Distinguished Correspondent
MDD73
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Comics

[ Edited ]

Catfanatic1979v1 wrote:

I just want to be able to yearly subscribe to Spiderman and instantly download the latest comic as it releases.

I don't know of any digital comic model that currently has that type of subscription plan.  However, given the Nook's magazine subscription plans, I think it would be a good idea for them to work out such a deal with comic books also.  The system is there, they just need to convince the publishers to provide the content.

EDIT: After posting this I see Graphicly (which currently produces comic "apps" for the Nook) is testing the comic subscription plan in the Apple Newsstand App.  Maybe they will attempt to bring it to the Nook as well.  Of course, their selection does not include Spider-Man, but it's a start.

Contributor
burlgirl
0 Kudos

I'm a DC fan.  I wish they would settle thier differences and and let us buy book from B&N!

Frequent Contributor
fenderbender
0 Kudos

Alex,

Is there any (if you can comment) hope of a comic reader app coming to the NC or NT or both?

FB

MDD73
0 Kudos

burlgirl wrote:

I'm a DC fan.  I wish they would settle thier differences and and let us buy book from B&N!

We should see DC on the Nook around March 2012.  Personally, I want to see the collections of older stuff from the big two, the Marvel Masterworks and DC Chronicles collections.  Other than that, give me more Atomic Robo.

Contributor
brianehayes
0 Kudos

I would personally love to see the Comixology app on the Nook Color.

Contributor
Gun_Shy
0 Kudos

I've been using the "Marvel Comics" App on my nook color sor a month or so. if it is the same thing it is very cool since i am the former owner of a comic book shop here in austin i was stoked to find that app.

MDD73
0 Kudos

Archie Comics announced today that their comics app will be available on Nook Tablet, with a link taking you to the iTunes store to download the app.  My guess is that would be their Comixology-type comic buying app, not their individual collection apps that are already available.  That would lead me to believe that more comic buying apps would be on the way.

MDD73
0 Kudos

Distinguished Wordsmith
MWorrell
0 Kudos

If this is the Marvel app (sans any DC books), or a proprietary Nook Color app, or anything other than the plain old Android-based Comixology app that I can use right now on my two-year-old $99 phone, this is an absurd waste of time for Barnes and Noble.

The Kindle Fire SHIPS with the Comixology app preloaded, and that app allows you to download nearly any comic released, from any publisher. That's what the Nook Color needs, or else they are not going to be able to compete.

vitaminbillwebb
0 Kudos

MWorrell wrote:

If this is the Marvel app (sans any DC books), or a proprietary Nook Color app, or anything other than the plain old Android-based Comixology app that I can use right now on my two-year-old $99 phone, this is an absurd waste of time for Barnes and Noble.

I agree that Comixology has some advantagest that I'm disappointed B&N are ignoring, but this doesn't seem like a waste of time to me. It looks like what they're doing--and I can't confirm this yet. Can anyone?--is adding .CBR/.CBZ support in 1.4, and then adding Marvel .CBR files in the NookStore. I know we get .CBR, but I'm not sure that the Marvel books are .CBR files and not some other format.

Regardless, if this is the case, it does a couple of things. First, it allows them to get the profits from comics sales on their machine without having to go through Comixology. That's not good for us, but I can see why B&N wants to do it. Second, it allows Marvel to make ebooks more easily and at a lower cost than for the Comixology/Graphicly model. That is, those platforms use the "guided view" technology to make their comics more readable/visually interesting. The .CBR reader on the NC apparently uses the pinch-to-zoom technology that the magazine reader already has. We have to zoom in and browse ourselves. That means Marvel/DC don't have to code their comics for the "guided view." It saves time for them and saves them money. Of course, we won't see that savings, but we might see that Marvel is able to get a lot more titles through the store a lot quicker than they can with Comixology. 

I would prefer Comixology. But .CBR support is not a bad consolation prize. It gives B&N an incentive to get us comics--because they and not Comixology will get the money--and it gives publishers an incentive for picking .CBR as a format--because it's quicker, cheaper, and easier for them. If that results in more comics more quickly, then all the better.

As for people wanting issues as they're released, I see the reasoning, but you're going to need to root for same-day releases. Comixology is better for individual issue reading anyway, and they provide same-day releases. At least, I know DC does. But for long-form reading, I think I actually prefer .CBR format. 

Just some thoughts...

VBW

SIGal67
0 Kudos

I've been reading comics on my NC for awhile. They are vintage ones that were converted to PDF form. They display beautifully and I really enjoy them!

MDD73
0 Kudos

SIGal67 wrote:

I've been reading comics on my NC for awhile. They are vintage ones that were converted to PDF form. They display beautifully and I really enjoy them!

Did you convert them to PDF yourself or did you find them that way?  I was looking for Golden Age PDFs (Nedor, Fox, Columbia, Gleason, etc), but everything I find is CBR.

MDD73
0 Kudos

Technically, there will be a DC book available when 1.4 and the tablet release.  Archie Comics is giving us World of Archie Double Digest #5, which is the complete collection of the highly acclaimed DC/Archie crossover of Tiny Titans and L'il Archie.  It's not "Watchmen," but it's a heck of a lot of fun.

World of Archie Double DIgest #5

MDD73
0 Kudos

Five more Marvel titles added - Ultimate Iron Man Volume 1Thor Volume 2Ultimates Volume 1: Super-HumanAstonishing X-Men Volume 2: Dangerous and Wonderful Wizard of Oz.  For anyone keeping track, that's 15 so far.  As of now, the Marvel stuff is all collections and between $7.19-$9.99.  Archie has dozens of individual issues available at $1.99 each.  Archie collections are "apps" through iVerse right now.  Still unsure how the Archie Comics app will work or if there will be any other comic buying apps at this time.

MDD73
0 Kudos

Yesterday, Top Shelf announced they are coming to Nook Color/Nook Tablet beginning this week.  They are home to great kids comics like Owly and Johnny Boo, as well as more mature stuff, like Alan Moore's "From Hell" and "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen."

And, since I've been trying to keep track, Marvel's offerings are up to 20 with the addition of X-Men: Messiah Complex, World War Hulk, Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 2, Wolverine: Old Man Logan and X-Force Vol. 1.

MDD73
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The new Nook Comics area of the website is open linking to a slew of new comics and graphic novels available for the Nook Tablet and, eventually, the NC after the 1.4 update.  IDW has released a bunch of Dr. Who, Transformers, Locke & Key and other stuff.  I'm particularly interested in The Rocketeer: The Complete Adventures.  Come on 1.4!

MDD73
0 Kudos

Picked up the first volume of Top Shelf's Owly today on my NC.  Owly is a great comic, especially if you have little ones.  The stories are told with pictures and symbols - no words.  Owly can be read by anyone, regardless of age or language.  Plus, Owly is just plain cute.  If you're looking for grim and gritty, graphic violence, half-dressed women, and that sort of stuff, Owly is not for you.  But if you like fun comics you can share with your kids, Owly is perfect.

On a side note, I know some people complain about apps that are actually just books, but I really like Graphicly's comic apps for the NC/NT.  I like the guided view and , while they cannot be read in the Nook app on my phone, they do sync with my Graphicly account, so I can still read them on whatever platform I'm using. 

MDD73
0 Kudos

With the new update now available, Marvel titles are up to 50.  Finally, some of the truly classic Marvel material is showing up with Marvel Masterworks Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 1 and Avengers Vol. 1, each collecting the first 10 issues of their respective series. 

Inspired Correspondent
zenaxe
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

FWIW, I think Marvel's digital strategy is complete mess. They have

Android App

Sony PSP App

Apple App

Nook App

Web Based PC eComics

As far as I know, none of these are compatible.

Worse yet, all of them are hopelessly overpriced relative to the price of physical issues which unlike most books, appreciate in value over time for physical copies. As a serious comics fan, I could almost stomach it if they were caompatible across my myriad digital devices like my movies, ebooks, and music digital content is, but with the incomtability across devices, it's just adding insult to injury. 

The only exception to the "overpriced" pricing model that is reasonable is the PC web based solution which for around ~$6/mo gives you access to their entire library of thousands upon thousands of comics. But is specifically locked out from mobile devices.

So, I subscribe to the PC web service and get along with CBZ/CBR for comics on all my other devices until these guys get it together and start charging sane prices and releasing multi-device compatible media.

MDD73
0 Kudos

I don't think the Marvel Nook books that I'm interested in are overpriced at all.  I'm only really interested in the classic material.  Those Spider-Man and Avengers Masterworks volumes and Secret Wars are high on my wish list, and they are $10-11.  To get those individual issues through Comixology (which, I believe is readable across platforms) they are $2 each, making them $20-24.  Plus, on my Nook, I won't need to be connected to the internet to read them.