Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color vs Tablets + Nook App

rafalweb wrote:

Thank you for all of the replies guys.......a lot of good info.   Now I have to dredge up 250 bucks.   

If $250 is more than you can swing, start looking for BN refurbs.  Last week Buy.com had one for $199 and Overstock had one for $185 with coupon.  Some people shy away from refurbs but at least on the N1E a refurb is generally as good as a new one.  If your new NC broke the warranty would let them replace it with a refurb anyway.

Contributor
Nana7LV
0 Kudos

I have the N1E and I've been looking at the NC. I purchased a BN membership and will get $25 off the NC. (Yes, I know that it doesn't cover ebooks, but I buy books for my grandchildren!) Just thought I'd throw that out there!

Inspired Wordsmith
MatthewH
0 Kudos

Both price and size were considerations for me: an iPad is too big and too expensive for me.  Also there's a Barnes and Noble store near me, so I can get local support if needed.  And I can read many books free while in that store.
At the end of a day working, I love curling up in the sofa with my NC for websurfing and reading: more relaxing than looking up at a computer.
I'm about to order one of these, because I find myself using cushions to prop up my NC in the sofa:
http://www.levenger.com/PAGETEMPLATES/PRODUCT/Product.asp?Params=Category=15-225|Level=2-3|pageid=7614

schatzieWI wrote:
Price would be the only reason in my opinion. My daughter has an ipad and is very happy. When my nookcolor bites the dust, i will be buying a full-featured tablet. But, in the meantime, my nookcolor has pretty much replaced my laptop for web- surfing, email, etc. Laptop is only used for finances, letter writing, printing, faxing, etc.
Remember: the big print giveth, the small print taketh away.
Inspired Wordsmith
chuck4prez
0 Kudos

I just thought it looked cool. I made no comparisons with other devices, and still know absolutely nothing about them. I did look into the NC thoroughly, but the bottom line is I stopped at the NC just because it looks cool. I still remain in ignorant bliss, but I still think I got the right one for  me,

Reader 2
FonGal
0 Kudos

I purchased three other tablets before finding the NC. The top reason for going with the NC was the ease of page turning while reading. The others were too difficult to deal with and I felt like it was an effort to turn pages. The Kindle wasn't an issue since you can only read with it. I really love that I surf the web, shop, and listen to music on the NC. Now, the upgrade I am loving it even more--if that is possible. I consider the NC the better solution and much more reasonably priced the the ipad. Plus, the ipad is awkward to hold in one hand. I would rather spend the difference in price on lots of eBooks.

Correspondent
spymom6
0 Kudos

I never wanted an ereader. I loved the feel of books in my hands and could not imagine holding a flat tablet type device to read. My husband kept bugging me about getting an ereader-he is a techie and we were running out of space to store my books. Looked at every available ereader made. Narrowed it down to Kindle or Nook. I could not decide. They just did not "do it" for me. Then the NC came out. And I knew. This is what I want. I like multitaskers. Couldn't buy a device for one purpose only. I like to access the web, email, and read. I wanted access to newspapers, magazines, and I wanted to see it all in color. Never liked the appearance of e ink. Bought one of the first ones in Nov. 2010 and never looked back. If it is possible to be in love with a device, color me pink! And the update and apps! Perfect.

New User
jcatlett76
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I don't actually have a Nook Color but I do have a Kindle and love it. However, we are not here to discuss the competition. My other device is a 7" Android tablet that I bought off Ebay for $120 back in Janurary. They are now going for about $90 for the same tablet. I run the Nook app on it and it works beautifully. I just can't justify spending $240 for the Nook Color when I can accomplish the same thing on what is now a tablet for under $100. Although I like my Kindle, I find myself using the Nook app more and more these days because of the back lit LCD and reading in bed. It's so frustrating to try and find a book like that works well. Now I also have the Kindle app but again, I prefer the Nook app because of the amount of customization it allows. I can also shop for books with it and it delivers right to my tablet. So, my suggestion for those on a budget is to buy a cheap Android tablet for under $100 and run the app. I have also seen Android based readers at Walgreens for around a hundred dollars that you can load the Nook app onto. Remember, the NC is a great device but personally I'd rather save that $150 for the books I can buy for it. Also, you can load any epub formatted book on it reguardless of where it was purchased.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

It all depends on what you want. Enhanced content books and magazines so far will not work through apps for any othet device. I have several enhanced books, which are fantastic. Most notably is Ken Burns' the Civil War. New mags like Time and People have enhanced features as well. Read to me kid's books will not work either. I do like the nook app on my phone and know the app is different on a tablet, but it does lack some features. I do believe screens will or are catching up with the quality of the NC's, but its screen is still superior to many out there. As far as epubs go, I've already mentioned it's not quite true that you can load all epubs into the app-enhanced books are epubs as well, but you can also load epubs from other retailers onto the NC as well. I believe others have compared or discussed the Walgreen's reader before. Please, don't even suggest it is of the same quality as the NC. As far as other $100 tablets, people really must do their homework. It's like me saying there's no difference between a $300 laptop and a $2000 one. What's inside? Does it deliver? What's the track record? Support? Warranty? Specs? The processor may be incapable of playing any video. What version of Android is on it? Don't suggest xomething just because of price, but compare first the specs, then the features and make the decision that works for you. I personally want to see what's coming out soon. I'd shell out $250 for an NC2 that incorporated what the NC now has, but has more. Rumored to be coming before Christmas and before Amazon's.
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Inspired Correspondent
jrussell1
0 Kudos

When I am at home I use a full size tablet. When I'm not I use the NC. Interesting how each tablet gets it half right. Samsung has a dual core 7.7 Inch coming that may just hit all the marks.
deemure
0 Kudos

jrussell1 wrote:
When I am at home I use a full size tablet. When I'm not I use the NC. Interesting how each tablet gets it half right. Samsung has a dual core 7.7 Inch coming that may just hit all the marks.

I think Samsung is the one company so far taking this seriously. Most all I need to or want to do I can do now. I use my phone for many things, my NC for others, and my pc or laptop for still others. Until a tablet with Android nook app will read my enhanced books and mags, I've no reason to get one. Others have different needs. It will be interesting to see what comes along. It would be kind of neat if BN could form a sort of partnership with google. Just my musing, of course.
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Contributor
WriterRiolu
0 Kudos

Well, if you want the NC still, it now costs a measly $100<. Also the fabled NC2 is now out. Actually called the Nook tablet, it is great! It performs some things even better then the new Nook HD and HD+. And it now only costs $130<. May I add that the Nook app is not as good as the real deal. It probably takes up too much space and updates may be constant, and not all updates are free. This is an opinion, but I truly think the Nook tablet or NC is the better deal.

Frequent Contributor
stolenmoment
0 Kudos

If we're resurrecting a thread that's over a year dead, I'd like to hear a comparison between a Nexus 7 running the Nook app and FBReader, and a Nook HD. The N7 is my current front-runner for a NC replacement (I drool over my son's), but I'm using CM10+FBReader on my NC, and only using the Nook app for purchases.
DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,257
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

stolenmoment wrote:
If we're resurrecting a thread that's over a year dead, I'd like to hear a comparison between a Nexus 7 running the Nook app and FBReader, and a Nook HD. The N7 is my current front-runner for a NC replacement (I drool over my son's), but I'm using CM10+FBReader on my NC, and only using the Nook app for purchases.

I think there is an existing thread on this.  Note that the N7 doesn't have an SD card slot (if you care).

Nooks: 2 HD+/16GB & 2 HD/8GB: B&N 2.2.0 (Android 4.0.4) rooted;
    2 Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G3 & G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2 rooted; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Contributor
WriterRiolu
0 Kudos

That reminds me, do you know much more about the ereaders? l want to get one, but I don't know if it will be worth all that money.

bobstro
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

WriterRiolu wrote:

That reminds me, do you know much more about the ereaders? l want to get one, but I don't know if it will be worth all that money.

If you're going to invest heavily in B&N content, be it video, ebooks or subscriptions, the B&N devices might have an edge. They provide some nice features for the price, and if the B&N ecosystem has enough to meet your needs, they're a good choice. Some "enhanced" content (e.g. Conde Nast pubs like Wired Magazine) require a NOOK device.

On the other hand, if you have an investment in content from other sources, want more than the B&N ecosystem offers (particularly apps) or just want more choices, I'd opt for a more general purpose tablet like the N7. Personally, I went with a Samsung before the N7 was released, and I'm still very pleased with it. If you want a gorgeous display, the N10 is also a nice choice in a larger device.

I've had enough frustrations with B&N's ecosystem that I'm very unlikely to buy another NOOK device, unless their next eInk device remains about $100 or less, and offers some really compelling features.

Contributor
WriterRiolu
0 Kudos

Thank you! I already know solutions to the app problem, I just needed to know if it was worth it!