New User
NightSurfer
0 Kudos

Nook Books

Is there anyway I can access my nook books after I delete them from my Nook? I cant find the books I bought :/

Frequent Contributor
gheid45

Re: Nook Books

Sorry, once you delete a book from your Nook it's gone unless you have them backed up somewhere else. You should always archive your books, do not delete them unless you sure you never want them again.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

What gheid45 wrote.

Delete = Deleted from Account forever. You have to rebuy them to read them again.

The right thing to do to move them only from device is

Nook Tablet+Color - Perss and hold icon and in menu that comes up choose 'Archive'.

Nook HD& HD+ - Press and hold icon and in menu that comes up choose 'Move to Cloud'.

You can also press and hold volume down button (or perhaps up) and icon to get larger menu with Archive.

New User
NightSurfer
0 Kudos

Thats just a pain in the butt, I dont want to have to repurchase them as I just bought them recently.

I'm starting to regret buying a Nook.
Distinguished Scribe
Schwa

NightSurfer wrote:
Thats just a pain in the butt, I dont want to have to repurchase them as I just bought them recently.

I'm starting to regret buying a Nook.

You wouldn't need to repurchase them if you hadn't deleted them.  In fact there is a warning dialog box before a deletion could be completed.  I'm sorry to sound snarky but you shouldn't regret buying the nook, you should regret not reading dialog boxes.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Good point Schwa.

From a usability perspective, it's a bad decision to have a Delete button there at all.

In another thread this was discussed - Most users assume 'Delete' means just remove from device.

And they don't understand Archive (a very technical term).

So perhaps have Delete listed as 'Delete this book Forever' and instead of ARchive have 'Remove from Device' or 'Move to Cloud'.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

I believe this is exactly why the original Nook did not have a delete option, you had to do it from the computer. But people complained it was stupid not to be able to delete from the device. There is a warning message after you select delete. I'm wondering if you read it.
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

5ivedom wrote:

So perhaps have Delete listed as 'Delete this book Forever' and instead of ARchive have 'Remove from Device' or 'Move to Cloud'.

Doesn't HD/+ have "Move to Cloud" instead of "Archive"?  I seem to remember a lot of folks complaining about that back when the devices came out.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Yes, HD+ has a Move to Cloud option.

I think it's easier to understand what it does. Of course, the problem is that it doesn't move the book icon out of the device. That is what users don't like.

Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin

If you  press the book icon and the Volume Up button at the same time, you get a menu that allows you to archive the book, even from the HD/HD+.  The annoying book/cloud icon disappears; book is archived but not deleted.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

If you've only used PC's or Macs, and read physical books, you shouldn't be expected to realize "delete" or even "delete permanently" means delete from your account rather than from your device. SInce there is no archive button that is easily found by a newbie to the device and the pesky covers remain on the device when moved to the cloud, it is very understandable that one might want that dang book off the device and make the mistake you did. That was when it finally disappeared, correct?

I have done it myself in the past forgetting that it meant delete from account forever, rather than delete from device. It does not SAY delete from account which it should do to make it clear what you are planning to do. After all, if I delete something from my PC but it is stored elsewhere as well, I don't lose every single copy I own, only that one I deleted. It's easy to assume it meant the same thing in this situataion. The wording is ambiguous and without a visable removal of the book when sending to the cloud, a very reasonable assumption to make that you needed to delete it to get it off your device.

Call CS, tell them how the mistake was made, why you did it and why you made the mistake assuming it would just remove it from the device (especially as far as you knew, it was the only option you had).

They may reinstate your ebooks. Maybe, but it's worth a try. They've reinstated one of mine in the past when I made the mistake, but that was only one book, so it's hard to say. Still, like I said, worth a try.

Frequent Contributor
geertm

bklvr896 wrote:
I believe this is exactly why the original Nook did not have a delete option, you had to do it from the computer. But people complained it was stupid not to be able to delete from the device. There is a warning message after you select delete. I'm wondering if you read it.

Exactly. Not having a delete option was one of most common complaints on these boards. And B&N finally caved in, and added a delete option.

Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

Take into account that the First Edition did not use a hidden partition for downloaded books. A USB connection gave you full access to the content (though as I recall, removing a book that way still left it listed on shelves  -- making the result as annoying as the HD/+ Cloud). 

The N1E also did not combine books on an SD card with the download library, so one could transfer to the card, then archive to clean up the library list while still having all books on the device.

Baron Wulfraed
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

On the N1E, if you deleted a book from the download partition, the next time you sync'd it would re-download the book.