0 Kudos

Re: Nook 2.0, no web browser, no sale.

JoeNook wrote:

ellsbells930 wrote:

bklvr896 wrote:

ellsbells930 wrote:

bklvr896 wrote:

ellsbells930 wrote:

There are a lot along train stations.   The Comcast website has a map.  The majority are in cities -but are rapidly radiating out from the cities into the suburbs.  My place of employment recently moved to a new building, but in our old building I could access a Comcast hotspot from the south end of the building.  It was great to be able to hunt down free books & download them instantly.

But, if you have to log into your  Comcast account, then they're not free, correct?

It is for Comcast users. - And that isn't the point. The point is .. that in order to use it to buy books on the Nook you have to log into  to get the wifi.  If the new nook doesn't have browser capabilities, then that is one less way to get books.  That is a major strike against the new nook.

But you should still be able to locate other, free, WiFi spots to purchase books, McDonalds, Starbucks, etc.  You are still able to access your home WiFi also.

This is a basic, no frills eReader.  The target market probably is never going to want to try to connect to a site that requires a login page, they probably wouldn't know how to begin with, even on a computer.  It's not a strike against the device, the device wasn't intended to address this particular need.

However, because of this I do think B&N is making a mistake to not continue production of at least one of the Nook 1G, either the WiFi only or the WiFi/3G.   The only choices shouldn't be the simple eReader or the Nook Color.

But if I'm in a hotel, why should I have to go SEARCH for free wi-fi elsewhere?  What if nothing is open at the time I want to purchase a book?

then just side load it.

With what if I don't have a laptop with me?

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

ellsbells930 wrote:

JoeNook wrote:

ellsbells930 wrote:

bklvr896 wrote:

ellsbells930 wrote:

bklvr896 wrote:

ellsbells930 wrote:

There are a lot along train stations.   The Comcast website has a map.  The majority are in cities -but are rapidly radiating out from the cities into the suburbs.  My place of employment recently moved to a new building, but in our old building I could access a Comcast hotspot from the south end of the building.  It was great to be able to hunt down free books & download them instantly.

But, if you have to log into your  Comcast account, then they're not free, correct?

It is for Comcast users. - And that isn't the point. The point is .. that in order to use it to buy books on the Nook you have to log into  to get the wifi.  If the new nook doesn't have browser capabilities, then that is one less way to get books.  That is a major strike against the new nook.

But you should still be able to locate other, free, WiFi spots to purchase books, McDonalds, Starbucks, etc.  You are still able to access your home WiFi also.

This is a basic, no frills eReader.  The target market probably is never going to want to try to connect to a site that requires a login page, they probably wouldn't know how to begin with, even on a computer.  It's not a strike against the device, the device wasn't intended to address this particular need.

However, because of this I do think B&N is making a mistake to not continue production of at least one of the Nook 1G, either the WiFi only or the WiFi/3G.   The only choices shouldn't be the simple eReader or the Nook Color.

But if I'm in a hotel, why should I have to go SEARCH for free wi-fi elsewhere?  What if nothing is open at the time I want to purchase a book?

then just side load it.

With what if I don't have a laptop with me?

Irrelevant now that is has been clarified you WILL be able to use hotel wi fi (new clarity over the last few hours)

Frequent Contributor
ellsbells930
0 Kudos

JoeNook wrote:

ellsbells930 wrote:

bklvr896 wrote:

ellsbells930 wrote:

bklvr896 wrote:

ellsbells930 wrote:

If you are in a hotel and it's late and there is a book you want and you can't connect via wifi you can also just download the book onto your  PC or Mac  laptop and just sideload it. 

You are assuming that everyone has a laptop with them.

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

ellsbells930 wrote:

JoeNook wrote:

ellsbells930 wrote:

bklvr896 wrote:

ellsbells930 wrote:

bklvr896 wrote:

ellsbells930 wrote:

If you are in a hotel and it's late and there is a book you want and you can't connect via wifi you can also just download the book onto your  PC or Mac  laptop and just sideload it. 

You are assuming that everyone has a laptop with them.

again, who cares anymore now that it has been clarified you CAN access hotel wi fi. not an issue anymore.  this whole thread in essense has been SOLVED!!!  that is a good thing BTW...

Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

Once again, personally I rarely see the need for a "book emergency".  Planning in advance will resolve 95% of these issues.

:smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:

LisaB

Inspired Correspondent
TrevorS
0 Kudos

Kujako wrote:

Sorry, but a WiFi only device without a web browser is next to useless.

It's called a "book".

Distinguished Correspondent
Arestelle
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

Well this should kill about 3 or 4 ridiculously long threads... :smileytongue:

"Should" being the operative word here. :smileytongue:

"One day a tortoise will learn how to fly."--Pratchett, Small Gods

Reading: The Demon-Haunted World
Last book read: Leon Martin and the Fantasy Girl (as a test reader--not yet published)
Frequent Contributor
McCreamy
0 Kudos

Anthony1970 wrote:

Kujako wrote:

And to reiterate, it is not about browsing web pages (not that being able to check email, forums etc over the web isn't nice). It is about being able to access the internet at all to purchase/download books and other literature.

Do people really read that much that they have to download their books/newpapers etc. on the go. (maybe newpapers)

Why dont ereaderphiles just download their books before they leave home? In fact how many books does one need when they go on a trip?? No offense but i always find this a rather silly gripe. Its so easy and quick to just connect the ereader to your computer and downlad what you want before you leave home. Is having a particular novel that important that it has to be obtained over the net when you are not home????

Now I can understand if you want to read the daily paper or download important documents. But thats what a tablet or laptop is for. Personally I think e-ink ereaders should just be for novels and thats its. They just cannot do web browsing, color etc. efficiently. They mimic b/w paper pages perfectly and that was the reason they were created for in the first place.

Some of us do not have internet connections at home, and need to buy books "on the go" while at hotspots like mcdonalds, etc. Also, the closest B&N to me is an hour and a half away. I have no problem with not being able to check facebook, emails etc. I just want to make sure that I can purchase more books! I use the public library when I want to use the internet, and I doubt that I would be able to side load books there. So, it's not that silly of a gripe.

Distinguished Wordsmith
sygram
0 Kudos

McCreamy wrote:

Anthony1970 wrote:

Kujako wrote:

And to reiterate, it is not about browsing web pages (not that being able to check email, forums etc over the web isn't nice). It is about being able to access the internet at all to purchase/download books and other literature.

Do people really read that much that they have to download their books/newpapers etc. on the go. (maybe newpapers)

Why dont ereaderphiles just download their books before they leave home? In fact how many books does one need when they go on a trip?? No offense but i always find this a rather silly gripe. Its so easy and quick to just connect the ereader to your computer and downlad what you want before you leave home. Is having a particular novel that important that it has to be obtained over the net when you are not home????

Now I can understand if you want to read the daily paper or download important documents. But thats what a tablet or laptop is for. Personally I think e-ink ereaders should just be for novels and thats its. They just cannot do web browsing, color etc. efficiently. They mimic b/w paper pages perfectly and that was the reason they were created for in the first place.

Some of us do not have internet connections at home, and need to buy books "on the go" while at hotspots like mcdonalds, etc. Also, the closest B&N to me is an hour and a half away. I have no problem with not being able to check facebook, emails etc. I just want to make sure that I can purchase more books! I use the public library when I want to use the internet, and I doubt that I would be able to side load books there. So, it's not that silly of a gripe.

Hopefully you read the rest of this thread and saw the resolving post.

Distinguished Wordsmith
sygram
0 Kudos

RSC_Nook wrote:

Ya_Ya wrote:

AlanNJ wrote:

Once again, personally I rarely see the need for a "book emergency".  Planning in advance will resolve 95% of these issues.

Never been sent on a no-notice business trip?

I heard one of the Navy Seals took a pass on joining the recon team that took out bin laden because he wasn't sure if his nook would connect in the compound.  He just said no thanks and stayed on the ship...

I was laughing so hard I was crying, thanks for the laugh. :smileyvery-happy:

Inspired Correspondent
Angulimala
0 Kudos

Something to think about...when the 3G N1E came out, at $269, it had no games or web browser. The software update that contained it (1.3) came out in April 2010, I believe, almost 7 months after it was initially release (and prior to the release of the WiFi only version).

Sony's PRS-950 is the only mainstream Pearl E-ink screen I can think of that has a web browser and from my experience (and I've heard the same from others) the browser is incredible simple (in terms of functions, not necessarily ease of use).

Perhaps B&N will make one available in a future software update, as they did with N1E, perhaps not. Maybe they'll offer optional software updates in addition to standard ones. If there's enough people making it known online and in-stores, they very well may consider it. But the combination of e-ink and touchscreen requires a different kind of browser setup than what we have on the N1E.

Personally, I'm more dismayed that it doesn't play music; I thoroughly enjoy putting in headphones and listening to music while I read. But as someone said earlier in this thread....if one wants a web browser, games, a music player, etc, then they want something that's more than an e-reader, and Nook Color is the better option for that (as well as the N1E as long as its available).

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0

The original Nook was $259 (unless you paid a premium).  Personally I hope they don't add ANY software updates to the new one unless it makes the reading experience better.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Correspondent
Sir_Vikin
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

Personally I hope they don't add ANY software updates to the new one unless it makes the reading experience better.

I could not agree with you more..  It is really interesting how some review sites are calling the N2E the "kindle killer", goes to show that sometimes simpler is better.

“We all boil at different degrees” - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

It seems to me that what BN has done is put out a single use device, it's a eReader, nothing more.  Folks who want more than a single use device are not happy because the web browser is gone, the music is gone etc, but I honestly believe this was all intentional on B&N part.  I believe there is a market for a device that does one thing only and does it well.  

I put one on hold for my mother, because that's what she needs, a device that only does one thing.  She'd love a phone that was just a phone, one reason why she hasn't upgraded her phone in a while, she doesn't want all the bells and whistles.

It's also why I think B&N is making a mistake totally discontinuing the N1E.  There's a market for people who want an eInk reader that will also play music and perhaps a few games.  They are going to push those people to another device.

If I was in the market for an eReader today, I'd seriously consider the N2E, because I don't do anything on my Nook except read.  I used to play Soduku but not a lot.  The only thing I would miss from my N1E is the 3G.

Contributor
garnet_rose
0 Kudos

I agree. With neither 3G, nor the ability to sign into a wifi connection, what's the point?

I bought the more expensive 3G Nook because it could connect anywhere my cell can connect.

I'm often on the road or in an airport or hotel when I want to connect to B&N, and the nature of my work means that I'm often in small towns (or no town at all) where there are no ATT hotspots and any wifi requires a password. The travelling is the reason why I got an e-reader in the first place, and I often download books when I'm away from home. 

I travel a lot because of my work, and have a very basic phone, so when I bring my Nook I can check my email without lugging my laptop with me and risking damaging it.  Yes, it's a bit clumsy to use the browser, but it works for what I use it for (surely they could have made it less clumsy and therefore more useful to all rather than take it away entirely.)

I'm also not seeing the ability to play mp3s on the new version.  Have they done away with that as well? Another reason why I chose this version was to get the ability to download and play audio books while I'm driving across country, or any other time.

Seems like they've gotten rid of the main things that made me choose Nook in the first place over the alternatives.  I do hope they continue to support the first version so we can keep our existing Nooks going as long as possible.  It'd be a real pain to have to switch to a new reader having spent all this money on Nookbooks, but I want my browser, 3G, and my audiobooks. 

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

garnet_rose wrote:

I agree. With neither 3G, nor the ability to sign into a wifi connection, what's the point?

I bought the more expensive 3G Nook because it could connect anywhere my cell can connect.

I'm often on the road or in an airport or hotel when I want to connect to B&N, and the nature of my work means that I'm often in small towns (or no town at all) where there are no ATT hotspots and any wifi requires a password. The travelling is the reason why I got an e-reader in the first place, and I often download books when I'm away from home. 

I travel a lot because of my work, and have a very basic phone, so when I bring my Nook I can check my email without lugging my laptop with me and risking damaging it.  Yes, it's a bit clumsy to use the browser, but it works for what I use it for (surely they could have made it less clumsy and therefore more useful to all rather than take it away entirely.)

I'm also not seeing the ability to play mp3s on the new version.  Have they done away with that as well? Another reason why I chose this version was to get the ability to download and play audio books while I'm driving across country, or any other time.

Seems like they've gotten rid of the main things that made me choose Nook in the first place over the alternatives.  I do hope they continue to support the first version so we can keep our existing Nooks going as long as possible.  It'd be a real pain to have to switch to a new reader having spent all this money on Nookbooks, but I want my browser, 3G, and my audiobooks. 

It was clarified yesterday that you can sign into a WiFi connection that requires accepting a TOS, such as a hotel or airport.

The N2E appears to be designed to do one thing and one thing only, be an eReader.  I suspect that it's exactly what they intended it to be.  If they wanted it to have an MP3 player and a web browser, they've have designed those in, since they have a eInk reader that does that now, they obviously know how to implement it.

Frequent Contributor
JaneRenee

I wish more people would read the thread. Maybe we need to make a separate sticky or thread saying "You can connect to a browswer to accept terms and conditions with NE2!" Haha.

Or maybe an admin will adjust the title of this thread to: "Nook 2.0, no web browser (except to accept terms and conditions), no sale"

:smileyvery-happy:

-Jane Renee
Contributor
garnet_rose
0 Kudos

When I first saw this thread yesterday afternoon/evening only one page was visible and it appeared that there were only about half a dozen comments total, now my post from that time is on page 7, so there are many, many replies that I could not see yesterday, including the one clarifying the wifi situation.  I suspect this is likely the case with many of the people who are being chastised for not reading earlier postings. 

If I knew how to edit my post, I would have done so after finding out that that particular objection was invalid but yesterday was my first attempt at posting and I haven't yet figured out all of the tricks. 

New User
Mainberg
0 Kudos

Kujako, I can't find the document on B&N's web site that you have quoted.  Where is it?  I can only find similar instructions for prior models, not for the new one.