Contributor
Kaylene_Burns
0 Kudos

Nook Color Battery

[ Edited ]

Any ideas to extend the life of my NOOK Color battery life? Even if I keep the Wi-Fi turned off, I only get about 8-9 hours of reading life. Is that about right for the rest of you?

This is my only  real complaint. Otherwise, I have really enjoyed my NC.

Distinguished Correspondent
Keystoneco
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color Battery

Sorry that your NC is only living up to it's advertised battery life! B&N states that the NC will give you up to 8 hours of reading (your mileage may differ). You have nothing to complain about.

When will people start doing research BEFORE they make a purchase?

Happy NC reading!

Contributor
Kaylene_Burns

I researched, which is why I bout the NC instead of Kindle. However, I did miss the part about the battery life. Thanks.

And, PS: just because someone has a question doesn't always mean they didn't research before the purchase. It is becoming irritating that so many of you "helpful" ones out there use that in such a derogatory and often manner. Sometimes it is just an honest question.

Distinguished Wordsmith
sygram

Wow, really I'm really sorry you got the response you did.  The information was accurate but the manner was quite rude.

Hope you stick around, there are some helpful people around here that will not be so rude or condescending when trying to any questions you may have.

Keystoneco

Kaylene,

Sorry if my frustration, for people complaining about the NC features that should have been known before they made a purchase, was aimed at you.  It wasn't personal.

People complain about weight, size, cost of books, won't do this or that, battery life, etc. and all of these were evident on the website or in store. Researching any new product is something I always do as part of the decision making progess for a purchase. 

If battery life is your only issue, then you should be most satisfied like the rest of us.  Have you considered an external battery (look for other posts on Duracell)?  The external battery will give you about an extra 4 hours of reading time.

Glad you're happy with the NC!

Scribe
dfehling
0 Kudos

Yes, 8 hours of reading is about right for me too. I get that with wifi on if I turn my brightness setting down. I just charge my NC every night and I am always good to go. (It's hard for me to ever squeeze in more than 8 hours of reading in a day anyway :smileyhappy:)

I bought a simple usb car charger adapter to take on long trips so I can charge in the car, especially if I am playing games, watching movies, etc in addition to reading.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Attributed to Groucho Marx
Frequent Contributor
Mack_the_Knife

-> Any ideas to extend the life of my NOOK Color battery life?

there are several discussions about external battery sources people (i for one) have purchased to add time to the NC when away from AC power.  search battery or charger and see if you can find them.  i have a powerhouse duracell battery (size of the playing card, weighs nada) which uses NC charging cord and gives me 2-3 hours extra time playing games and up to 4-5 if just reading.

♥ Children make you want to start life over
Wordsmith
mariel9898
0 Kudos

If you are rooted you can use an app like SetCPU (there are others). I went from charging every day to day-and-a-half or so to charging every 4 days or so. These apps let you control the CPU speed so that when the NC is asleep for example it uses very little battery power.

Inspired Contributor
Whyy42

Duracell Powerhouse Portable USB Charger $14.99

http://www.shnoop.com/

for the next 11 hours approximately 

Whyy

Wordsmith
CraigAZ

mariel9898 wrote:

If you are rooted you can use an app like SetCPU (there are others). I went from charging every day to day-and-a-half or so to charging every 4 days or so. These apps let you control the CPU speed so that when the NC is asleep for example it uses very little battery power.

Don't make the mistake I did, though. I bought SetCPU to work with battery life on my SD-carded CM7 NC. It didn't seem to make any difference and I continued to have substantial battery drain when asleep. As I Googled around, I see that SetCPU does not work with the current stable version of CM7 (and most likely, CM7 7.1 will have long battery life when sleeping without the need for SetCPU).

Wordsmith
CraigAZ
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Whyy42 wrote:

Whyy

Whyy42 wrote:

Whyy

This looks tempting. I've dealt with Woot, SaleADay and Yugster before but shnoop is new to me. Has anyone had good or bad experiences with shnoop? A quick Google search shows lots of recent issues with fraudulent credit card charges after placing a shnoop order. Buyer beware.

Keystoneco
0 Kudos

I just ordered one using Paypal.  The seller doesn't see your credit card information when using Paypal.

Inspired Contributor
Whyy42
0 Kudos

Have to say that I have had no problems using shoop but since I posted the original note it is a buyer beware issue.

Normally I use paypal thru them.

If you use woot then you should see them(Shoop) in the wootalyzer.

If you use woot and have not seen the Wootalyzer

http://www.wootalyzer.com/

Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez
0 Kudos

Whyy42 wrote:

Have to say that I have had no problems using shoop but since I posted the original note it is a buyer beware issue.

Normally I use paypal thru them.

If you use woot then you should see them(Shoop) in the wootalyzer.

If you use woot and have not seen the Wootalyzer

http://www.wootalyzer.com/

I ordered it from Shoop an hour ago (using your link, thank you). Paypal of course. They're selling it for half the price of the lower end duracell usb instant charger I got at rite-aid a week ago. The lower end one does not charge at all while the NC is in use, but it slowed down the battery drain by a total of 1.5 hours per single charge for me. The powerhouse one you linked to was $40 at rite-aid, and I'm willing to bet that one will do the trick.

Now for my sales pitch: If anybody has a mini/micro sub device they would like a portable charger for (that suffices off the standard 5V, 0.8A charger) I have one I would be happy to sell for $5 plus shipping (no idea what that would be). It came with a usb to mini usb cord to charge itself via computer (6" long), and if you have a wall/car charger for usb that will work (but I don't know what would happen if you used the NC charger transformer). Only used once.

The package (not included) it came in suggested using the device's carger cord to link it to the device.

Scribe
dfehling
0 Kudos

Whyy42 wrote:

Whyy

This looks like a great deal. Any idea how heavy the charger is?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Attributed to Groucho Marx
Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez
0 Kudos

dfehling wrote:

Whyy42 wrote:

Whyy

This looks like a great deal. Any idea how heavy the charger is?

About the weight and size (twice as thick, half as tall, just as wide) as a first generation classic Ipod. And looking at it through the package, it looks like the cord is retractable.

Frequent Contributor
sueott
0 Kudos

Amen! I admit that some of us are newbies, but it's impossible to read all past posts and we could do without the know-it-all sarcasm.

Inspired Contributor
gkaiseil
0 Kudos

I would go with the iGo Charge 'Anywhere a wall charger and battery in one. Just use your Nook Color cord or buy the A97 tip. You can also get a tip for your cell phone or MP3 player and use the charger battery with them. The only problem is the battery can not charge your Nook Color beyond 30% but if needed it will provide some additional power.

Contributor
vossn02
0 Kudos

You guys were a little over my head with this post.  I'm new to Nook Color.  My wi-fi has always been on and i've been getting about 6-7 hrs battery life for reading.  We go on vacation soon & I love to read in the car, but I'm worried i'll run out of battery.  The duracell thing you discussed - is that like an additional battery you plug into the Nook?  So then do you have to charge the Nook & the duracell thing?

Advice would be great!  Thanks

Distinguished Wordsmith
rbentley101
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

vossn02 wrote:

You guys were a little over my head with this post.  I'm new to Nook Color.  My wi-fi has always been on and i've been getting about 6-7 hrs battery life for reading.  We go on vacation soon & I love to read in the car, but I'm worried i'll run out of battery.  The duracell thing you discussed - is that like an additional battery you plug into the Nook?  So then do you have to charge the Nook & the duracell thing?

Advice would be great!  Thanks

I would recomend you get the B&N car charger.  They are not very expensive and would recharge your NC faster than external battery packs.

You are correct that the duracell backup battery discussed above, is an external battery that you plug into your NC to give it additional battery life.  As noted it will recharge slowly, much slower than using the AC adapter, but it will give you an extra few hours of reading.  You will have to recharge it after you have fully discharged it, just like you do your NC.