Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

Re: Nook 2.0, no web browser, no sale.

Mainberg wrote:

Kujako, I can't find the document on B&N's web site that you have quoted.  Where is it?  I can only find similar instructions for prior models, not for the new one.

You WON'T Find it.  Because the initial post was 100% incorrect.  Wrong.  Mistaken.  Etc. etc.

It has since be verified and discussed multiple times the new nook WILL be able to connect at locations that require a sign in screen.  Including comments from B&N Mod's on here.

ignore the initial post, it was wrong.  have no fears on THIS topic when it comes to the new nook.

New User
Mainberg
0 Kudos

Kujaco, you are flat out wrong.  In other threads there are authoritative posts that the newest Nook will allow you to sign on in hotel rooms, etc.  You are initiating or spreading a false (and VEY malicious) rumor!  Do you work for someone selling a competing product?  It would seem so.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

Spreading false and malicious rumors??? What on earth are you talking about? This thread was started BEFORE there was any confirmation that these types of wifi connections would work.
Reader 2
Rereader
0 Kudos

Clearly I am in the minority here, but I use the Nook's browser all the time for the intended purpose of the Nook, reading. 

Search around here and Mobileread and you will find tips on how to make your Nook Classic a decent web ereader.  Specifically:

1.  Learn how to use the clunky touchscreen interface to save favorites, start your surfing from your favorites page.

2.  Use Mobile web sites, they work nicely on the Classic.  NYT for example.

3.  There is a zoom feature, you can make small font pages readable.

4.  There is an option to hide the little box that shows where you are on the page.  Find it and enable it.

5.  It is summer.  You can read the web in full sunlight.

6.  There are a couple of web sites specifically designed to read RSS feeds on the Nook.  http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83238.  Google Reader works well through them.

I agree with the OP.  Nook Touch is based on Android.  Android has a built in browser.  Nook Color has a built in browser.   B&N had to take affirmative steps to remove it from this one.  We can only speculate on cause but I am guessing B&N wants to force you to buy and read periodicals through their store instead of free off the web.  Boo.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I think the point of the N2E is to simplify the experience that ereaders (the people) buy ereaders (the device) for.  A  large segment of people were turned away by both nook and kindle due to the idea that it needed to be what it didn't really have to be.

Some people may find using a web browser on eink to be ok, but for most it is a painful process.  It was therefore extraneous.  I, for one, assumed since they had social networking capabilities that incorporate some sort of web access, that they would also include some way to agree to T&Cs.  It only makes sense.  For most, any other use of a web browser is not important. 

You won't please everybody, but B&N is in a very unique position and have chosen to be one of the first, if not the first to recognize and utilize this.  B&N has some disparate core users.  Some want to read DTBs solely or DT anything and won't go digital until they are forced to.  Some want to go digital, at least partly, but want a streamlined, no froo froo experience-they want to read and some other things are just not important.  They also want a fairly intuitive experience.  Others want that and want more, color, web, video, music.  And still others are less reading focused.  They will and do read, but other things are more important. In a very real way, what B&N has done is tried to please almost everybody.  It just means that one device may not be for you, but another one may well suit you.  Or, as has happened to others including myself, you may develop a split personality and want the best of all worlds so you may own more than one nook device.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Rereader wrote:

I agree with the OP.  Nook Touch is based on Android.  Android has a built in browser.  Nook Color has a built in browser.   B&N had to take affirmative steps to remove it from this one.  We can only speculate on cause but I am guessing B&N wants to force you to buy and read periodicals through their store instead of free off the web.  Boo.

Since this is an Android device, odds are good someone will root it and post instructions online.  Then anyone who wants to will be able to root their N2E and either access or install a browser.

If you really want an N2E and really want a browser, just wait for the rooting and order one once you know it can be done, and how to do it.

Inspired Correspondent
Htom_Serveaux
0 Kudos

Kujako wrote:

Sorry, but a WiFi only device without a web browser is next to useless. From B&N own "Getting to know your Nook" page they admit that you really wont be able to connect any place that you would reasonably need to such as a hotel or airport.

"If you try to connect to a free public network, please know that nook will not connect to any Wi-Fi hotspot that requires you to enter any information such as an account number or a room number when at a hotel, to enter any payment information, to accept any terms or conditions, or to view or accept an information page that requires a web browser."

Well, I've not been in a position to test this, but the N2E User's Guide lists under "Proxied Wi-Fi Networks"  (page 60):

"Proxied Wi-Fi networks typically present a Web page with terms and conditions, a login screen, and possibly a payment screen, before allowing you to connect to the network.  You'll encounter this type of network in many hotels, restaurants, and airports.  Your NOOK detects these networks.  When you select a proxied network as a connection, your NOOK automatically opens a dialog box in whihch you can read through terms and conditions, accept terms, perhaps enter credit card  information and login credentials, and connect."

I also apologize if this is already in here, but I couldn't really get through eight pages of whether an eInk browser is usable or not to see.  :smileytongue:

New User
TristanDoesIt

The Recent Firmware was SUPPOSED to get rid of this browsing method.
There is a newer way to find it, that still works!
Heres the link to a how to video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bdZLZ_ASjg&feature=channel_video_title