Frequent Contributor
Lulugirl28
0 Kudos

Nook Color Doing Strange Things!

Last night, while playing Words With Friends, my NC suddenly started acting crazy. The screen,on its own, startied getting huge than going small then getting large and I couldn't stop it. I tried three times to turn it off and it finally shut down. Today It ran fine on another game I was playing but while trying to play WWF, I got a message that an update was available and I had to clikc on the "OK" button. It took me to the B & N screen to purchase it. I have already purchased it. I then tried to see if there were any upgrades on the Apps page and there was one for WWF. I downloaded the update but I kept getting the message that I had "low application memory" so I have archived almost all of my apps.  The update did install but when I tried to play WWF, I got the original message that took me back to the buy screen.  In otherwords, it looks like I have to rebuy the game if I want to keep playing it.

Something is wrong. I wouldn't think that the update would take up so much room. Is this normal? Why do I have to rebuy the game?

Thanks.

Contributor
dianer69
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color Doing Strange Things!

Same thing happened to me. If you Archive and then Unarchive it you should be fine.
Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Good to hear that archive/unarchive works with Words with Friends to resolve the problem.  It's a really helpful first step to try, but not always bulletproof, and if it fails the next thing to do is let both the app developer and Alex know - there was a point where Epicurious could neither update nor be archived and successfully unarchived, and that went on for a painful length of time. 

The resolution was driven in large part by trouble reports here, it seemed, as these forums are better venues for detailed trouble reporting than the phone support number is. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Frequent Contributor
Lulugirl28
0 Kudos

I  tried the "chat" feature with B & N but the person told me to do everything that I had already tried. She told me to call for tech support. The tech person told me that I needed to archive and then unarchive. That worked . However, I had to archive almost all of my other apps before it would work. After I updated WWF, I was able to unarchive some of the Apps I had to archive.

I have an original NC and the tech person suggested that I go to B & N and have them repartition my NC so that I have more room for Apps. I don't have that many books downloaded on my NC but I have trouble whenever I try to download an App because I get a "low memory" message.  Repartitioning kind of concerns me. What will it do? Will that really help and if I don't like it can it be reversed?

Thanks.

Frequent Contributor
PepSnickerMint
0 Kudos

I went to my APP section, checked for updates and updated it there. I wasn't able to actually see the updates unless I restarted my nook first, though. I didn't have to buy it twice and my WWF is working now.

Inspired Contributor
Nerdymamaw
0 Kudos

I was having the same problem when I downloaded the Angry Birds Space game so I took my NC to my local B&N store and had it repartitioned over the weekend.  For some reason, I had to reregister and reload everything.  When I tried to reload the Scrabble game, I kept getting a message saying it wasn't usable on this device.  I archived it and unarchived it to no avail.  I finally called customer service and we determined that, for some reason, my NC had reverted from update 1.42 back to 1.2.  I downloaded 1.42 and reinstalled it and everything turned out okay.  Just be aware of this and be sure to back up anything you have sideloaded because you will lose it.

Contributor
nookieloverJF
0 Kudos

I have the n2a card and my nook color is powering its self off when I try to put it to sleep. It also keeps reloading websites over and over to the point of being non useble.

I have tried to report it to n2a but their website is stupid. I have tried 3 times to contact support and I keep getting forms to fill out and it goes around and around in circles. I am past frustration. I love my card up until now. the support has been excellent but I can't get through. Has anyone else had this problems, and if so how did you slove it if you did. thanks for any help I can get.

Nooklover

Contributor
nookieloverJF
0 Kudos

I am soo happy that i bought an n2a card. I don't know about the other companies but Alex is really great. I guess I managed to send in a work ticket because Alex emailed me with instructions and a link to download my software again. i did and everything is working great again. I think his customer service is really great. His customer service goes beyond my expectations. Great work Alex. :smileyhappy:

Nooklover

roustabout
0 Kudos

Lulugirl asks "Repartitioning kind of concerns me. What will it do? Will that really help and if I don't like it can it be reversed?"

When your NC shipped, it was set up with 1 gig for BN apps, and 5 gig for books, magazines and things you wanted to put on the NC yourself. 

After repartitioning, you have 5 gig for BN apps, books and magazines and 1 gig for things you put on yourself (music, PDF files, your own books.) 

Also, the process completely reformats your NC, so be sure to make your own copy of anything you have put there before you repartition. If you were rooted to start with, repartitioning will remove that. 

CS is right, repartitioning will help a lot with the out of memory errors you are getting when you install apps. 

Be sure that after you have it done, the store also gets your Nook OS back to the release you were running when it came in - one poster in this thread wound up being reverted from 1.4 to 1.2 because the store didn't remember to check that.

The store cannot undo the process.  It is possible to undo it for yourself, but not that easy - I have instructions here for how to do it on your own:

http://nookworks.blogspot.com/2011/05/oh-this-is-annoying-i-only-have-1g-of.html

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Correspondent
Temetka
0 Kudos

I manually repartitioned my nook color so its at 3g for bn stuff and the rest for me. I have found that since i constantly root, gack, change the os out it is easier for me to keep anything i care about on my sd card. However since getting a Nook Tablet, I find that I rarely use ny Nook Color any more. It is now the device I use to run with ICS on while all my reading is done on my nook simple touch and tge Nook Tablet hangs out running the stock OS and doing light duty tablet stuff. I recently got a  10" Thibkpad Tablet which handles all my day to day stuff with the nook's in a backup role.

I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it. - Voltaire

“If there were no God, it would have been necessary to invent him.” - Voltaire
roustabout
0 Kudos

Once you've repartitioned the NC or NT, if you want to have access to the files (books and mags) to manage with Calibre, take a look at /data/media/B & N Downloads 

If you create a folder by that name on /media you can remove the one in /data/media and symlink to your /media/B&N Downloads folder - and the Nook software will download to the visible partition.

Since you have an NST, be aware that you can resize the partitions on that as well, and again redirect

/data/media/B&N  Downloads to /media.  That gives you more room for sideloads on-device and makes your library visible again.  

All of this, though, comes under "advanced android tricks" :smileyhappy: 

Frequent Contributor
Lulugirl28
0 Kudos

Thanks for all of the help!  I don't have anything on my NC except for things I have purchased from B & N (Apps and free books). I am not very techie so don't really know how to do the sideloaded stuff. I do have a N2A card. Will I still be able to use the N2A card if I have it repartitioned?