Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Re: Nook HD A Significant Step Back From Nook Tablet

"Unless B&N was supposed to have glued it into place and some units were shipped before the glue dried, I think they'll do it."

This is what Asus did with the Nexus 7, so it does happen.

Correspondent
cybersmoke53
0 Kudos

I too have a magic Nook Color. My Nook Color shows the # of pages left in a chapter too.

As for Publisher Default, on My Nook Color when the publisher default  is ON the change font size option IS NOT DISABLED or GRAYED OUT like it is on my new NOOK HD+.  On Most books with Publisher defaults ON - YOU CAN CHANGE THE FONT SIZE while reading a book. You can't change the font or the margins or the justification but you can make the text size bigger! 

I have encountered some epubs that do not change the font size when you have the publisher defaults turned on, but I always thought that was a problem with the font definitions within the epub book itself and not the software.

I hope the ability to change font size with the Publisher Defaults turned on will return.  Another issue is that the new Nook HD+ can not show the table of contents for some epubs I have that have one. The Nook color will have a table of contents but the Nook HD+ won't show it. So the reader software has some issues with some epubs.  I haven't tried a lot of PDF's as I use the ezPdf viewer mostly.

Distinguished Correspondent
HumbleCorrespondent
0 Kudos

cybersmoke53 wrote:

I too have a magic Nook Color. My Nook Color shows the # of pages left in a chapter too.

As for Publisher Default, on My Nook Color when the publisher default  is ON the change font size option IS NOT DISABLED or GRAYED OUT like it is on my new NOOK HD+.  On Most books with Publisher defaults ON - YOU CAN CHANGE THE FONT SIZE while reading a book. You can't change the font or the margins or the justification but you can make the text size bigger! 

I have encountered some epubs that do not change the font size when you have the publisher defaults turned on, but I always thought that was a problem with the font definitions within the epub book itself and not the software.

I hope the ability to change font size with the Publisher Defaults turned on will return.  Another issue is that the new Nook HD+ can not show the table of contents for some epubs I have that have one. The Nook color will have a table of contents but the Nook HD+ won't show it. So the reader software has some issues with some epubs.  I haven't tried a lot of PDF's as I use the ezPdf viewer mostly.

The way way this originally worked on the NC, is that if you turned off publisher defaults, nothnig changed in the formatting. You simply could change things like font size, spacing etc. However, after one of the firmware updates (I don't remember which one), if you turn off publisher defaults, the formatting of the text can actually change. For instance I have a book where in the paper version, they used side notes to title sections of text. In the e-pub, with publisher defaults on, these notes are separate paragraphs in italics and gray hi-lighted. If I turn publisher defaults off, these notes become in-line with the regular text with nothing to off-set them. It becomes very confusing. Whether by design or not, that is silly. I do not want to lose special formatting, just change the font size.

That's just my opinion, you can take it for what it's worth, or just leave it alone.
Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

Unrelated to glue and to fonts, I have to heartily second the "geeze, what's up with the SD card?" comment.  

I have an HD+ and I also often experienced SD card problems that spill over into hesitation that affects the entire OS.  

It makes me glad I bought the 32 gig unit;  either the card reader or the software are badly borked and slow the entire unit down regularly 

I hope this is a software problem which will be fixed.  LIke the OP, I find that what's reported by the HD+ as on the SD card is variable and inconsistent.  

I had expected that the SD card slot would be important to me (it has been on the NT and NC) but fortunately it is not, yet.  

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Bibliophile
5ivedom

roustabout, they changed how the SD Card is accessed i.e. what software calls are needed to access it.

So that might be what is causing the confusions and bugs.

If so, then it's a software fix and not a very hard one.

The far less likely possibility is some problem with the SD Card slot physically. That I don't know whether it can be fixed. However, I think it's very unlikely. That would have led to SD Cards not working at all and haven't heard that from anyone.

It seems like a software issue to me.

Frequent Contributor
LoganK
0 Kudos

5ivedom wrote:

The far less likely possibility is some problem with the SD Card slot physically. That I don't know whether it can be fixed. However, I think it's very unlikely. That would have led to SD Cards not working at all and haven't heard that from anyone.

I have not experienced any problems with the physical slot, and I have never lost the ability to access files on the card. (It's also much easier to insert cards on the Nook HD than the Nook Color/Tablet.)

For me, it is purely a software issue, and most of the problems are with the B&N software (possibly because I don't have many third-party applications installed).

Bibliophile
5ivedom

LoganK, to be quite frank, it seems more and more to me that B&N really pushed their timelines and ended up shipping a software that was V1 when it should have been a V3 (ideally) or at least a V2.

The good thing is that when they get to V3 (hopefully by year end or January 2013) it'll be very stable.

The bad thing is that reviewers and early adopters get the impression the Nook HD+ is not as good as it is.

The common thread in reviews for Nook HD+ (the fair ones) is that -

1) Nook HD and HD+ screens are amazing.

2) Features like Profiles are good.

3) Weight and thinness etc. are good.

4) UI is not ready for prime time.

5) Library of Apps and Movies is not ready for prime time.

Point #5 will take time to fix. However, #4 could be fixed by B&N doing 2-3 more iterations of the software before launch. Of course, it's easy to write that and very hard to actually do it in practice.

Contributor
ibelieve1968

I just looked at my Nook Tablet and when reading a book in does show how many pages are left in the chpater.  I miss that from my Nook HD

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,253
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

ibelieve1968 wrote:

I just looked at my Nook Tablet and when reading a book in does show how many pages are left in the chapter.  I miss that from my Nook HD.

Hmm, the recent update (v1.2.0) to the Nook Touch/Glow apparently removed that feature as well, so probably that is B&N direction for the future.  History:

• When B&N released v1.7.0 for the Nook 1stEdition, it became apparent that it was a "clean-up" update, and that probably no further updates would be forthcoming.
  • Now B&N has released v1.2.0 for the Nook Touch/Glow, which is kind of a "clean-up" update as well (combining the Touch & Glow updates into one image).  I suspect we've seen the last Nook Touch/Glow update.
  • Thus, I suspect we will see just one more Nook Tablet (and perhaps the Color) update, probably labeled v1.5.0.  At that point I suspect you will lose the "pages left" feature in the Nook Tablet.
Nooks: 2 HD+/16GB, 2 HD/8GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted; Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted
    2 Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Bibliophile
bklvr896

keriflur wrote:

I have not checked the HD user guide, but the NST user guide is pretty specific on this, stating that when pub default is selected you cannot make any changes to the text options.  They also list font size as something that the pub may specify.

My assumption is this - if you set the font size and then select pub defaults, and the publisher has NOT specified a font size, the nook will use the size you selected.  If the pub has specified a size, the font will revert to that size.  Same for all of the other text options.  But I've not tested this on any of the nooks.

The HD user guide states:  "If you turn on Publisher Defaults, thepage displays using the settings recommended by the publisher.  All other page controls in the dialog box appear grayed out".  It seems to work that way on the NST also.

I would never have thought to try and change anything if I set it to use publisher defaults. 

New User
cginky
0 Kudos

My Nook Simple Touch currently has version 1.1.2 and the pages remaining for the chapter is missing; I do hope B&N includes the feature in a future update for the HD because I have grown very fond of it on the Tablet.