New User
Vampire_LoverKF
0 Kudos

Nook HD Problems

The files on my Nook HD are not showing up on my computer when I hook it up.  I see "My Files", but only two folders out of 8 show up (i.e. Documents & Magazines). B&N customer support said create new folders under "MY Documents".  Duh! I have 138 books (epub) in my "Books" folder that aren't appearing on my computer (but thank God show up on my Nook). Does anyone know how I can get the missing folders to appear under "My Computer".  I did reboot both computer and nook and even tried a different computer and had the same issue.

Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

Re: Nook HD Problems

If those books are B&N shop items, downloaded by the Nook, you won't see them on the file system via USB (unlike the first edition where the books can be moved from the device).
Baron Wulfraed
Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

Why do you want them to appear to your computer?

If you want access to them on your computer, download the PC/Mac app (as the case may be), register it to your account, and then download the files to your PC as you wish.

New User
Vampire_LoverKF
0 Kudos

So that I can see the 138 side loaded books that I have on my Nook.  They show up there but the sub-folder for "Books" where all these books are stored (under "My Files") is not showing up.  I want it to show on my computer so I can add more of my own EPUB files.

New User
Vampire_LoverKF
0 Kudos

The files were originally there along with a movie I side loaded that's in the "Video" sub-folder.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Vampire_Lover,

This is a problem we're running into with our HD and HD+s too - files downloaded to custom folders (you add yourself) stop showing up sometimes.

The following worked -

1) Restarting PC and Nook.

2) Plugging in and plugging out without restarting.

My recommendation would be that if this doesn't work then just create a new folder everytime you have to add new books. And that if you have an SD Card then remove it for a while and see if that fixes the issue.

I know of one other solution. Unfortunately it's not straightforward.

1st) Download the Android SDK - http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

2nd) Go to the 'tools' folder. It'll usually be something like

F:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\tools

OR

F:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\tools

3rd) Run ddms. Please plug in Nook before this step.

4th) In DDMS, tap on the barnesandnoble-nbnrv named item. Then Device on top right and File Explorer in Device Menu.

5th) Go to /mnt/media and /mnt/sdcard and see which of these has the folder in which you had books.

Figure out what directory there is.

6th)  Open command prompt and go to your Android > platform tools directory. Something like: F:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools\

Type in 'adb' there to see list of commands (or read article at link below).

7th) Use adb to transfer files - http://android-dls.com/wiki/index.php?title=ADB

New User
Vampire_LoverKF
0 Kudos

Okay, the folder "My Files" contains the following folders "Books", "Documents", Magazines", "Music", "Newspapers", "Nook Kids Recordings", "Pictures", and "Videos".  Books, Pictures and Videos all have files in them.  All these folders are being listed on the Nook when I uncollapse the folder "My Files".  The pictures show up in the "Gallery" and the Video show up under movies in the "Library" along with my book titles.  No files are on a "scan disk". When I hook up my Nook to my PC (Dell), go to "Computer" and see the BTNV400 and folders, I see "MY Files", but only "Documents and "Newspapers" at first.  I have tried rebooting my computer and turned on and off the Nook.  When I did a soft boot on the Nook and then plugged it in to the PC, I got "Magazines" added to the list.  When I contacted B&N tech support, he recommended I add my files to the "Documents" folder.  I did test that and yes, my files show up.  The issue is will I have to do this for every type file I want to side load.  Will the "Gallery" recognize JPEG files? Will my videos run?

Maybe I'll just take the damn thing back!~

Any way I can do a "restore to factory specs"?

Maybe I'll try your "Android download suggestion first.... 

Wordsmith
JinSC

[ Edited ]

Whoaa...take a deep breath.

1.  You cannot see your B&N books because they are DRM protected.  In other words, B&N doesn't want you so sideload them from your HD to, say, your friends computer.  Therefore, the only way to manage those files is archiving them on the HD or in the Nook for PC app, or in your My Nook on the BN website.  In reality, you don't actually buy books from B&N, you buy the right to download and read them on certain devices and in certain apps, but B&N retains a certain amount of control.  The same is true for the Kindle.  In other words, all books, apps, etc that you download will have not be visible to you and controllable by you through explorer or other file management systems.

2.ebup books you own you can sideload and place in folders as you wish.  The same is true for docs, pics, and vids.  And yes, if they are in the proper format, the HD will see them.  proper formats:

• Audio: MP4, M4A, 3GP, AAC, MP3, FLAC, WAV, OGG, AMR
  • Video: MP4, 3GP, WEBM
  • Gallery pictures: JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP
  • Reader/Other: PDF, ePUB, DRP, ePIB, FOLIO, OFIP, CBZ, TXT, RTF, XLS, DOC, PPT, PPS, PPSX, DOCX, XLSX, PPTX, LOG, CSV, EML, ZIP

see:  http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/nook-hd-barnes-noble/1110060426

3.  apparently there are some  issues with USB connectivity (MTP or PTP) with bilateral communication.  In other words, you may transfer files to HD using the proper procedure, but the HD may noy be able to communicate back to the PC that is has them until the HD is disconnected and reconnected and/or the PC is rebooted.    Don't know why, that's just the way it is.   yes, it is a pain, but that doesn't make the HD a bad device.  I think the problem is actually with Windows 7.  EDIT :  Try changing from MTP to PTP.  I think this will solve your problem.

4.  The best way to get movies to work is to rip them from dvds using dvdcatalyst.  see:

http://www.tools4movies.com/.  The cost is $9.95 and the app for the HD is $1.99 but if you like movies on your HD then this is money well spent.  They have the best customer service you will ever see.

5.  Yes, to reset go to Settings>Device Info>Erase&Deregister device.  This will wipe your HD and start you all over....

Peace,

Jeremy

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Yes, anything you add to Nook drive will get recognized. You will have to go into 'My Files' to navigate to it if you want to load it directly.

However, Gallery does recognize ALL images in all folders. Don't know about Videos Apps.

For This:

The issue is will I have to do this for every type file I want to side load.  Will the "Gallery" recognize JPEG files? Will my videos run?

New User
Vampire_LoverKF

Okay everyone. Here's the latest on this problem.  I took my HD Nook into the B&N store and Josh the Main Tech guy and I got together.  My missing sub folders (that I've already listed) are not viewable in either Vista (my PC), Windows 98XP, Windows 7 or Windows 8.  Josh contacted the technical support directly from the store and the only conclusions were that the HD movie that I downloaded to the Nook (purchased from B&N online) may have effected the viewable file structure even though my Nook only showed 35% used.  Even though we moved the movie to the cloud, that still didn't help.  The only other thing they think may be some software issue on the Nook.  Anyway, I decided to exchange the Nook and get another.  Hopefully, it was only that particular machine and will not occur again.  I love this product and want to be able to utilize it in all this many ways!  Thank you everyone for responding.  If this happens again, then B&N will have to find a patch, I guess.