Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy

Nook Color Charger issues

I determined that the charger gets hotter the lower the batt. At 20. - 30% it gets almost to hot to touch. Starting Above 50% it is warm. Even starting at 20% it will cool when it gets above 70 to 80%.

mbratch posted a great explanation ;  "The charging current in a charger is higher when the battery level is lower. And the charging current abates as the battery charges. Or stated another way, the battery charges slower and slower as it approaches full charge"

Mine does not heat up enough to leave skin. It isn't even uncommon for chargers to be hot when working hard. It does get hot enough to be quite uncomfortable to hold on to. I would not be very concerned had I not read several posts (here and other forums) about the melting and the adverse affects on the NC when plugged in. My NC functions the same weather plugged in or not so I figure I have a working charger.

I AM curious to see what other people find.

The ones that melt are most likely defective and need replaced.Do not take any chances.

It would be helpful if we had more data.

Please post results.

** I am going to try and get this thread stickied**

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Inspired Wordsmith
dvt88
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color Charger issues

I always understood that it is best to let the battery discharge as much as possible in order to prolong battery life. Is this true?
Inspired Correspondent
lopaka47
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

dvt88 wrote:
I always understood that it is best to let the battery discharge as much as possible in order to prolong battery life. Is this true?

I've heard that as well. As a rule of thumb, I usually let my Nooks (Classic and Color) display their "time to recharge" screens before I get out the chargers. I figure those screens were designed into both systems for a reason, and I follow them to the letter to be on the safe side.

phoneboy
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

From what Ive heard it is best to NOT let charge go lower than 25% +/-  and only charge to 90% +/- . I have followed this method and it seems to work. I know quite a few people that dont and they are always complaining that the run time on thier device( phone, ipod etc) is not as good as when it was new. This is just an oppinion.. Results May Vary. :smileyhappy: 

** The 90% is less important then letting drop below 25% IMO**

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Inspired Contributor
withfeeling

The idea of always discharging a battery almost completely before recharging is obsolete information dating back to NiCd batteries. The phenomenon of losing capacity by recharging a partially charged battery is called "memory". The newer NiMH and, especially, Lithium batteries have almost no memory effect, so you should feel free to recharge your battery at any point. In fact, the battery can be damaged by real deep discharge cycles. Devices, like the NC, will force a shutdown long before that deep discharge point is reached.

Two slight caveats:

1) You might want to occasionally let the battery discharge down to where the NC shuts off. This is primarily for calibrating the NC's notion of what a full battery cycle looks like. Sometimes the reported percentage full can get out of whack with the battery as it ages, and this allows the NC to relearn what the discharge curve really is.

2) If you store your NC for a long time (e.g. months), it is best for battery longevity to have the battery partially discharged-not full, not empty-while it is being stored.

Inspired Wordsmith
dvt88
0 Kudos

To withfeeling: thank you for the really good info.
New User
MOM426
0 Kudos

We have a color nook and it was near empty. We plugged it in to the charger and it melted. We called B&N and they said it's under warranty and they are sending a replacement charger.  OK, good temp fix, but this belongs to my son.  I don't want him to be burned in the future and I certainly don't want a fire in my home.

Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez

MOM426 wrote:

We have a color nook and it was near empty. We plugged it in to the charger and it melted. We called B&N and they said it's under warranty and they are sending a replacement charger.  OK, good temp fix, but this belongs to my son.  I don't want him to be burned in the future and I certainly don't want a fire in my home.

Hopefully its a permanent fix. I would suggest stress testing the new charger from a very low charge before charging unattended. It is great that your son and home were not harmed, and I would hope that B&N will issue a recall as soon as they can identify and correct the cause, then warranty would not matter.
Reader
Aspired2Write

I have a different problem, my charger connection that goes into the nook color has been loose and now broke. Has anyone else had this problemI don't like the fact that you have to have the charger from B & N, so now I just have to wait.

Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez
0 Kudos

Aspired2Write wrote:

I have a different problem, my charger connection that goes into the nook color has been loose and now broke. Has anyone else had this problemI don't like the fact that you have to have the charger from B & N, so now I just have to wait.

I read about that same issue in another thread, but i forget which one. So i will relay the best solution as i dont remember which thread to link to. This is as i remember it from flyingtoaster, who i am almost certain is a b&n bookseller. He said that sometimes the stores get returned nook colors with other issues and if they have any on hand, they likely will swap out yours for one of those. Otherwise, they will direct you to customer service. He also suggested calling ahead so as to not make a trip for nothing. Paraphrased of course. In any event, a 15 minute call to customer service is likely to get one on your doorstep within a few days. Good luck.
roustabout
0 Kudos

I picked up a micro USB cable at Target for 15 bucks, so I wouldn't hammer my charging cable when I was swapping the device on and off the computer as I learned ADB. 

It lasted about 3 weeks, but during that time I was able to get a charge by leaving it connected overnight.

Of course I no longer have the receipt. 

Moral:  there's lots of dodgy micro USB connectors in the world, no monopoly held by the NC supply chain. 

That, and keep your receipts...

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Correspondent
SRay

Someone (I forgot who) suggested weeks ago that it would be great if B&N made a usb cable with a right-angle connector on the nook end. It seems like having it plugged in while reading is what really puts the stress on my cable and the nook's socket. Working on my second cable already. I try not to read while plugged in, but sometimes my desire to read and its charge level aren't on the same page (pun intended).

Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez

SRay wrote:

Someone (I forgot who) suggested weeks ago that it would be great if B&N made a usb cable with a right-angle connector on the nook end. It seems like having it plugged in while reading is what really puts the stress on my cable and the nook's socket. Working on my second cable already. I try not to read while plugged in, but sometimes my desire to read and its charge level aren't on the same page (pun intended).

That was me, two weeks ago in the "battery replacement?" Thread. I called it a low profile connector, but a right angle makes more sense. I also asked for an external battery as a work around for not having a user accessable battery.
Frequent Contributor
MIM49

This was posted on tech forum 2 wks ago--

IMO-- USB cable/charger is a big problem

New User
kc8D

charger is killing me!!
2 weeks ago

Ok ok... so here's my story: I bought my NOOKcolor back in December, I noticed the problem as soon as I plugged in my nook and the charger just wouldn't go in all the way and it was only charging if i held it at a certain angle. I figured I was doing something wrong so I went to my Barnes & Noble store and the associate I talked to gave the charger a good shove and miracle of miracles, it started working perfectly. I figured I just had to show a little tough love to my nook so despite my fears of destroying the charger port I followed the associates example. It worked that way for a couple of months and then I noticed the charger getting loose and finally just bending, and breaking. Still thinking it was my fault, I went back to my B&N store and bought a new charger. And guess what????  IT HAPPENED AGAIN!!!  And those things are not cheap... Ughhh... So I called B&N  NOOkcolor support and they say they are sending me a new charger. I am very suspicious of these chargers now. Has anyone had a similar problem or am I just having a string of unfortunate events?

p.s.

Also at the very top right corner of my screen it looks like I have some dead pixels... those were there the very first time I turned my nook on... they don't look dangerous, but still. I feel like I was jipped.

Frequent Contributor
MIM49

Re: charger is killing me!!
2 weeks ago
If you check back to the beginning of this forum, you will find an unsettling, scary number of posts regarding charger/cable failure. There are not as many posts on the general forum but there are some. I recently contacted CS because mine also failed like yours. CS immediately offered to send a new cable to me and did not want the old cable returned. I have had my NC only since Dec. so still under warranty. My concernis when replacement cable fails--and I have no doubt that it will--I will have to pay for the replacement. These cables have a design flaw which needs to be solved and then all our lemon cables should be recalled and replaced--before they ruin our NC which will be a much more costly replacement
Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez

Submitted for your approval: One right angle mini usb adapter.

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Mini-USB-Right-Charger-Adapter/dp/B001B653YU

Should all but eliminate strain on the stock charging cable, and quite possibly reduce strain on the NC charging port, depending on how you hold it while charging. My bet is that it will not add to the charge time as it should only be acting as a bridge.  Your thoughts?

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,244
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

That's mini-USB, not micro-USB, and won't fit the NookColor.

Even if it was a micro-USB, it probably would affect charging, unless the extra contacts are there.  That seems unlikely, since an adapter with the extra contacts would not work with almost all other devices out there (wouldn't physically fit).

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
2 Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Contributor
HarrietLD
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Will using a non-B&N right angle adapter void the warranty for the NC?

Also, I checked the status if the "charge" and it said 100% but the color of the NOOK

horseshoe was still amber.  I thought it was supposed to turn green when the charge is

completed?

Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez
0 Kudos

DeanGibson wrote:

That's mini-USB, not micro-USB, and won't fit the NookColor.

Even if it was a micro-USB, it probably would affect charging, unless the extra contacts are there.  That seems unlikely, since an adapter with the extra contacts would not work with almost all other devices out there (wouldn't physically fit).

Thanks dean. I retract previous link and submit this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Microusb-Popular-Practical-Exquisite/dp/B004T6MMA2/ref=sr_1_12?s=wire...

Yes, i concied it is possible that it won't fit. In which case I submit to Sam: we want an official one of these!!!

@ Harriett, I'm not even sure that it would fit, as dean seems to think it won't.  If it does fit however, I am pretty sure it would just take longer to charge, as that seems to be the general concensus with using a USB car charger adapter.

As far as the warranty goes, yes i am pretty sure that if B&N found evidence that a non NC cord was plugged into the charging port that they can refuse to warrant it. Is that right Sam?

roustabout
0 Kudos

Sure would be nice if that landscape mode worked as advertised when everyone who bought their nook colors before today bought their nook colors. 

Then we could all read and charge at the same time without compressing the stock cable, and Barnes and Noble wouldn't have to spend so much money replacing cables. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
New User
naturalqueen

i am about to scream and buy my 3rd charger...my chargers seem to last about 2 months then they are toast, I just plugged brand new charger #2 into my nook this evening and it simply is not charging...i've tried plugging it into several sockets, connecting to my lap top, nothing....any advice?