.
Reply
Frequent Contributor
DJ_Boxer
Posts: 98
Registered: ‎05-27-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook 2.0, no web browser, no sale.

I have never used the browser on my Nook1 with Wifi/3G.  But, what I am wondering is, what if someone was going to use their phone as a hotspot (in essence: how would it work)?

 

DJ

Contributor
DP_KY
Posts: 8
Registered: ‎01-17-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Nook 2.0, no web browser, no sale.

When I travel, I will get a couple of books on my Nook, but many times, I am trying a new author or series and so only get the first book.   Its after I decide I really enjoy it, that I go and buy more from the same author.  Do you buy an entire wardrobe without trying on clothes?

 

Odds are that I am not hanging out at the Golden Arches shopping for book, and while I used to browse the B&N book and mortar store, they no longer welcome people sitting and reading in any state I visit.

 

I don't need or want  a browser to browse, just to gain access to WiFi so that I can check out suggestions, free-book Fridays, shop for new books and download new content.  I don't want to drive across town to find a WiFi hotspot.   If they are going to neuter the wifi so that only works in a few places, then we need a 3G option.

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
Posts: 758
Registered: ‎01-04-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Nook 2.0, no web browser, no sale.


DP_KY wrote:

... and while I used to browse the B&N book and mortar store, they no longer welcome people sitting and reading in any state I visit.

 


That is strange, since one of the things the tout with the nook is the ability for you to come into the store and read for free (I think for an hour). 

 

I have two seperate B&N I frequent in Ohio and BOTH of them are more than accomidating if I want to come park my caboose in their store for awhile.  they both have cafe's with tables and big ol' comfy chairs outside of them (although I can't remember if the are B&N cafe's or starbucks, but they are attached and in the store none the less).  And both have a second level with a whole reading section with fluffy chairs and all that fun stuff.

 

I have only gone in when I am waiting for the wife or a few times when I get the car worked on at a sears near by.  but those few times I have never been asked to scoot on out.  just the opposite.

 

I thnk they LOVE having foot traffic in the store.  despite how many times I SWORE I would not spend any $ I end up seeing some cute book for my kid or good magazine for the wife or something and out comes the wallet.

 

Inspired Wordsmith
sirwillard
Posts: 496
Registered: ‎06-10-2010

Re: Nook 2.0, no web browser, no sale.


gstone wrote:

This is either a non starter or one of the biggest screw ups ever. The implication is that you cannot use the device on your home wi-fi network unless you convert it to unsecured.

 

To my knowlege a conventional browser is not required to make a secure wi-fi connection. I'm using WPA2 at my house and do not remember ever opening my Nook's browser.

 

 



Gotta love the vocal minority.

 

Let me start with this one, because this one is just ignorance of how WiFi works. You'll have no problems using the NOOK 2 on your home secured network. No browser is required for connecting to any WiFi network. What people are talking about are WiFi networks, such as you typically find in hotel rooms and airports, that once connected require you to display a web page to accept the terms of the service before the network (intranet) you're connected to will let you out to the Internet.

 

Really, outside of hotel rooms and airports, most open WiFi hotspots don't use these intermediate browser pages anymore, at least in my experience. So the need for 3G is really limited. When I bought my NOOK 1 there was no WiFi only model, or I would have gone that route to save money. I can't imagine a scenario where not being able to use 3G would cause me any kind of irritation, much less actual problems. The only thing I can imagine that would change that is if I were a frequent travel that relied on periodicals read on the NOOK... but do you know how small that customer base is? For the rest of us, we'll purchase a couple of books before heading into "WiFi free" zones and never have a problem.

 

Further, an eReader without 3G isn't a "useless brick" even for those that (think they) absolutely must have connectivity everywhere. There are solutions available, such as sideloading from a PC or tethering.

 

If none of this is to your liking that's fine. Don't buy the new NOOK. But outrage and failing to understand that you're just in the minority and the device isn't for you is silly.

Check out my books on Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/profile/wekempf
Frequent Contributor
ellsbells930
Posts: 169
Registered: ‎09-03-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook 2.0, no web browser, no sale.


OPDwife wrote:

The new nook is called the simple touch reader for a reason....they are marketing is purely and simply as an ereader.  It doesn't need a web browser or anything else.... 



Actually, it does.  It needs something to be able to connect to secure wi-fi connections in order to PURCHASE BOOKS.   It isn't about checking your facebook account or the weather.  It is about the ability to purchase books via wi-fi.  If you can't sign on to a secure connections, you can't purchase books in that area.

Correspondent
Anthony1970
Posts: 259
Registered: ‎09-07-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook 2.0, no web browser, no sale.

[ Edited ]

Kujako wrote:

 

And to reiterate, it is not about browsing web pages (not that being able to check email, forums etc over the web isn't nice). It is about being able to access the internet at all to purchase/download books and other literature.


Do people really read that much that they have to download their books/newpapers etc. on the go. (maybe newpapers)

 

Why dont ereaderphiles just download their books before they leave home? In fact how many books does one need when they go on a trip?? No offense but i always find this a rather silly gripe. Its so easy and quick to just connect the ereader to your computer and downlad what you want before you leave home. Is having a particular novel that important that it has to be obtained over the net when you are not home????

 

Now I can understand if you want to read the daily paper or download important documents. But thats what a tablet or laptop is for. Personally I think e-ink ereaders should just be for novels and thats its. They just cannot do web browsing, color etc. efficiently. They mimic b/w paper pages perfectly and that was the reason they were created for in the first place.

Frequent Contributor
ellsbells930
Posts: 169
Registered: ‎09-03-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook 2.0, no web browser, no sale.


gstone wrote:

 

To my knowlege a conventional browser is not required to make a secure wi-fi connection. I'm using WPA2 at my house and do not remember ever opening my Nook's browser.

 

 


To use Comcast wi-fi hotspots, you need to use a browser to connect.  You have to log into your Comcast account before you can use them.  And I have purchased books in those hotspots.  So, this new nook wouldn't work for me.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
Posts: 4,781
Registered: ‎12-31-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Nook 2.0, no web browser, no sale.


sirwillard wrote:

gstone wrote:

This is either a non starter or one of the biggest screw ups ever. The implication is that you cannot use the device on your home wi-fi network unless you convert it to unsecured.

 

To my knowlege a conventional browser is not required to make a secure wi-fi connection. I'm using WPA2 at my house and do not remember ever opening my Nook's browser.

 

 



Gotta love the vocal minority.

 

Let me start with this one, because this one is just ignorance of how WiFi works. You'll have no problems using the NOOK 2 on your home secured network. No browser is required for connecting to any WiFi network. What people are talking about are WiFi networks, such as you typically find in hotel rooms and airports, that once connected require you to display a web page to accept the terms of the service before the network (intranet) you're connected to will let you out to the Internet.

 

Really, outside of hotel rooms and airports, most open WiFi hotspots don't use these intermediate browser pages anymore, at least in my experience. So the need for 3G is really limited. When I bought my NOOK 1 there was no WiFi only model, or I would have gone that route to save money. I can't imagine a scenario where not being able to use 3G would cause me any kind of irritation, much less actual problems. The only thing I can imagine that would change that is if I were a frequent travel that relied on periodicals read on the NOOK... but do you know how small that customer base is? For the rest of us, we'll purchase a couple of books before heading into "WiFi free" zones and never have a problem.

 

Further, an eReader without 3G isn't a "useless brick" even for those that (think they) absolutely must have connectivity everywhere. There are solutions available, such as sideloading from a PC or tethering.

 

If none of this is to your liking that's fine. Don't buy the new NOOK. But outrage and failing to understand that you're just in the minority and the device isn't for you is silly.


SirWillard, I had to give you a Laurel on this one.  And you are right, for the most part, outside of hotels and airports, most of the free hot spots have gotten rid of the TOS page, at least as far as I aware, there may be occasional others, but I think, although not totally sure, that McD's, Starbucks, etc, it is simply connecting.  Maybe the next time I'm in Starbucks I'll give it a try, but for those who are worried about connecting to home networks and B&N's network, I hope you read SirWillards post, it explained it very well.

Frequent Contributor
ellsbells930
Posts: 169
Registered: ‎09-03-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook 2.0, no web browser, no sale.


Anthony1970 wrote:


 

Why dont ereaderphiles just download their books before they leave home?


 

Because you might not be home when a free book comes along - and they don't stay free forever.

 

Bibliophile
bklvr896
Posts: 4,781
Registered: ‎12-31-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Nook 2.0, no web browser, no sale.


ellsbells930 wrote:

gstone wrote:

 

To my knowlege a conventional browser is not required to make a secure wi-fi connection. I'm using WPA2 at my house and do not remember ever opening my Nook's browser.

 

 


To use Comcast wi-fi hotspots, you need to use a browser to connect.  You have to log into your Comcast account before you can use them.  And I have purchased books in those hotspots.  So, this new nook wouldn't work for me.


That would be because those aren't free WiFi hotspots, such as the ones at McD's and Starbucks.  I've never run into a Comcast wifi hotspot, where do have you found them.

AlanNJ
Posts: 3,722
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,528
Solutions: 0
Registered: ‎03-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook 2.0, no web browser, no sale.


Haleakala_LKB wrote:

To me, it's kind of like when my daughter was sure she needed the 3G (so that's what we got her for Christmas). She was worried about having a book emergency somewhere with no WiFi, so wanted 3G. Me, I figure before I go on vacation or anywhere I'll have plenty of books loaded already.

 

In the middle of a 12 hour car ride just this past weekend I had the library book I was reading expire (cr*p!). So I just started reading another book I had on my NOOK.

 

LisaB


"book emergency".  Love it!  I actually think it's absurd but it did make me laugh... There was only one time that I ordered an unplanned book and those were special circumstances.  I had downloaded a free PDF version of a book from an author's site and the formatting was so bad on my Nook that I felt obligated to purchase the book so I could read it comfortably.  That happened while I was sitting in a hospital room waiting for my wife to recover from pain meds.  Other than that I always have plenty of books to choose from on my Nook.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Correspondent
Anthony1970
Posts: 259
Registered: ‎09-07-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook 2.0, no web browser, no sale.


ellsbells930 wrote:

Anthony1970 wrote:


 

Why dont ereaderphiles just download their books before they leave home?


 

Because you might not be home when a free book comes along - and they don't stay free forever.

 


They stay free for one week. I guess if the free books mean that much to you and you are not home for weeks at a time it can be a problem.(though I dont see how missing a free book here or there is going to make or break you) Again a laptop or tablet computer can achieve this for you or even your smartphone. An ereader is not a computer. It should not be expected to do what a computer does.

 

I guess if this is such big deal for you guys though just dont buy dedicated ereaders.

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
Posts: 1,613
Registered: ‎10-21-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Nook 2.0, no web browser, no sale.

1) Posters: Please read the OP and the relevant responses. Reading your knee-jerk response to the subject line is getting tiresome.

2) If you are accessing a secured hotspot, it should work fine as it always has. The issue is for those hotspots that are secure and require some sort of log-in/agreement to TOS.

3) The previous way this was addressed was through the addition of the beta browser. Some new workaround is necessary, even if it's not a fully-enabled browser. I'm sure B&N will shake this out soon, as they did the first time, but it's a big check in the column to not be an early adopter of the new version.

 

And lastly:


DP_KY wrote:
I used to browse the B&N book and mortar store, they no longer welcome people sitting and reading in any state I visit.

While I don't dismiss your personal, subjective feeling/observation of feeling unwelcome, I think this requires elaboration and discussion.

 

As it's very OT, perhaps a new thread here or in the general Community Room about different store set-ups/policies/staff interactions/behaviors that make you feel welcome or unwelcome to browse & read in store, either with NOOK or without?

Scribe
frantastk
Posts: 743
Registered: ‎06-29-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook 2.0, no web browser, no sale.


bklvr896 wrote:

sirwillard wrote:

gstone wrote:

This is either a non starter or one of the biggest screw ups ever. The implication is that you cannot use the device on your home wi-fi network unless you convert it to unsecured.

 

To my knowlege a conventional browser is not required to make a secure wi-fi connection. I'm using WPA2 at my house and do not remember ever opening my Nook's browser.

 

 



Gotta love the vocal minority.

 

Let me start with this one, because this one is just ignorance of how WiFi works. You'll have no problems using the NOOK 2 on your home secured network. No browser is required for connecting to any WiFi network. What people are talking about are WiFi networks, such as you typically find in hotel rooms and airports, that once connected require you to display a web page to accept the terms of the service before the network (intranet) you're connected to will let you out to the Internet.

 

Really, outside of hotel rooms and airports, most open WiFi hotspots don't use these intermediate browser pages anymore, at least in my experience. So the need for 3G is really limited. When I bought my NOOK 1 there was no WiFi only model, or I would have gone that route to save money. I can't imagine a scenario where not being able to use 3G would cause me any kind of irritation, much less actual problems. The only thing I can imagine that would change that is if I were a frequent travel that relied on periodicals read on the NOOK... but do you know how small that customer base is? For the rest of us, we'll purchase a couple of books before heading into "WiFi free" zones and never have a problem.

 

Further, an eReader without 3G isn't a "useless brick" even for those that (think they) absolutely must have connectivity everywhere. There are solutions available, such as sideloading from a PC or tethering.

 

If none of this is to your liking that's fine. Don't buy the new NOOK. But outrage and failing to understand that you're just in the minority and the device isn't for you is silly.


SirWillard, I had to give you a Laurel on this one.  And you are right, for the most part, outside of hotels and airports, most of the free hot spots have gotten rid of the TOS page, at least as far as I aware, there may be occasional others, but I think, although not totally sure, that McD's, Starbucks, etc, it is simply connecting.  Maybe the next time I'm in Starbucks I'll give it a try, but for those who are worried about connecting to home networks and B&N's network, I hope you read SirWillards post, it explained it very well.


None of the open public wifi hotspots around here (and there are tons) require any sort of sign on. Starbucks, McD's, public library, etc, they all just act  like if you had your own personal wifi unsecure. The last time we went of vacation, the hotel's wifi was completely unsecure also, no signin required. We were surprised. My son had his ipod and just announced,"Hey, mom, I'm on the wifi." I've actually never run in to any public wifi that required you to open the web browser. The ymca requires a password, but it isn't a public hotspot. You have to be a member and it's a secured wpa2 network, so you use the wifi setting not a browser to sign in, just like your home wifi. Oh, and this is in cities and out in the country. I live in PA, but outside of Philly and we spend a lot of time out in Amish country.

Inspired Wordsmith
sirwillard
Posts: 496
Registered: ‎06-10-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook 2.0, no web browser, no sale.


Anthony1970 wrote:

ellsbells930 wrote:

 Because you might not be home when a free book comes along - and they don't stay free forever.

 


They stay free for one week.



No, there is no set time for the Free Friday books. Some will stay free for months, and while I don't recall it ever happening it is possible for one to be free for only a few days. The only gaurantee you have is that it will be free on that Friday.

 

That said, I find this a very boring argument. It's not the end of the world if you miss a freebie, and lord knows there's plenty of freebies available all of the time.

Check out my books on Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/profile/wekempf
Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
Posts: 758
Registered: ‎01-04-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Nook 2.0, no web browser, no sale.

I have a question that is kind of off topic, but this thread has strayed already anyway so what the heck.

 

Do any of you live in a town that has a community wide free wi fi?  I do not BUT the town right next to mine (like 5-6 miles away) does.  basically as you drive into the area the whole town is a free wi fi zone.  I have no idea how they do it, transmitters al over the place I guess.  still pretty cool feature.  No more finding a mcdonalds etc and if you actually lived there you could get free wi fi all the time. 

 

Now I have no idea speed wise if it is faster than if you lived there and ran your own wireless wi fi off your cable, if it is not secure enough to do online banking at home etc.  if I lived there I would know all that.  but that is not the point of this, it is just to note at least one town by me is completely wireless.

 

and to bring it back to the topic at hand, it is also a place my son's nintendo DS can connect WITHOUT a browser.  he just connects and he is good to go.

 

Scribe
frantastk
Posts: 743
Registered: ‎06-29-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook 2.0, no web browser, no sale.

There were murmurings about doing that here, but I'm not sure where it stands now. I know that as of now, it hasn't happened. It also probably wouldn't effect me at my house since we are about 30 seconds on the wrong side of the border of town, technically in the next township (they all seem to run together here). Frankly, as it is, it's hard not to run into public wifi just driving around town here, with all the cafes and other places. We are a college town, so that might make a difference.

 

I remember the news a couple years ago talking about Philly considering city-wide wifi, but I think it was out of budget. They're haviong enough budget problems without the city paying for wifi.

AlanNJ
Posts: 3,722
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,528
Solutions: 0
Registered: ‎03-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook 2.0, no web browser, no sale.


ellsbells930 wrote:

Anthony1970 wrote:


 

Why dont ereaderphiles just download their books before they leave home?


 

Because you might not be home when a free book comes along - and they don't stay free forever.

 


Personally I can order the book on my phone or another browser.  It will then show up on my Nook when I'm ready to read it.

►Without order there is chaos◄
AlanNJ
Posts: 3,722
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,528
Solutions: 0
Registered: ‎03-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook 2.0, no web browser, no sale.


Anthony1970 wrote:

ellsbells930 wrote:

Anthony1970 wrote:


 

Why dont ereaderphiles just download their books before they leave home?


 

Because you might not be home when a free book comes along - and they don't stay free forever.

 


They stay free for one week. I guess if the free books mean that much to you and you are not home for weeks at a time it can be a problem.(though I dont see how missing a free book here or there is going to make or break you) Again a laptop or tablet computer can achieve this for you or even your smartphone. An ereader is not a computer. It should not be expected to do what a computer does.

 

I guess if this is such big deal for you guys though just dont buy dedicated ereaders.


They don't always stay free for a week.  Sometimes it's less.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Frequent Contributor
rassy
Posts: 34
Registered: ‎12-22-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook 2.0, no web browser, no sale.

Sirwillard, thanks for the post!  That makes sense to me.  I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to browse for books at home.  On my way to reserve a new nook and to sell my NC.  Just need a basic ereader.  Just want to read, not to be distracted!  :smileyhappy: