Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

Re: Nook 2.0, no web browser, no sale.

ellsbells930 wrote:

OPDwife wrote:

The new nook is called the simple touch reader for a reason....they are marketing is purely and simply as an ereader.  It doesn't need a web browser or anything else.... 

Actually, it does.  It needs something to be able to connect to secure wi-fi connections in order to PURCHASE BOOKS.   It isn't about checking your facebook account or the weather.  It is about the ability to purchase books via wi-fi.  If you can't sign on to a secure connections, you can't purchase books in that area.

My current NOOK WiFi did not use the browser to first connect to my home (secure) WiFi. It did that on the Settings page. That is where I put in the key#.

LisaB 

Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

Haleakala_LKB wrote:

To me, it's kind of like when my daughter was sure she needed the 3G (so that's what we got her for Christmas). She was worried about having a book emergency somewhere with no WiFi, so wanted 3G. Me, I figure before I go on vacation or anywhere I'll have plenty of books loaded already.

In the middle of a 12 hour car ride just this past weekend I had the library book I was reading expire (cr*p!). So I just started reading another book I had on my NOOK.

LisaB

"book emergency".  Love it!  I actually think it's absurd but it did make me laugh... There was only one time that I ordered an unplanned book and those were special circumstances.  I had downloaded a free PDF version of a book from an author's site and the formatting was so bad on my Nook that I felt obligated to purchase the book so I could read it comfortably.  That happened while I was sitting in a hospital room waiting for my wife to recover from pain meds.  Other than that I always have plenty of books to choose from on my Nook.

I tend to think of it as having something to do with the over 20 year difference between my daughter and myself. Sort of that instant gratification thing the young often have. 

Before anyone blasts me, yes, I know, not ALL young people are like this, and plenty of oldster also have it. Just sayin', in general....

LisaB

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:

sirwillard wrote:

gstone wrote:

This is either a non starter or one of the biggest screw ups ever. The implication is that you cannot use the device on your home wi-fi network unless you convert it to unsecured.

To my knowlege a conventional browser is not required to make a secure wi-fi connection. I'm using WPA2 at my house and do not remember ever opening my Nook's browser.

Gotta love the vocal minority.

Let me start with this one, because this one is just ignorance of how WiFi works. You'll have no problems using the NOOK 2 on your home secured network. No browser is required for connecting to any WiFi network. What people are talking about are WiFi networks, such as you typically find in hotel rooms and airports, that once connected require you to display a web page to accept the terms of the service before the network (intranet) you're connected to will let you out to the Internet.

Really, outside of hotel rooms and airports, most open WiFi hotspots don't use these intermediate browser pages anymore, at least in my experience. So the need for 3G is really limited. When I bought my NOOK 1 there was no WiFi only model, or I would have gone that route to save money. I can't imagine a scenario where not being able to use 3G would cause me any kind of irritation, much less actual problems. The only thing I can imagine that would change that is if I were a frequent travel that relied on periodicals read on the NOOK... but do you know how small that customer base is? For the rest of us, we'll purchase a couple of books before heading into "WiFi free" zones and never have a problem.

Further, an eReader without 3G isn't a "useless brick" even for those that (think they) absolutely must have connectivity everywhere. There are solutions available, such as sideloading from a PC or tethering.

If none of this is to your liking that's fine. Don't buy the new NOOK. But outrage and failing to understand that you're just in the minority and the device isn't for you is silly.

SirWillard, I had to give you a Laurel on this one.  And you are right, for the most part, outside of hotels and airports, most of the free hot spots have gotten rid of the TOS page, at least as far as I aware, there may be occasional others, but I think, although not totally sure, that McD's, Starbucks, etc, it is simply connecting.  Maybe the next time I'm in Starbucks I'll give it a try, but for those who are worried about connecting to home networks and B&N's network, I hope you read SirWillards post, it explained it very well.

Tell that to my 3g/WiFi NOOK that pulls up a TOS web page in McDonalds when I use WiFi there.

It may be the case where you are and where SirWillard is, but it is certainly not the case everywhere.  I am hoping that with this NOOK using Eclair that it won't be an issue like it was on my first NOOK, but I understand why some people are concerned.

Nallia
0 Kudos

Anthony1970 wrote:

ellsbells930 wrote:

Anthony1970 wrote:

Why dont ereaderphiles just download their books before they leave home?

Because you might not be home when a free book comes along - and they don't stay free forever.

They stay free for one week. I guess if the free books mean that much to you and you are not home for weeks at a time it can be a problem.(though I dont see how missing a free book here or there is going to make or break you) Again a laptop or tablet computer can achieve this for you or even your smartphone. An ereader is not a computer. It should not be expected to do what a computer does.

I guess if this is such big deal for you guys though just dont buy dedicated ereaders.

Not all of them  Some stay free for less than 24 hours.

Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

Personally I can order the book on my phone or another browser.  It will then show up on my Nook when I'm ready to read it.

I did that last weekend with the Free Friday book, since some free books are free such a short time these days. 

LisaB

Nallia
0 Kudos

Haleakala_LKB wrote:

AlanNJ wrote:

Personally I can order the book on my phone or another browser.  It will then show up on my Nook when I'm ready to read it.

I did that last weekend with the Free Friday book, since some free books are free such a short time these days. 

LisaB

I've done it too, mostly because I prefer to shop from the actual web site.  I rarely have an occasion when I need to buy a book and don't haver a WiFi connection, but there have been a few occasions when I didn't think about it and then realized that I was about to finish my current book in the doctor's office and had no way to buy the next in the series.  It wasn't the end of the world, but I will admit that it was a bit vexing because I was really into that particular story.  :smileyvery-happy:

I don't see this issue being a prooblem for me, but I know that not everyone has the connectivity that I have and I can understand someone else's concern even if it isnt my problem.

Contributor
Kujako

Haleakala_LKB wrote:

My current NOOK WiFi did not use the browser to first connect to my home (secure) WiFi. It did that on the Settings page. That is where I put in the key#.

LisaB 

This seems to have gotten way off point. The issue is NOT secure WiFi but hot-spots that require a web page to accept terms of service or to sign in (with a hotel room number etc). This is VERY common in just about any place I would want to use a Nook other then when at home. Without a browser, there is simply no way to access WiFi at airports, hotels, and many other locals. This is less of an issue when there are alternative means to login, such as 3G. But a WiFi only device needs to have a browser to be useful. Again, this is not about being able to check your gmail account or log-into face book. Its about being able to click a button saying you agree to the Marriott terms of service.

Frequent Contributor
ellsbells930
0 Kudos

Anthony1970 wrote:

They stay free for one week. I

Not always.  Some books are only free for a day or even a couple of hours.

Frequent Contributor
ellsbells930
0 Kudos

There are a lot along train stations.   The Comcast website has a map.  The majority are in cities -but are rapidly radiating out from the cities into the suburbs.  My place of employment recently moved to a new building, but in our old building I could access a Comcast hotspot from the south end of the building.  It was great to be able to hunt down free books & download them instantly.

Frequent Contributor
ellsbells930
0 Kudos

For all of those who say "load up before leaving home"... I had a situation back in December, shortly after the 1.5 upgrade - as we were packing up to go away for a long weekend, my nook decided to reset itself back to factory settings.  I had to re-register & download all my books once we got to the hotel.  If couldn't have agreed to the terms of service on the hotel's wi-fi, I would have been nookless the whole weekend - pretty much defeating one of the main purposes of having a nook.

Nallia
0 Kudos

All the NOOK needs is a little popup window--like the one that comes up when a security key has to be entered--that will allow users to accept terms & conditions, put in room numbers, etc.

Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

Kujako wrote:

Haleakala_LKB wrote:

LisaB 

This seems to have gotten way off point. The issue is NOT secure WiFi but hot-spots that require a web page to accept terms of service or to sign in (with a hotel room number etc). This is VERY common in just about any place I would want to use a Nook other then when at home. Without a browser, there is simply no way to access WiFi at airports, hotels, and many other locals. This is less of an issue when there are alternative means to login, such as 3G. But a WiFi only device needs to have a browser to be useful. Again, this is not about being able to check your gmail account or log-into face book. Its about being able to click a button saying you agree to the Marriott terms of service.

You would be correct, except that several people have expanded it to be in a panic that they will not be able to connect to their home encrypted WiFi. 

LisaB

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

I guess sirwillard didn't read my post or missed the sarcasm. However, it is good to know that I am  an example of ignorance and "the vocal minority". At least I shine at something.

On the other hand, I have to wonder if the Rapture didn't occur on the 21'st and I have been left behind with the rest of the ignorant and "the vocal minority"?

Inspired Wordsmith
sirwillard
0 Kudos

@gstone: I did read your post. The first part of my reply was specifically addressing your post, and is why your post was quoted. To whit, you'll have no issue with your secure WiFi at home even though the NOOK 2 doesn't have a browser. This was ignorance on your part. That's not an attack. Ignorance is not the same as stupidity. It was something you didn't know, i.e. you were ignorant of the facts.

I'll grant that by addressing several things in one response, quoting you, and starting with the "vocal minority" comment I muddled the message. I appologize.

Check out my books on Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/profile/wekempf
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

ellsbells930 wrote:

There are a lot along train stations.   The Comcast website has a map.  The majority are in cities -but are rapidly radiating out from the cities into the suburbs.  My place of employment recently moved to a new building, but in our old building I could access a Comcast hotspot from the south end of the building.  It was great to be able to hunt down free books & download them instantly.

But, if you have to log into your  Comcast account, then they're not free, correct?

Wordsmith
Serendip
0 Kudos

ellsbells930 wrote:

In the Philadelphia/NJ/tri-state area. When I recently (end of April, beginning of May) asked when this would be expanded, I was told it "wasn't likely" to be outside of that area.

Contributor
Kujako
0 Kudos

Nallia wrote:

All the NOOK needs is a little popup window--like the one that comes up when a security key has to be entered--that will allow users to accept terms & conditions, put in room numbers, etc.

Yes. That "pop-up window" is called a web browser and is used to display the custom web page for the hotel, airport, etc that is used to authenticate to the WiFi access point.

These pages are custom for each provider and can not be handled by a generic pop-up message. They must communicate via HTTP and send back the proper response to a HTML form or dialog.

Nallia

Kujako wrote:

Nallia wrote:

Yes. That "pop-up window" is called a web browser and is used to display the custom web page for the hotel, airport, etc that is used to authenticate to the WiFi access point.

These pages are custom for each provider and can not be handled by a generic pop-up message. They must communicate via HTTP and send back the proper response to a HTML form or dialog.

Apparently the Kobo uses a popup window and not a full web browser o connect to hotspots.

Contributor
Kujako
0 Kudos

Nallia wrote:

Apparently the Kobo uses a popup window and not a full web browser o connect to hotspots.

I could see that working. However the frustration is that the Nook 2nd had a full browser as part of the Android OS that B&N took the time to remove.

Nallia
0 Kudos

Kujako wrote:

Nallia wrote:

I could see that working. However the frustration is that the Nook 2nd had a full browser as part of the Android OS that B&N took the time to remove.

Yes, I know.  But I also understand why they removed it for this particular device.

I think that the full Android browser just to be used to only connect to hotspots, on a device that is made to not have the bells and whistles of the previous model, would be overkill.