New User
umtinc
0 Kudos

Nook Chess program error

Move pawn 3 two spaces and result is as if you moved 1 and black pawn takes pawn

Inspired Contributor
benjaminhuff
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Chess program error

But of you move pawn 4/2-6 then we have all out war! You should see it when the queen buries the other King...

Distinguished Correspondent
vitaminbillwebb
0 Kudos

How do you castle queenside, again? I've tried it and I can't get it to let me.

Frequent Contributor
mercury1965
0 Kudos

Yeah Chess is faulty on my rooted NC.

Wordsmith
kingskidjan
0 Kudos

So what you are saying is the NC cheats at Chess? :smileysad:
New User
umtinc
0 Kudos

Ive done it again in a different situation 

the nook cheats

same pawn (3rd) from left when moved 2 spaces the nook cheats and acts as if it moved 1 and takes the pawn. It even sets it in the 2 space move but quickly the screen changes as if it was only moved 1. Makes it impossible to win

I was actually able to get the pawn to show in the proper space with camera shot and then the next frame you can see the black pawn in the space as though it captured the brown pawn as if the brown pawn moved only 1

Distinguished Wordsmith
MaluhiaKana
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Just to clarify, you're not talking about the En passant rule, are you?

Contributor
byronczimmer

You are talking about the En Passant rule and the computer is not cheating, it is applying the rules correctly.

You can read up on it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/En_passant

New User
umtinc
0 Kudos

It looks like that can be the effect except I am not able to undo back 2 moves to see if my previous move was also a 2 space pawn move. 

For as long as I have played chess on my strictly amateur level I have never heard of that move. 

But the effect seems to be that it treats my moves as though it was

New User
terencemo
0 Kudos

I am facing a related issue. The en-passant rule is applied correctly when the NC is capturing my pawn, but when the NC moves 2 steps and I try to capture, my pawn moves to the right square, but the NC pawn is still on the board! I have tried this several times with the same result.

So suppose I'm playing white and I have a pawn on c5 and the NC has a pawn on b7. If the NC plays pawn b7-b5, I should be able to capture it with cxb5 e.p, and my pawn should land on b6. However, the black pawn remains on b5 after the move though my pawn moves to b6. This does not happen when roles are reversed.

New User
mfeher1971
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I'm renewing my interest in chess since I've gotten into daily NC usage after receiving it as a Christmas gift about a year and a half ago, and I'm really enjoying the NC quite a bit for a number of applications.  However, as I've gotten obsessed with playing chess on it lately, I've got some complaints, at least one of which seems to be mentioned here.  (Keep in mind I'm a rank amateur who learned chess as a kid but was never very good, so I don't know all the moves, terminology, etc.  I just the other day learned what castling is.)

1. I, too, have had the "pawn takes other pawn in impossible move" occur to me.  I can't always reproduce the problem but it seems to happen when the opposing pawn is three spaces and one row over from the pawn in question.  It's my pawn's first move and I take the two spaces forward that I'm permitted.  All conditions being right tactically speaking, the opposing pawn moves diagonally (into the empty square behind my pawn), passing by my pawn in the process, and I lose a pawn!  Since when is that a rule?  Further, why does it only seem to happen in that situation?

2. One of the NC's early moves in the game is to castle, but I for the life of me can't castle.  I can't simultaneously swap two pieces - it won't let me.  I know there's about five or six conditions (according to Wikipedia as just one source) necessary for castling to be permitted, but I'm never allowed to do it.

3. The first thing I noticed was the king is smaller than the queen.  I don't know if they're in their correct positions or if the icons or just switched or what, but I've learned to work around it.  Threw me for a loop the first few times I played.

4. Finally, the one that ticks me off the most, and I've proved it on several occasions:

Situation A: Opposing player moves to an open square adjacent to my king and could take my king from that position (based on their valid moveset).  I don't even get a chance.  All they have to do is park it next to me and "Sorry, you lost". I don't even get a chance to take the piece.

Situation B: Opposing player moves to a square occupied by one of my players adjacent to my king, takes the player, and "Sorry, you lost".  Again, no chance to take the player.

Situation C: I get put in check (I think it is) where every move my king makes would result in getting taken, so rather than automatically punching me out like the app does every other time, I have to manually resign.  I'm either missing another move I'm not seeing (because I'm focusing on trying to move the king, but I'm done, finito) or there's a bug.  I mean, it gives me "Sorry, you lose" for everything else, I would figure at least to be consistent it would auto-resign me.

Situation D: I miraculously am able to move a player into an empty square adjacent to the computer's king from which I could take the king (based on the player's valid moveset), but that doesn't make the computer lose like when it happens to me.  Inconsistent at best.

Situation E: Likewise, I somehow manage to get my player to take one of the opposing players in a square adjacent to the computer's king, and still I don't win.  My player gets taken by the king.

So, I think the app is buggy and at the very least unfair.  It is absolutely impossible to beat this game (unless you're a chess wiz which I most assuredly am not).  I've lost every single game I've played, and I'm up to probably around 100 games.

Also, since when are pawns allowed to reach my back rank(?) and just keep getting queens, especially if the original queen is still on the board?  Maybe that's a rule with which I'm unfamiliar but I thought you could only redeem pawns for single pieces that had been taken prior.

DeanGibson
Topics: 93
Kudos: 2,273
Solutions: 18

[ Edited ]

mfeher1971 wrote:

1. I, too, have had the "pawn takes other pawn in impossible move" occur to me.  I can't always reproduce the problem but it seems to happen when the opposing pawn is three spaces and one row over from the pawn in question.  It's my pawn's first move and I take the two spaces forward that I'm permitted.  All conditions being right tactically speaking, the opposing pawn moves diagonally (into the empty square behind my pawn), passing by my pawn in the process, and I lose a pawn!  Since when is that a rule?  Further, why does it only seem to happen in that situation?

Also, since when are pawns allowed to reach my back rank(?) and just keep getting queens, especially if the original queen is still on the board?  Maybe that's a rule with which I'm unfamiliar but I thought you could only redeem pawns for single pieces that had been taken prior.

You need to brush up on chess rules.  #1 is "En passant", and is legal.

Each pawn that reaches the bank row can become a queen.  You can have nine queens.

Nooks: 2 Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted;
    2 HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 (Android 4.0.4) rooted
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G3 & G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2 rooted; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

DeanGibson wrote:
[...] Each pawn that reaches the bank row can become a queen.  You can have nine queens.

If you opponent is getting that many, you're doing something wrong!

Is there a problem with castling in the B&N chess program? I read that there were issues on the original NOOK Color version, but I haven't played with it enough to replicate every scenario.

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro

mfeher1971 wrote:

Situation A: Opposing player moves to an open square adjacent to my king and could take my king from that position (based on their valid moveset).  I don't even get a chance.  All they have to do is park it next to me and "Sorry, you lost". I don't even get a chance to take the piece.

Situation B: Opposing player moves to a square occupied by one of my players adjacent to my king, takes the player, and "Sorry, you lost".  Again, no chance to take the player.

In this situations, are your opponent's pieces covered? If so, by taking them with your king, you'd be moving into check. If that's your only available move, you have, indeed, been checkmated.

Situation C: I get put in check (I think it is) where every move my king makes would result in getting taken, so rather than automatically punching me out like the app does every other time, I have to manually resign.  I'm either missing another move I'm not seeing (because I'm focusing on trying to move the king, but I'm done, finito) or there's a bug.  I mean, it gives me "Sorry, you lose" for everything else, I would figure at least to be consistent it would auto-resign me.

The game may not be over. Are you sure you can't take one of his pieces, or move one of yours to block the checking move? It may be a suicidal move, but it is legitimate. Be sure you have no available moves before resigning. 

Situation D: I miraculously am able to move a player into an empty square adjacent to the computer's king from which I could take the king (based on the player's valid moveset), but that doesn't make the computer lose like when it happens to me.  Inconsistent at best.

Situation E: Likewise, I somehow manage to get my player to take one of the opposing players in a square adjacent to the computer's king, and still I don't win.  My player gets taken by the king.

Is your piece covered? If your opponent can take your piece with his king without being in check, this is perfectly legitimate. The king is allowed to take any piece if the move doesn't place him in check. The goal is not just to place a single piece where it can capture the king. You must also put him in a position where no move out of check is possible. From your description, it sounds like taking your piece gets rid of the threat since he's no longer in check.

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
0 Kudos

mfeher1971 wrote:

2. One of the NC's early moves in the game is to castle, but I for the life of me can't castle.  I can't simultaneously swap two pieces - it won't let me.  I know there's about five or six conditions (according to Wikipedia as just one source) necessary for castling to be permitted, but I'm never allowed to do it.

I will have to check my NC tonight but the standard way to indicate castling is to move the king two squares toward the rook.  The program should move the rook automatically to the "outside" to protect the king.  In fact, standard chess rules I grew up with said you HAD to move the king first -- moving the rook was just moving the rook.  In order to castle, neither the king nor the rook may have been moved before, no piece may be between them and no square in either piece's path may be under attack.

mfeher1971 wrote:

Since always.  Pawns that reach the back rank can be redeemed for any kind of piece the player desires (except another king).  I've seen house rules where they can only be exchanged for a previously captured piece but those are house rules.

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, Angel Fire East, Batman Year One, Appleseed
Distinguished Correspondent
poiuy
0 Kudos

My dad taught me to play when I was five, we covered all that in the first couple of days.