Contributor
Sahrenity
0 Kudos

Nook Color Charger

Can anyone please tell me where to get a charger for nook color. they are not selling them on B&N and I can not find it any where.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color Charger

1) Call up your local store(s) and ask them to keep one for you the next time they get a batch. You might have to pay in advance.

2) Check with the B&N reps on this forum like Alex and see if one of them can get you one.

Chargers are in very low stock. You might have to use a normal phone charger that fits your Nook Color.

Contributor
KellieKatLady

Hi Sahrenity,

I posted this on another thread with the same subject yesterday.  In case you did not see it:

If you just need the cable, try this:  http://www.hedocell.com/Barnes-Noble-Nook-Color-Data-Cable.html 

I ordered one of these and it did the trick for me.  It charges my NC from my computer or with the charging block that plugs into a wall outlet.  When using the wall outlet, it says the status indicates "not charging" but it is.  This company also carries car chargers for the NC. 

Good luck!

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957

KellieKatLady wrote:

Hi Sahrenity,

I posted this on another thread with the same subject yesterday.  In case you did not see it:

If you just need the cable, try this:  http://www.hedocell.com/Barnes-Noble-Nook-Color-Data-Cable.html 

I ordered one of these and it did the trick for me.  It charges my NC from my computer or with the charging block that plugs into a wall outlet.  When using the wall outlet, it says the status indicates "not charging" but it is.  This company also carries car chargers for the NC. 

Good luck!

As for the wall outlet, I noticed yesterday that even Walgreens has both wall plugs and car plugs (for what used to be called the cigarette lighter).  The lower-amperage ones (generally around 1 amp) will charge a Nook Color or other tablet, but slowly, and may show that "not charging" message.  The high
amperage ones (around 2 amps) are designed for tablets or iPads and will charge faster.

Inspired Correspondent
The_Imperfect
0 Kudos

From what I understand, they show "not charging" when using the non-Color cords, because they deliver less power, and when the screen is on, it is using the power it is getting, or close to it. But when you turn the screen off, the battery level can go up, because the screen is not draining it. 

Of course, the moment you try to observe it charging, it stops charging as much, because the screen is back on.  It's all physics-theory-y-ish like that.

bobstro
0 Kudos

With a high output wall adapter (2.1A), you'll get about 10% per hour charge rate, including with that Hedocell cable. You'll notice in the description that they describe sync, not charging with that cable. With the B&N cable (with the longer and proprietary microUSB end) and the same adapter, you'll get a faster rate. About double IIRC.

The key to charging is to have a wall adapter with sufficient power. The key to charging quickly is to use the B&N cable with that same charger. You can certainly make do with a high output charger and regular microUSB cable, provided you don't mind leaving it plugged in overnight.

Contributor
KellieKatLady
0 Kudos

Appreciate your comments bobstro, but the problem for many of us is that the original B&N cable is broken and replacements are not available.  My local B&N store called Nook service for me and was told that I could go buy a cable anywhere (which I knew to be untrue). If you have a source for genuine B&N cables for the NC, please let us know.  I'm sure you will make a lot of people happy.

New User
Gandhawk
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

thanks for the link Gandhawk.

Good to see it back in stock.

For anyone who has had power problems with the cable I'd recommend getting this now. There are expected to be lots of shortages in the future.

You can also get it from the link KatLadyKellie wrote. Or you can use a phone charger.

bobstro
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Without the actual B&N cable (not the Hedocell cable), you're stuck with a regular micro USB cable. That 10 percent per hour recharge rate is as good as you're going to get, and that only with a high output adapter. Some of the comments here seem to imply any adapter will do, or even a computer USB port. If they're of insufficient power, they may not even charge with the screen on. Go with 2.1a and let it sit overnight. At least it'll charge.