12 hour car ride just this past weekend I had the library book I was reading expire (cr*p!). So I just started reading another book I had on my NOOK.

LisaB

I'm of the same mind.  I'm not worried about having wifi everywhere I go since I load up my nook with tons of books, but I have had a stretches where I've had to plug in my nook while reading (I'm not sure mine would make through a 12-hour ride).  The new nook will be great for me since  the battery life is a lot longer, and I can still load up my nook when I'm at home, B&N and Starbucks.

Distinguished Scribe
Schwa
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Nallia wrote:

I agree with your thoughts on the web browser, though I have decided to order the new NOOK. It would be fine to me if they had one that was only accessible when connecting to WiFi but not useable for browsing.

I had the same thought.  It's possible the WiFi connection process may call up a browser for that purpose and still not have a user accessible browser.  I mean, let's face it, this was the only reason there was a web browser in the first place.  Actively surfing the web on an eInk device is like pulling teeth   :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
Zion21
0 Kudos

Well then get a tablet, a nook color, or a kindle. I have never even touched the browser on my Nook.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

Zion21 wrote:

Well then get a tablet, a nook color, or a kindle. I have never even touched the browser on my Nook.

Again, this has nothing to do with the thread.

Inspired Wordsmith
Ozman69

Zion21 wrote:

I love when people don't read the opening post and just write something based on the subject line... Amazing considering these forums are for people who read.

The above is based upon my opinion... yours may vary!
Distinguished Scribe
Schwa
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Zion21 wrote:

I couldn't agree more and this is the point that most people miss.

Wan't a great ebook reader?  Here's the newest NOOK.

Wan't a multimedia experience?  Here's the NOOKcolor.

However the OP was asking about WiFi hotspot authorization, and I wuold guess that the device may call up a mini-browser for that purpose only.  Maybe I'm wrong, too  :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Correspondent
JohnF76
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Are you able to enter in your home router information?

msmoonlite
0 Kudos

Zion21 wrote:

I feel really dumb because I didn't even know there was one. :smileysurprised: Too busy reading with my Nook and surfing the web on the go using my BlackBerry.
Inspired Correspondent
OPDwife
0 Kudos

The new nook is called the simple touch reader for a reason....they are marketing is purely and simply as an ereader.  It doesn't need a web browser or anything else....that is what the Nookcolor is for.  I have the Nook wifi/3g and a Nookcolor and I never get on the web with the Nook.  Doesn't work well.  The new nook is a simple new ereader with a touch screen... very cute and simple. 

When I get a little money I buy books, if any is left, I buy food and clothes
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

JohnF76 wrote:

I would assume you can, you don't need to do that on a web browser page, it's somewhere elese, can't quite remember where but my Nook was hooked up to my home router before there was a web browser on the Nook.

Contributor
DP_KY
0 Kudos

Its really sad that a "small" flaw like this could get through a design process and turn such a promising product into a boat anchor.

I was really excited and then figured out that I could only time I could shop for and download new books was at home or at the B&N brick and mortar store.  I have yet to see an open WIFI site that does not require a browser to accept the terms and conditions.

So until B&N wakes up and solves this, I will remain among the legion of folks that will not be upgrading to a new Nook.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Schwa wrote:

Zion21 wrote:

I couldn't agree more and this is the point that most people miss.

Wan't a great ebook reader?  Here's the newest NOOK.

Wan't a multimedia experience?  Here's the NOOKcolor.

However the OP was asking about WiFi hotspot authorization, and I wuold guess that the device may call up a mini-browser for that purpose only.  Maybe I'm wrong, too  :smileyhappy:

I thought I saw somewhere that someone posted that you would not be able to connect to WiFi that required an authorization page, but, I could have dreamed it, I suppose.

Jadjuka
0 Kudos

I dont' see how not having a browser is a big deal. I was under the assumption that before going anywhere, buy the books you want and load them/side load them onto your nook, make sure its fully charged, and bam, your ready to go. That way if your in an area with no wi-fi or no 3G, you'd still have plenty of books to read. Hey, I'll even re-read books until I get to an area where I can use wi-fi.

Also if people want a web browser, there are smart phones that take care of that issue. Smart phones are pretty much a standard.

I can see though how not being able to access ALL wi-fis in your current location to be a problem. ^^; but that's why its better to purchase all the books you want before heading out or just re-read what you have.

Frequent Contributor
rafalweb
0 Kudos

I can see where  you'e going here, but, to my eye, a device like this uses Wifi to buy books.  Thus, I take it to a wireless hotspot, buy books, and then turn the Wifi off.   I use the wifi occassionally at BN stores, but that's it.  So for me, the possibility that I would not be able to sign on at a hotspot that requires some kind of sign-in doesn't seem much of a limitation to me.  But that's how I use my Nook, and maybe you have other needs...so then your concerns would be legit.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

DP_KY wrote:

Its really sad that a "small" flaw like this could get through a design process and turn such a promising product into a boat anchor.

I was really excited and then figured out that I could only time I could shop for and download new books was at home or at the B&N brick and mortar store.  I have yet to see an open WIFI site that does not require a browser to accept the terms and conditions.

So until B&N wakes up and solves this, I will remain among the legion of folks that will not be upgrading to a new Nook.

I think it was intentional, this is supposed to be a stripped down, eReader only, that is easy to use.  For the target audience, accessing free WiFi hotspots probably isn't a big deal to them.  I'm thinking about getting one for mom and I know she'd never even try to access WiFi somewhere other than home.  The first Nooks did not have any way to access WiFi that required accepting TOS, there was no browser in the originals.  I think it was 1.2 or 1.3 maybe that introduced the web browser beta.  

I have a feeling that the lack of this feature may not impact a lot of buyers, most folks, as was previously stated, simply load the Nook up with books before leaving on a trip or where they won't have WiFi access.

I've never used an AT&T hotspot, but I don't think McDonalds has a TOS screen, not sure about Starbucks.

Wordsmith
Serendip
0 Kudos

JohnF76 wrote:

The router info on both the Nook and Nook Color was through Settings, not through a web browser. I would imagine it will be through Settings on the N2E, also.

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

OK, let me try my post again since the earlier one nobody seemed to react to

on my ANDROID smart phone it recognizes 'open' wi fi's all the time (starbucks, wendy's, mcdonalds) - even alerts me proactively when i am in such an area.  If I DO want to connect I just slide my screen bar down, hit connect, and I am connected.  This is in ALL kinds of places such as the ones noted above.

I am not going to a browser to key in a password.  I am not needing to validate via a web site.  How would the new nook be any different.  I doubt it is.  I am NOT talking about hotel rooms etc, I mean more open wi fi like places

HECK - my son has a Nintendo DS that does not have a browser and he is able to connect and use that all over the place too - at mcdonalds, etc too.  he does not have a internet browser on that, works just fine.

Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

RSC_Nook wrote:

OK, let me try my post again since the earlier one nobody seemed to react to

on my ANDROID smart phone it recognizes 'open' wi fi's all the time (starbucks, wendy's, mcdonalds) - even alerts me proactively when i am in such an area.  If I DO want to connect I just slide my screen bar down, hit connect, and I am connected.  This is in ALL kinds of places such as the ones noted above.

I am not going to a browser to key in a password.  I am not needing to validate via a web site.  How would the new nook be any different.  I doubt it is.  I am NOT talking about hotel rooms etc, I mean more open wi fi like places

HECK - my son has a Nintendo DS that does not have a browser and he is able to connect and use that all over the place too - at mcdonalds, etc too.  he does not have a internet browser on that, works just fine.

You are right, mine does the same. 

LisaB

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

This is either a non starter or one of the biggest screw ups ever. The implication is that you cannot use the device on your home wi-fi network unless you convert it to unsecured.

To my knowlege a conventional browser is not required to make a secure wi-fi connection. I'm using WPA2 at my house and do not remember ever opening my Nook's browser.

Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee
0 Kudos

I've never used my browser, not once!  For me it would not be missed.