Bibliophile
5ivedom

Nook HD & Nook HD+ Questions & Answers Thread - Unofficial Official Thread

Let's make this the unofficial official thread.

Nook HD and HD+ owners - Any insights to share? Share them here.

Prospective Nook HD and HD+ owners - Ask Questions here.

Nook HD and HD+ owners whose Nooks haven't arrived - Share your feelings and excitement here.

I have a Nook HD+ and can answer questions on that.

Inspired Contributor
gogirlEH

Re: Nook HD & Nook HD+ Questions & Answers Thread - Unofficial Official Thread

Hd+wow..the screen is beautiful..was going to get the 7 inch but the hd+ really is a nice size so went with that. So easy to get the movies and crackle works great. I am in love.
Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

Since I am back ordered I am counting on you guinea pigs to have everything sorted out by the time I get mine. Lol
Contributor
raeni20
0 Kudos

My question would be:

Is the web browsing on the HD as sluggish and laggy as reviews say? Or did they fix it with the software update?

Thanks to any who respond...

Frequent Contributor
Nookie61
0 Kudos

"Nook HD and HD+ owners whose Nooks haven't arrived - Share your feelings and excitement here."

I was very excited yesterday when I was an HD owner whose HD was supposed to be in the mail at any minute and was going to have it in my hand for my birthday and was going to surprise my sister by giving her my Nook Tablet. Today I am a very disappointed and about to be a cancelled HD owner who is extremely unhappy to receive a cheerful email telling me that they sold so many HDs that they apparently forgot to put one aside for me when I pre-ordered it a month ago but I might get lucky and get one in another month. They didn't even thank me for being a loyal customer like they did last month after I placed my order and then had a question about it. Just told me that if I want to I can cancel the order.
Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

To all,
Please put your gripes and questions about shipping on the HD Shipping thread; this one should be reserved for questions related to use of the HD/HD+.

To Raeni - I found the browser to be really fast. Scrolling in your library is slower, and the screen is less sensitive to accidental touches.
Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Contributor
raeni20
0 Kudos

Thanks laurieb! Great to hear. I was getting worried after reading all the reviews complaining of buggy software.
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Raeni20, on Nook HD+ too the browsing is very good. Very fast and the browser is much improved with Tabs shown on the screen itself like you have in IE and Firefox etc on a PC.

Also, for anyone interested Nook HD+ browsing was faster than Tablet.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Nookie61, I had three separate orders (ordered for my team too).

One of them had both devices delayed. Now it says November 12th. I understand your frustration. I'm hoping the other two orders arrive. We really need them to work on apps.

What we're trying to do is buy instore. However, we checked in El Paso where one of my team members is on vacation (I'm in Montreal so no B&N here) and both stores didn't have anything except 32 GB Nook HD+ yesterday and today both are out of stock.

I think B&N was taken by surprise by the demand and/or Hurricane Sandy blew a hole in their shipping plans.

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

Where is My Media (my pictures)

I found Woven, but it downloaded every single pic from my computer, and I can't figure out how to delete a pic.

Correspondent
LadyTessie
0 Kudos

Do the HDs allow for that swype thingy on the virtual keyboard? Or is there an app for that which I haven't found? I'd love this.

Thanks.

Terry

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

Doreen - it's called gallery. Preloaded, only the avatars are present but I was able to sideload some photos.

Contributor
th0ughts
0 Kudos

Unfortunately not.  At least not now it doesn't. 

I like Swype technology myself.  I hope they pick up this feature.

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

Laurie, I noticed that the Gallery had nothing but Avatars. I guess I need to play around in settings. Thx

Contributor
bgf39
0 Kudos

I have a couple of questions they couldn't answer at my B&N store:

1.  Side-loading documents into the Nook HD+.  In addition to a large number of epub books I've gotten from other sites, I have numerous Word, Excell and PowerPoint documents I would want to load on an HD+.  Can this be done wirelessly (via wifi) through my home network or must it be done by (USB) cable attached to my PC (like with my original 3-year old Nook I still use)?  While it would not bother me to side-load these documents, it would be much nicer if I could do it from my Nook HD+ without having to connect it to the PC.

2.  Transferring documents between Nook HD+ and PC or external HD on wireless network.  This goes a step beyond the previous question.  While side-loading documents onto a Nook is akin to a "push-type" operation where you put it into the documents file on the Nook from the PC.  Is it possible to transfer documents between the Nook HD+ and a PC or wifi-connected external HD from the Nook?  That would enable one to employ a HD that is connected to a home wireless network as a storage device to be used by the Nook HD+ directly ... sort of like a personal "in-house cloud."

3.  Bluetooth connectivity.  What can one link to a Nook HD/HD+ via Bluetooth?  The first thing most people think of is connecting an external keyboard or mouse and that would probably be one of the first accessories I'd get (after getting an Oberon Design cover).  Down the road, however, some may think of other ways of expanding the capabilities of their Nook HD/HD+, like linking it to a smart phone in order to use the 3G/4G connectivity for the Internet, et al.  Would we some day be able to connect to TVs, headphones, your smart home, your car?  Bluetooth has many innovative directions available to it and it would be nice to be able to make the Nook HD/HD+ a part of that.

PC Magazine had an article about a very important niche that B&N can fill with the Nook: self-publishing.  It would be nice for B&N to do more in that area.

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

@bg,
you should be able to laod documents from your pc wirelessly with the app Splashtop - I know I can with the Nook Tablet.

An HDMI adapter will shortly be available to connect the HD to your TV for watching movies.
Bibliophile
5ivedom

bgf,

I was able to pair my Nook HD+ with my PC via Bluetooth. Now I'm trying to set up the driver for it. It shows up as 'My Nook'. I think once I get drivers installed I'll be able to transfer files via Bluetooth.

Also what laurieb52 said - Using Splashtop or another app you should be able to do wireless transfers. So your points 1 and 2 should be covered.

I downloaded the trial but they say you have to download some software to every Pc you want available on your Nook. So I'm reluctant to do that. But it should work. It's got good reviews. It's $4.99 and it has a trial available.

If I can get the bluetooth driver working I'll add an update.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,924

Step 1: Install Dropbox on your PC.

Step 2: Download the Dropbox app on EVERY DEVICE IN EXISTENCE.

Step 3: Begin world domination.

Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin
0 Kudos

I find it to be faster than on my laptop--I have the HD+.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,924
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I just tested it, and (assuming your computer supports it) you can send files via Bluetooth from a desktop to the NOOK HD Series devices.