Contributor
Evil_Overlord
0 Kudos

Nook Glow screen fragility

I had decided on a new Nook to replace my Kindle. However, discussions about screen flaws/fragility caused me some concern.

(http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Simple-Touch-General/Tiny-bright-spot-on-my-NST-Glow/m-p...

I've just tried a chat with B&N to learn whether there's been a fix. The chatter effectively hung up on me mid-chat. Does anyone have more info on this?  Below is the chat until he cut me off (and not for lack of activity).

You are now connected with Gavin Hopes from BN.com

Evil Overlord: Considering buying Nook

Gavin Hopes: Hi Evil, thanks for joining Barnes and Noble Digital Chat Support. My name is Gavin.

Evil Overlord: I had pretty much decided on a Nook Glow. Now, I'm reading more and more stories about fragile screens. I would plan to buy one and then travel a lot, so difficult returns. Have there been changes to the screen since it was introduced?

Evil Overlord: Or is there a free overseas return option?

Gavin Hopes: Yes, there were changes made on screen.

Evil Overlord: Can you tell me more about them, and where to learn more?

Evil Overlord: I'm not eager to buy something and face a complex return process.

Gavin Hopes: The issue had occured due to overcharging and pressing the screen very hardly.

Gavin Hopes: Now it is not happening even on overcharging.

Evil Overlord: What has been changed?

Gavin Hopes: The screen cpacity and glow light quality.

Evil Overlord: I'm sorry; I'm not being clear. Could you direct me to some more detailed technical information about what the changes were, and how they would prevent what seems to be a very common problem with screen 'tears'?

Evil Overlord: Separately, what would be the process for returning a defective Nook from overseas?

Gavin Hopes: Factory reset would resolve the problem; if it occurs. We do not ship replacements outside U.S.

Evil Overlord: Gavin - earlier Nook Glows had a problem with screen 'tears'. This was a physical problem not solved by a reset. You've assured me that the problem has been fixed. I'm asking you for more information about the fix.

Evil Overlord: So far, you have not provided it. Without more, I'll buy a Kindle.

Chat session has been closed due to inactivity.

You are now connected with Gavin Hopes from BN.com

Evil Overlord: Considering buying Nook

Gavin Hopes: Hi Evil, thanks for joining Barnes and Noble Digital Chat Support. My name is Gavin.

Evil Overlord: I had pretty much decided on a Nook Glow. Now, I'm reading more and more stories about fragile screens. I would plan to buy one and then travel a lot, so difficult returns. Have there been changes to the screen since it was introduced?

Evil Overlord: Or is there a free overseas return option?

Gavin Hopes: Yes, there were changes made on screen.

Evil Overlord: Can you tell me more about them, and where to learn more?

Evil Overlord: I'm not eager to buy something and face a complex return process.

Gavin Hopes: The issue had occured due to overcharging and pressing the screen very hardly.

Gavin Hopes: Now it is not happening even on overcharging.

Evil Overlord: What has been changed?

Gavin Hopes: The screen cpacity and glow light quality.

Evil Overlord: I'm sorry; I'm not being clear. Could you direct me to some more detailed technical information about what the changes were, and how they would prevent what seems to be a very common problem with screen 'tears'?

Evil Overlord: Separately, what would be the process for returning a defective Nook from overseas?

Gavin Hopes: Factory reset would resolve the problem; if it occurs. We do not ship replacements outside U.S.

Evil Overlord: Gavin - earlier Nook Glows had a problem with screen 'tears'. This was a physical problem not solved by a reset. You've assured me that the problem has been fixed. I'm asking you for more information about the fix.

Evil Overlord: So far, you have not provided it. Without more, I'll buy a Kindle.

The chat session has timed out and is now closed.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Glow screen fragility

Well I work at a retail Barnes and Noble and I'm often the one at our Nook desk. I've seen one NSTG with that issue since we released it. I own a. NSTG and have not seen the tearing issue on that one. I can't point you to tech specs regarding the changes, and I doubt they would be available to the public anyway. However I suspect that it was an issue in the manufacturing process. When we first released the NSTG the demand was higher than the supply and manufacturing them took longer than expected. I think that process got rushed and as a result we saw the tearing issue. Please note that is speculation. However I can say you should be safe from the issue now.
The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
New User
dbaxCA
0 Kudos

Hi Mercury, and I like the last part - Glitch.  well Glitch, I bought one of these neat little devices for my wife, she love it -- then a glitch appreared, and it look like a small tear in the screen behind the top screen.  Same problem I read others are having.  In fact, three different women have written in saying they are on their third replacment -- ouch -- if that happens with me my wife will not be happy, and then I will not be happy and they someone at B & N will not be happy and around and around it goes.  It seems these companies have decided it is cheaper to use the customer as a Beta Tester -- is the mark up really that high?  I called and the little gal at the Book Desk told me to bring my Glow in and she would exchange it for me.  Hum, exchange it?  I too wonder if they are going to fix or have fixed this problem?  Peace, I pray, for all those feeling like they may have been had.  Dan

Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Spreading misery rarely proves to be a fruitful path. 

I suspect you'll get the exchange of the defective NSTG for a working NSTG refurb.  That's how the warranty works.  Which should have been explained when you purchased the NSTG.

If the issue keeps arising I'd suspect you'll be able to get a new device, if you ask nicely rather than, to paraphrase from yourself 'make someone at B&N unhappy". 

Please do remember, the people in the store are not the ones manufacturing the device, they also aren't the ones making the policies or warranties. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Correspondent
flfarber

I have had an NTSG for about six months with no issue at all until I mistakenly threw my glasses onto the screen and they landed just righ and tore the glow screen. You can;t see it all when the glow is off. I use it all the time and the bright spot is so distracting I just went out and bought a new one the next day. The screen on the new one is seems to be significantly better than the one on my original. The contrast is higher without the glow and is reasable in lower light conditions and the glow is more even throughout the screen.

All of this is a long way of saying you should not worry about the tear unless you mistreat the screen and the new ones are better from the get-go than older ones.

Finally, get a case and don;t be lazy about using it.

Hope that helps.

Fred

Correspondent
Strayer
0 Kudos

Don't rest your glasses on the bezel. I drained the battery doing that. It is really a sensitive little device.
Got mine in Nov. Screen is fine. I am careful with it.
Contributor
aikiboy
0 Kudos

I just got a replacement for my ST.  Wanted to get the glow but when I asked the tech about it I was told that the screen problem was a known issue and that B&N had said they would have it fixed 2 months ago but have not done so.  Personally, I wouldn't trust them until the company admits to the problem publicly and says they have fixed it.

Correspondent
FulltimeRVer
0 Kudos

flfarber wrote:

I have had an NTSG for about six months with no issue at all until I mistakenly threw my glasses onto the screen and they landed just righ and tore the glow screen. You can;t see it all when the glow is off. I use it all the time and the bright spot is so distracting I just went out and bought a new one the next day. The screen on the new one is seems to be significantly better than the one on my original. The contrast is higher without the glow and is reasable in lower light conditions and the glow is more even throughout the screen.

All of this is a long way of saying you should not worry about the tear unless you mistreat the screen and the new ones are better from the get-go than older ones.

Finally, get a case and don;t be lazy about using it.

Hope that helps.

Fred

I haven't mistreated the three NSTGs that I have had, all of which developed the "tears" in the screen, letting bright light through.

Dave