Distinguished Correspondent
MDD73

Nook Comic Recommendations (or Not)

There seem to be several comic book readers on here.  With the 1.4 update coming there will be many new choices from a wider variety of publishers.  I thought it would be fun to have a thread where we could recommend some that we enjoy, and maybe warn people off of some that are not so great.

I'll start by recommending:

Atomic Robo Vol. 1 - The Fightin' Scientists of Tesladyne

by Brian Clevinger (writer) & Scott Wegener (artist)

Publisher: Red 5 Comics; provided for Nook by Graphicly

Atomic Robo was created by Nikola Tesla in 1923 and has been having "Action Science" adventures ever since.  This introductory volume (collecting all 6 issues of the first mini-series) follows Robo around time on several different adventures that see him facing off with a Nazi scientist, giant ants, a walking pyramid, and much, much more.  Atomic Robo is action packed and humorously written.  If you're like me and say, "Remember when comics were fun?" or "Remember when you didn't need to know hundreds of issues of continuity to understand a comic?", then Atomic Robo is probably for you.

Atomic Robo Vol. 1 can be read right now on both the NC and NT.  This is a comic "app" from Graphicly which allows you to utilize a guided view when reading, showing a panel or two or at a time.  You can also view the whole page and zoom in and out manually if you want.  The back-up stories are not included in the digital edition for some odd reason, but Atomic Robo is still, IMO, the most enjoyable comic being published today.

Correspondent
Yatta99
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Comic Recommendations (or Not)

It already shows as available though you still need to wait until 1.4 is out for the Nook Color:

Yotsuba

No Nook should be without this weird, energetic girl.

MDD73
0 Kudos

Owly Vol. 1 - The Way Home & The Bittersweet Summer

by Andy Runton

Publisher: Top Shelf; provided for Nook by Graphicly

Anyone with kids (or who just loves cute things) should check out Owly.  Even the youngest kids can practically read this book themselves as the stories are told primarily through pictures and symbols.  Owly proves you don't need dialogue to tell an engaging story.  I think everyone can enjoy Owly, regardless of age or language. 

Again, this is a comic "app" from Graphicly, and it can be read right now on both the NC and NT.

MDD73
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Star Trek (1967 Series) #1

Original publisher: Gold Key Comics; provided for Nook by Devil's Due Digital

This is more of a "not" recommendation.  This is the first ever Star Trek comic book, but it really doesn't feel very much like Trek.  It's more like they had an interesting sci-fi story and shoved the Star Trek characters into it because they were popular. 

This comic looks so-so.  The biggest issue is that the pages are awfully small, with no way to zoom in.  This makes it quite an effort to actually read.  The comic itself is ok, but the presentation is rather poor.  It is available right now for all Nook devices. 

MDD73
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Daredevil Battles Hitler (Daredevil Comics #1)

by Charles Biro, Jack Cole & Bob Davis

Original publisher: Lev Gleason; provided for Nook by FQ Comic Book Reprints

Daredevil Battles Hitler is a pretty historic comic.  When the publisher ended up with an oversupply of paper, the creative team worked around the clock and produced the entire 68-page issue over a weekend.  Released just a few months before the attack on Pearl Harbor the issue features the original Daredevil teaming up for the first time with the other characters of Gleason's Silver Streak Comics and taking on Hitler and the Axis of Evil.  Lots of Golden Age action in this comic.

Like the Star Trek issue above, this comic is scanned and cannot be zoomed.  However, the pages are much larger than the Star Trek issue, filling much more of the screen.  Some text boxes are still an effort, but it is overall a much easier reading experience.  This is also one of the cleanest scans of this public domain comic that I have seen.  If you enjoy Golden Age comics, I recommend checking this one out.  It is available for most Nook devices right now.

MDD73
0 Kudos

Atomic Robo Vol. 2 - The Dogs of War

by Brian Clevinger (writer) & Scott Wegner (artist)

If you enjoyed the first Atomic Robo volume, you should also check out this one.  You could even just jump into this volume.  While the first volume saw Robo's adventures at various points in time, this volume focuses on his exploits in World War II.  Focusing primarily on Robo's encounters with (real life) Nazi Colonel Otto Skorzeny and the Nazi Super Science Program, This is another extraordinarily enjoyable romp with you favorite Nazi Fighting Action Scientist Robot.  Action-packed, smart, funny, and - most of all - fun! 

Again, this is a graphic novel "app" provided by Graphicly, with that great guided view option.  The one downside, as with Vol. 1, is that the backup stories are not included.  Still, there is no other comic like Atomic Robo being done today.  Both volumes get my highest recommendation.  You can get Vol. 2 (and Vol. 1) now on your Nook Color or Nook Tablet.

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

Does anyone know, has FQ actually licensed the rights to distribute these scans?

I don't believe any of them fall in the public domain. The Marvel Family & Blue Beetle stuff should (I think) belong to DC/Warner, as they now own those characters. Star Trek probably needs some clearance through Paramount (and whoever may have picked up the comic book publishers rights).

Just because a publisher is no longer active doesn't mean their work falls into the public domain. Just because you own a copy of an old comic doesn't give you the right to scan and post it (for sale!) online.

Just wondered, because I saw these and they seemed dubious.

MDD73

[ Edited ]

From looking at the list of issues offered by FQ all of them appear to be in the public domain.  This is not simply because the publishers went out of business, but because the copyrights on the works were not renewed.  These were published when a copyright was only good for 28 years with an optional 28 year renewal.  Many publishers went out of business during the first 28 year period, thus many copyrights were not renewed.  The Golden Age Comics website does their due dilligence in determining the public domain status of a comic prior to posting it, and it seems that most (if not all) of the comics provided by FQ are also available from Golden Age Comics.  The Public Domain Super Heroes wiki is also a good place for PD comic book info.  Captain Marvel and Blue Beetle fall into an odd category where the characters themselves were sold to DC, but many of their original comics were still allowed to fall into public domain.

FQ is not offering the Star Trek issues.  The Star Trek comics are not PD.  Those Gold Key issues are licensed to Checker for reprint and to Devil's Due for digital distribution.

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

Thanks, MDD73!

That makes sense. Copyright is so convoluted, but I try my best not to support anyone who is stepping over that line. Good to know FQ is on the up & up.

MDD73
0 Kudos

Copyright is very confusing, especially for stuff published post-1923 but pre-1978, with all the registering and renewing that had to be done.  Of course, thanks to Disney, we pretty much never have to worry about anything becoming public domain ever again.  But that's a rant for another time and place.

MDD73
0 Kudos

Abyss Vol. 1

by Kevin Rubio (writer) & Lucas Marangon (artist)

Another fun outing from Red 5 Comics.  While not quite on the same level as Atomic Robo (IMO), Abyss is still an enjoyable read.  Abyss is the world's greatest super villain - and now he's dead.  Now his son is inheriting the estate, only he doesn't want to be a villain.  The universe is filled with colorful characters like villains Abyss and Scarf-Ace, and heroes like the Arrow, Shaafte and Quiver.  (I challenge you to read the Arrow and not hear Patrick Warburton.)

Another of those Graphicly graphic novel "apps" that I am quite fond of, this does have one spead where the guided view is a little off, but it's easy to figure out.  Available now on NC and NT.

MDD73
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Marvel Family #1

by Otto Binder & C.C. Beck

Original publisher: Fawcett Comics; provided for Nook by FQ Comic Book Reprints

This is a classic, fun Golden Age book featuring Captain Marvel - one of the biggest stars of the Golden Age - teaming up with his "family" - Captain Marvel Jr., Mary Marvel and Uncle Marvel - to take on Black Adam in the villain's first appearance.  Plus, since Golden Age books often included more than one story, the Marvel Family later takes care of an abandoned baby, and we also get a humorous tale of private eye Richard Richard. 

Historic for the introduction of Black Adam, this issue reads pretty good on the NC.  A good issue for readers interested in Golden Age comics.  At this time Captain Marvel was outselling Superman.  No zooming again, but the scans are large and clean enough that you shouldn't have much trouble reading the book, with the possible exception of the short text story.  Available on all Nook devices, but I've seen that the e-ink readers cut off some of the images and the words can be hard to read in grayscale.  It looks pretty nice on NC, however. 

MDD73
0 Kudos

Sherlock Holmes (1955 Series) #1

Original publisher: Charlton Comics; provided for Nook by FQ Comic Book Reprints

Another of FQ's nice looking scans.  This comic contains three all-new Sherlock Holmes stories, as well as a text piece and a comic story featuring "Ghost Breaker" Dr. Bill Neff.  The Holmes stories all take place in the U.S. and Dr. Watson is nowhere to be seen (that looks like, but is not him on the cover).  Holmes teams with various local law enforcement types to solve the three mysteries presented here.  The plots and resolutions are all pretty simplistic, hardly worthy of the great detective, likely having child readers in mind. 

Again, as with the previous FQ issues I've looked at, there is no zooming feature.  The scans are still clean and big enough that reading, outside of the text story, should not be an issue.  The book itself is not spectacular, but may be interesting for fans of the character as it represents one of his earliest forays into comics.

MDD73
0 Kudos

Sherlock Holmes (1955 series) #2

Original publisher: Charlton Comics; provided for Nook by FQ Comic Book Reprints

More of FQ's nice looking scans.  This comic again contains three all-new Sherlock Holmes stories, as well as a text piece and an additional comic story featuring Al Craddock.  The Holmes stories take place in the U.S. and Canada, and again Dr. Watson is noticably absent.  Holmes again teams with various local law enforcement types to solve the three mysteries presented here.  The plots and resolutions are again pretty simplistic, perhaps even more-so than the previous issue.  A possible exception is the final Holmes story, where the solution seems to come out of nowhere.

Quality-wise, this looks on par with the other books from FQ that I've talked about.  We'll see if the 1.4 update enhances these any.  Again, this is likely only for fans of the character as it is not very in-depth, story-wise.

SIGal67
0 Kudos

RHWright wrote:

Does anyone know, has FQ actually licensed the rights to distribute these scans?

I don't believe any of them fall in the public domain. The Marvel Family & Blue Beetle stuff should (I think) belong to DC/Warner, as they now own those characters. Star Trek probably needs some clearance through Paramount (and whoever may have picked up the comic book publishers rights).

Just because a publisher is no longer active doesn't mean their work falls into the public domain. Just because you own a copy of an old comic doesn't give you the right to scan and post it (for sale!) online.

Just wondered, because I saw these and they seemed dubious.

The Star Trek comics have been available on DVD for quite awhile now, and are also available via the Comixology app (runs fine on a rooted NC). Nothing dubious about it.

MDD73
0 Kudos

UPDATE:  For all the non-Graphicly comics I've talked about so far I've mentioned that the pages were on the small side (especially the Star Trek issue).  With the 1.4.1 software update you can now double-tap on any page and zoom in, making the smaller page size less of an issue.  This was a great surprise and a welcome improvement.

MDD73
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Comics: The Three Stooges

by Jaymes Reed (writer) & Apriyadi Kusbiantoro (artist)

Publisher: Bluewater Productions

I don't normally read Bluewater's comic biographies.  Not that I'm opposed to them or anything.  I just haven't found most of the subjects terribly interesting.  Well, when they announced subject of the third issue of their "Comics" series was the Three Stooges, I couldn't resist.  I've always loved the Three Stooges - all six of them.  This is not a slapstick adventure story, this is the true story of the 50+ year career of one the Hollywood's most beloved comedy teams.  Writer Jaymes Reed packs a lot of info into the 24 pages of this issue.  His history of the Stooges is well written and seems to have been very well researched.  The painted art of Apriyadi Kusbiantoro looks very nice also.  The only complaint about the material would be it's too short.

As far as the display on the Nook, the pages are very small and nearly impossible to read on the 1.3 software.  However, with the 1.4 update you can now zoom in making reading much easier.  I enjoyed it a great deal and may check out Reed's other issues - Comics: Lucille Ball and Comics: George Carlin - as a result.  If you want to learn about the history of the Stooges and have installed the 1.4 update, I'd recommend it.  It's available now for all Nook devices, but I can only safely recommend it for NC with 1.4 or Nook Tablet.

MDD73
0 Kudos

The Faith Series: Jesus Christ

by Don Smith (writer) & Jacob Bear (artist)

Publisher: Bluewater Productions

This is a brief but well done bio-comic on the ministry of Jesus.  The issue openly acknowledges that there is far more to the story than they could fit in the comic, but they do hit upon most of the key aspects of Jesus' life and teachings.  The manga-esque artwork is nice.  Like other epub comics I've looked at, the pages are initially small, but in this case the lettering is one of the most legible at that size.  Of course, with the 1.4.whatever software you can double-tap and zoom on each page.  There is a double page spread that gets cut in half and becomes a little confusing, but overall I would recommend this as an overview of Jesus' life. 

MDD73

Want some free (legal) comics to check out on your Nook? 

Saturday Morning Webtoons offers free all-ages comics in PDF format.  In addition to these one-per-month downloads, they also link to regular all-ages webcomics (updated every Saturday).  My kids and I have enjoyed all the downloadable comics so far.

Digital Comics Museum offers free downloads of public domain comics primarily from the 1930s-40s.  They work hard to make sure the comics offered are, in fact, public domain.  Most of their comics are in CBR format, so you will need to convert them to CBZ in order to read them on your 1.4.whatever NC or NT.

Contributor
Hooshe
0 Kudos

What a fantastic resource! Thank you!