New User
OracleEcco
0 Kudos

Nook 8g burned hand

This morning at about 10:40ish my S.O. (significant other) was loading some files on the Nook 8g.

It has a 32gb PNY card in it for extra storage.

An error mseeage appeared on the comp and the loading bar went red.

She tried to re-start the download and nothing happened. Then she unpluged the Nook USB from the comp and then from the Nook 8g itself. When she did, the metal on the USB connecting to the Nook cauterized her finger and thumb.

The USB plug attatched to the Nook was SO hot it melted the plastic housing around the USB port on the Nook itself.

The USB plug that connects to the Nook still has bits of her flesh on it.

We contacted support and they have asked us to send it in. I contacted Best Buy and they will just replace the Nook itself, not any of the other things we bought with it: the PNY 32gb card, the Invisible shiled we got with it, or anything else. Just the Nook 8g.

What if it burns a child next?

(forgive spelling errors)

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

Re: Nook 8g burned hand

B&N NOOK Color: The Ford Pinto of readers!

I'd deal with B&N directly. Best Buy is only motivated to get rid of you as cheaply as possible. B&N should be motivated to figure out what went wrong and make it all up to you. I'd take some pictures and notes as well for documentation purposes.

BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 519
Solutions: 41
0 Kudos

This message has been moved to a more appropriate location. This helps to keep our boards organized.

Distinguished Scribe
gb18
0 Kudos

New User
OracleEcco
0 Kudos

@gb18:

I've seen that batteries and chargers have replacement issues, but it's now escalated to burning people.

The two topics may indeed be related, but this is the first the device has harmed someone, I'm finding.

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

OracleEcco wrote:

[...] The two topics may indeed be related, but this is the first the device has harmed someone, I'm finding.

There have been reports in these groups of melted chargers and cables. Since the NOOK Tablet and Color share the same charger and cable, you may need to skim both groups to find all the relevant reports.  That AC adapter is pushing a lot more current than a typical 5v phone charger. Given how flimsy the proprietary cable is, I can certainly see this happening.

Wordsmith
BruceMcF

OracleEcco wrote:

@gb18:

I've seen that batteries and chargers have replacement issues, but it's now escalated to burning people.

Several of the reports when the plug has shorted have indicated that the device is very warm and some that plastic has melted ~ if its hot enough to melt the plastic, the metal end of the plug would have been hot enough to burn someone, had they had the misfortune to touch the plug.

Frequent Contributor
JEB63
0 Kudos

For anyone having problems with the Nook Color AC Adapter or cord, especially those where things are melting, burning, electrical arcs are seen (fast blue flame), or even slight burns to fingers, please go to

www.saferproducts.gov/

and file an incident report.  I had a Nook Color AC Adapter get extremely hot to the point my fingers were sore after touching it.  After unplugging it and letting it cool, the adapter no longer functions.  This appears to be a pretty common problem.  Model number for the AC Adapter/charger is BNRP5-1900.