New User
Gen54
0 Kudos

Nook Color

Hello,
I am American but have lived and worked in Canada for the last 10 years.

I visit my family in New England as often as I can.
Yesterday I bought a Nook Color at a Staples in R.I. 

This purchase is for the soul purpose of buying ebooks at Barnes and Noble.

I payed with my Visa.

When I got to my parents' house, I registered the product on line.
I then charged the battery.

When the Nook Color was charged, I wanted to buy a book.

I then discovered that I COULD NOT BUY ANY BOOK.

A window popped up stating :

Unable to purchase. Order country different than billing country.

Has anyone any suggestions ?  I'm afraid I'll be forced to return the product.

GGM
Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Color

One thing to explore is whether a proxy server that accesses B&N from the United States would make them happy that the order and billing country are the same.

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

@Gen54

I have sent you a Private Message (the small white envelope on top of the page).

Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

BruceMcF wrote:

One thing to explore is whether a proxy server that accesses B&N from the United States would make them happy that the order and billing country are the same.

@Bruce: I think you have it backwards. The OP was in the U.S. trying to buy books with a credit card that has a Canadian billing address. That cc was fine for buying the device in a U.S. store, but when it came to buying books online, not so much.

@Gen54: I would try getting a prepaid debit card registered at your parents' address and attaching that card to your B&N account. AFAIK that would let you buy ebooks online from B&N when you're logged in there. I'm not sure about how it would respond when you're logged in back home in Canada, but it might still work because it would still see the U.S. billing address. If not, that's where Bruce's suggestion of using a proxy would come in.

Please visit me on Goodreads. Currently reading:
Journey Into Now by Leonard Jacobson
Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

Sun_Cat wrote:

@Bruce: I think you have it backwards. The OP was in the U.S. trying to buy books with a credit card that has a Canadian billing address. That cc was fine for buying the device in a U.S. store, but when it came to buying books online, not so much.

I did indeed get it turned around. A (reloadable) prepaid card seems like it could indeed get the billing address in the right country. I know that some J-pop fans use something along those lines to buy J-pop on iTunes Japan.

Indeed, if the problem were just the device location and billing address in different countries, a proxy server in Canada would line them up, but I would not be surprised if getting them "in sync" north of the border would just generate a different error message.

Maybe as B&N rolls out in the UK, then if they roll out in, say, Australia and New Zealand, then South Africa ... perhaps eventually they'll stumble into Canada.

Reader 4
robyngoodfellow

I use a Canadian credit card but have a friend's US address listed as my default address. This works for me and does not require any kind of proxy.