Frequent Contributor
whiteoakBR

Re: This was posted on tech forum 2 wks ago--

I noticed that you read the other post about how to care and use your charger to minimize damage.  I got my NC for Christmas 2010 (the husband bought it less than a month after it was announced).  I am still using the original charger and I plug it in to charge nightly, at least once a week I connect using the same cord to my computer to move files around, sideload podcasts, etc.

There must be some bad chargers out there and I agree that the design is a bit wonky - it requires some patience and care for proper use but there are a lot of people who seem to have major problems with multiple chargers and that seems to be partly due to improper handling.

I wish you luck in taking care of your problems with the charging cords.

Correspondent
dave47
0 Kudos

Re: This was posted on tech forum 2 wks ago--

Knowing the charger/cable situation for the NC isn't the greatest, I #1 *carefully/gently* plug the cable into the NC, then #1 plug the charger into an outlet, then #1 lay the NC down and let the charger do its thing then I #1 reverse the process.  I never read with the cable/charger plugged in.

So far, so good.

YMMV

When you get to a fork in the road --- take it.
New User
1234sb
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color Charger issues

i am so said because like 2 or 3 months ago my charger broke on me. the charger was for my nook color.my nook color is dead now and it sucks that i cant even get on it.....
Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

You can charge the NC with any USB port or USB charger. It will just take longer (6 to 8 hours to fully charge) and you cannot use it while charging (you will also not get the charging message on the screen).

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

1234sb wrote:
i am so said because like 2 or 3 months ago my charger broke on me. the charger was for my nook color.my nook color is dead now and it sucks that i cant even get on it.....

FInd a high output (1-2A) wall adapter and you should be able to let it charge overnight with the screen off using any microUSB cable. It will do better if you top it off periodically instead of letting it drain completely. Once it's dead, it takes a while before you can use it again.

Is the wall adapter broken, or the NOOK cable?

Wordsmith
Tarri
0 Kudos

Mine broke after a couple of months too.  I was very disappointed with the quality of the charger that came with my color nook.  My cell phone charger works and so does the cell phone charger I have in my car. 

Reader
Iread2relax
0 Kudos

I have had my Nook Color less than a year and have had 3 cords!  It gets expensive but the B&N clerk told me the base of the Nook where the cord attaches is very sensitive and I should not hold/read it while charging to save the cord.  That doesn't work for me when I'm tryng to finish a book. Was this a built in problem to make you replace the cord?  Why would it be that sensitive when obviously you are holding the Nook to read,

Distinguished Correspondent
Beachgirl75
0 Kudos

Iread2relax wrote:

I have had my Nook Color less than a year and have had 3 cords!  It gets expensive but the B&N clerk told me the base of the Nook where the cord attaches is very sensitive and I should not hold/read it while charging to save the cord.  That doesn't work for me when I'm tryng to finish a book. Was this a built in problem to make you replace the cord?  Why would it be that sensitive when obviously you are holding the Nook to read,

I'm sorry you've had this problem. The cynic in me says this is another way to extract money from the consumer. I guess I've been lucky and have had no issues with mine. I've had it more than a year. I don't read while it's charging as it too awkward to deal with the cord. I use one of my other nooks when my NC needs charging or charge it at night.

I used to be Snow White, but I drifted.
Contributor
Karyn429

I've gone through at least 3 new chargers. No matter how gently I handle them, they break. I gave up and now I'm using another charger every night. It is very odd to me that B&N does not acknowlege the problem and does nothing about it! I haven't tried using my non-Nook cord to connect the Nook with my PC. I hope it works. I am so happy with my Nook and so unhappy with its power cord!
Frequent Contributor
Radecliffe
0 Kudos

I'm on my third cord myself in a little less than a year.  My original cord lasted longest but only because I super glued it back together when it fell apart the first time.  I wanted a car charger anyway at the time so I just went and bought the car charger kit at BN.  That one lasted about 4 months before the plug started to crumble.  I called BN and they did send me a replacement cord pretty quickly so that was cool.  

I understand the problem with the first cord, it was not constructed very well and it was not much of a surprise that it broke.  I was surprised at the second one thought.  The construction looked a lot more solid and it was all one piece.  One day though the plastic just started to crumble around the Nook side plug like it had gone all brittle.  Hopefully this new one will last longer....

Don't Panic
Wordsmith
Tarri
0 Kudos

You can use any charger for the Nook that you use for your cell phone.  They are all interchangeable. 

Distinguished Correspondent
Keystoneco
0 Kudos

But...............it will charge slower, much slower. Most will take overnight to charge completely.
Contributor
gn2tx
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

ok I got one for you, I read my nook on and off all day yesterday the charge fell to about 30% by the time I plugged it in. I checked it 2 hours later and it was at 100%. I unplugged looked something up, took about 5 minutes. I set it on my shelf (it was off) and when to bed I got up this morning and turned it on. Nothing happened I tried to hold down the no button but nothing happened, I plug it in and and it tells me to to wait 15 min to turn on. About 2 weeks ago I let my mom use my nook for maybe 5 days and the same thing happened to her a few times but since she can't even use a cell phone I just assumed she had left it no or something, guess I was wrong. Its 2 1/2 years old now I bought it the first Christmas it was out. no way BN will fix it. 

Reader
Iread2relax
0 Kudos

I had no idea you could use your cell phone cord. Will try that.
Reader
Iread2relax
0 Kudos

Kind of makes ya want to go back to reading a book!
Reader 2
Mikrin
0 Kudos

The chargers will fall apart no matter what you do. I leave my charger on the counter and never read with it attached to my NC. When it's charging, it is on a flat surface and is easy to plug in and out (once you get the hang of it). I think mine lasted 6 months, then I found it in pieces on the counter. I think maybe the heat from charging makes the hard plastic brittle.