Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch
Accepted Solution

Nook Color and Tablet charging cables

If your NC/NT cable is showing signs of failing even slightly now is the time to act.  My store no longer has them in, and apparently they are no longer orderable.  I know this is true of several other stores near to my store.

So I urge you now to see if you can get a cable.  I also implore you to call 1-800-the-book and complain if your local B&N does not have cables.  Not that the store did not help you, but that they were unable to because of lack of stock of a product B&N makes.

I've mentioned this sort of thing was on the horizon in other threads.  It looks like it's a bit closer than some had originally thought. 

And while you should be able to use any extended USB cable, I can see the powers that be citing that as the cause of any defect if it's found out.  Which will just be one more frustration when trying to help people with their older devices.

B&N really needs to learn what it means to be a tech company.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Rignes
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color and Tablet charging cables

Actually, I contacted BN support and they were under the impression that they were just temporarilly out of stock.  They said more should be available in a few days.  And as of the time of this post the cables are again available online.  I think I'll snap one up just in case.

I certainly hope they keep these sort of essentials available for quite some time at least online.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,975
0 Kudos

I dug up something interesting at work last night that would lend credence to this being a temporary shortage, but I can't say for certain as of yet.

Anyway, my store has a few hundred of the pwoer kits (the one with the wall charger) still in stock, so if need be I can ship them to customers if you're ok with phone ordering and in desperate need of a cable.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Mercury Glitch and Flying Toastr - thanks for the updates.

I think anyone with just one device (and thus just one cable) should get a replacement one as a backup.

Frequent Contributor
TriscuitCracker
0 Kudos

Yeah at my store we have been out of NT adapters/cords and cords for a long time, you can try and order them through store support I have heard however. I've just been handing out all of our years worth of stray cables and adaptors to customers as I see fit. Some people are just in tears from going to stores and not being able to find cords. Cords breaking was BY FAR the number one issue of the NC/NT. so now that we have replaced it with a 30 pin dock, everybody is complaining about their old cords not being able to fit *facepalm*  But I am happy to be able to have some to give out at all.  You can technically try and use another cord from a similar device but it may damage your battery, theres no way to really tell.

I'm also angry that we received no warning or memo on the discontinuation of devices or updates or any kind of direction on how we can continue to support our customers who bought this device right before Xmas 2012 and are now needing cords and adapters. Just one day we stopped getting devices and cords and we're left to fend for ourselves. On the 'plus' side, we do have plenty of NT/NC cases of which they are still 25-50 dollars in price. *facepalm* They should all be changed to $10-20 dollars at most right now in my opinion.

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

We were told in my store when they made the call to stop producing the NC/NT.  But we'd sort of figured it out well in advance when they released the HD/+.  I was on the forums encouraging anyone who bought a NC/NT from Nov 15 on to return the device for an HD/+ because of issues like this one. 

We're basically out of cables we can give away, I think we've got one NC/NT cable in the store which we have to keep to make sure it's the cable that's gone bad for our customers. 

We have a slowly shrinking number of NC/NT cases which are sort of hard to sell with no devices for them in the store.  Every now and then someone comes in for one though.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,975
0 Kudos

I have about a dozen NC/NT cases total left in my store, and they're all just the really bad ones no one wanted in November of 2010 when the Encore came out (the fugly grey sleeves and the brown one that looks like a purse, if you remember those). And I still get a fair number of people asking for them weekly. 

On the other hand, we have some sixty of the red Tasume covers for the NHD, which apparently mde my DSM have a mild heart attack while doing the cycle count this morning. :smileyhappy:

Oddly enough, we got a massive drop shipment of NC/NT power cords and power kits right before Christmas, and have been selling through them since. We finally ran out of cables last week, but we still have plenty of the full power kits left.

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

I seem to remember getting a fair amount of the kits in at some point, but we blew through them really quickly.  Same for the cables. 

Today was the first day in a week solid that I haven't had to turn away anyone in the store, but that's only because no one came in asking for them.  I did have a few phone calls about them.

Inspired Correspondent
The_Imperfect
0 Kudos

Tasumes covers are great! We never got any for HDs at my store, they were so popular. Any cover that stands up both ways is super popular, so people love the 360 right now (but, as I found out with my own device, you can't plug in the HDMI adapter while it's in a 360 cover, d'oh).

We have no cords left, either. I bought one as a spare, too. We have tons of the car kit, though. The car kit includes the wire for the NC/NT, a regular ST USB wire, and the car plug. Most people still have the clunky wall part, so this is a way to replace the cord and at least still get something different and new (and a bonus cord they can probably use for phone-to-computer).
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Could someone please link to this Tasumes cover or add a photo? What does it look like?

B&N Bookseller
JL_Garner
0 Kudos

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Thanks. This is really good. IT looks polished too.

I never understood why people go after covers that double up as a stand until I got a Surface RT which has that little pullout stand that lets you hold it up. What a difference it makes.

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

So we have a few in now, they're aware of the issue, and are working on getting more to the stores. 

They are, however, giving a lot of space for them to back out.  There was no mention of this being an ongoing solution, and given the time tables mentioned I can see stores being out of cables for quite some time before they're able to get replacements in. 

One of the suggestions is still to call 1-800-the-book. 

New User
ksdtpa
0 Kudos

Hi-- does your store still have the power kits? I'm in desperate need thanks.