Inspired Correspondent
MusicmanGG

Nook Books BOGO

I just came back from my local B&N and there iz an in store deal where you buy one nook book and get one free - select nook books only.  They are going to have these deals every weekend - in store only 

Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Books BOGO

I saw that same deal and am headed to my B&N. The "fine print" simply says:  . . . choose which NOOK Book you would like to purchase and which NOOK book you would like to get FREE. It does not say the usual about getting "one of equal or lesser value" for free; as a matter of fact, the prices are not even shown on the print out of the list of 20 select titles (Prices are, however, shown on the online listing).  

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Bibliophile
5ivedom

Thanks for sharing MusicMan. Thanks for clarifying details bklvr.

I have to say, this is the FIRST example I've seen in a LONG time of B&N leveraging its strengths and actually doing somthing good in terms of Store+Device interactions.

Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I just returned from my B&N.  On my receipt, I was charged for the lower-priced title--the one I asked to purchase.  My receipt says nothing about the free book, however.  Edit--Sorry.  I just checked the receipt again.  It DOES list the free title with the higher price followed by "Item Cpn Free"!    No email confirmation yet on the purchase.

MusicMan and/or bklvr, have either of you gotten your email giving you access to the titles you purchased yet?  I thought it would be instantaneous, like buying on line. 

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

I haven't checked but the instructions are on my receipt. I just went to the redeem site and entered the code.
Distinguished Scribe
Schwa
0 Kudos

whiteginger wrote:

I just returned from my B&N.  On my receipt, I was charged for the lower-priced title--the one I asked to purchase.  My receipt says nothing about the free book, however.  Edit--Sorry.  I just checked the receipt again.  It DOES list the free title with the higher price followed by "Item Cpn Free"!    No email confirmation yet on the purchase.

MusicMan and/or bklvr, have either of you gotten your email giving you access to the titles you purchased yet?  I thought it would be instantaneous, like buying on line. 

The activation code(s) should be on the bottom of the receipt, with instruction on how to redeem them.  While you should also get an email with the same instructions, It's just a backup for the receipt instructions.  Hopefully the cashier typed your email correctly at the time of purchasing.

Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Oops.  I should have said that I have not received the email giving me the  access codes. My receipt does give me instructions and tells me to "Check Email" for the access codes.  How long did it take you to receive your access code email?

EDIT:  Just tried the 13-digit EAN(?) above the book titles on the receipt.  Both were invalid!  Still no email with access codes--although I wonder now if the codes will be the same as on the receipt.

Distinguished Scribe
Schwa
0 Kudos

I haven't bought from this sale this weekend, but I have bought ebooks in-store before.  I didn't check to see if the email was instantaneous, but it was there the next time I checked email at home.   It's possible store receip emails get sent out in batches by B&N and can take up to 24 hours, etc. 

Worst case scenario keep your receipt.  Like I said before, let's hope the cashier typed your email correctly.  A physical receipt, in any case, would help in the future retrieval of access codes lost in interwebs-land.

Inspired Correspondent
MusicmanGG
0 Kudos

The codes were printed at the bottom of the receipt, but the salesperson at the nook counter had me signzin there and redeemed them for me.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

White ginger, My access codes were at the bottom of the receipt. It had what looked like the ISBN number, then the title and then the 13 digit access code. It would seem odd that yours wouldn't have tat also, as I would assume tat all BN are using the same system.
Distinguished Correspondent
bestem
0 Kudos

Has anyone tried redeeming the two books on two different accounts?  I can imagine some weeks where I'd only be interested in one book, but my brother would be interested in another, and splitting the cost so we each get a book for like half price, could be nice, if it were doable.  I don't live anywhere near a physical store (2.5 hours each way by bus because I don't have a car) so I'd be sending him in to purchase books for me anyway.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

I doubt that will be able to be done. They input you're email to tie it to your account. But there's no reason that if your brother buys the books, he can email the other book to you and you can sideload it. You just need to input your brothers cc info to unlock the book.
Distinguished Correspondent
bestem
0 Kudos

That's what I was thinking.  It's just the bit about the redeem code that was making me wonder if it was doable, because if there's a redemption code than it might not be totally tied to the account.

And if I sent him to buy the books for me, because I'd be providing him with money, he'd have to use my email address.  Maybe it'd be wiser to send my sister, she's more trustworthy than he is  =)

Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger

Nook Books BOGO, Kudos to local B&N

It's been 15+ hours since I went to my local store for the BOGO sale.  The access codes are not printed on my receipt and I have received no email.  So . . . I called customer service this morning.  The phone rep was very polite, but could not help me.  He, after confirming that the books were not already in my library, said I needed to call the local store where I made the purchase and offered to give me the number to my local store if I did not have it readily available.

So . . . I called my local store.    I LOVE B&N!  No, I did not immediately get access codes--I don't have them yet, but I did get to speak with a live person, Chris (and a manager in the background) who seems to be doing everything humanly possibe to help me get this straightened out.  I wish my transaction had gone flawlessly-- it didn't, but I am VERY HAPPY with B&N's response to my problem.  I'm sure we'll get this solved soon.  I am hoping that next weekend's BOGO list will have two more books I want.  When I go in for that next purchase, I will thank Chris personally for his help this week.  

Correspondent
LadyTessie
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Books BOGO, Kudos to local B&N

Hey whiteginger! I'm sure you've gotten this from a few folks you've contacted - even someone else on this thread. Here's what my receipt indicated at the very bottom. This was shown separate for each book, of course.

EAN - a long code all numbers

Title of the book

Access: an alpha numeric code

I don't recall ever receiving an email but to be honest I downloaded the books off the receipt - as soon as I realized that the EAN was not the right number! LOL So an email may have come and I just deleted it.

Hope you get this cleared up real soon.

Terry - Richmond, VA

Contributor
juliekaye
0 Kudos

Unfortunately, sometimes the access codes do not get printed on the receipt and you are instructed to wait for the email.  It seems about 50% of the time when I do get them on the receipt vs when I don't.  Your email with the codes will eventually show up, mine always have, but unfortunately it does take at least 24 hours, sometimes longer.  I bought my books yesterday mid-afternoon and I'm still waiting on the email. 

Thankfully, they aren't books I was dying to read right away so I'm not too bothered by my wait, so that's the good thing.  :smileyhappy:

Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger

UPDATE:  I just got a call from my local B&N.  Apparently many stores have had problems with this promotion.  (I still this this is a good idea to draw NOOKBook readers back into the stores and applaud their efforts!)  Anyway, my local book seller has been in contact with customer service which is now saying that the access codes, for those of us who did not get them printed on the bottoms of our receipts, will not be sent to us until tomorrow sometime.  He was very apologetic, making me think that someone he contacted earlier had not taken the news well. 

Again, I wish this had gone flawlessly, but I can certainly wait another day (or two).  I am SO glad that B&N is beginning to offer promations on NOOKBooks! 

Inspired Correspondent
The_Imperfect
0 Kudos

Bestem, usually the book does not belong to any account until it is redeemed.  The email can be any email and does not have to belong to a B&N account (so you could, for instance, buy a gift ebook and not spoil the surprise).  Based on that, you should be able to apply one code to your account and one to your brother's.

And, if the promo has some special hidden condition, you can always do as bklvr896 suggested.

Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger

Bestem, according to the email I received, gifting a NOOKBook is possible.  Here's the text that came with the access code:

Simply click the button
below and follow the instructions to add: The House Girl to your NOOK Book
library. You can also forward this email to give this NOOK Book as a gift using
the one-time use access code below.

Your Access code
is: ????????????