Frequent Contributor
CNUcrazy09
0 Kudos

Re: Nook HD & Nook HD+ Questions & Answers Thread - Unofficial Official Thread

Does anyone know how to get adobe digital editions, like advance reader arc ebooks, on your NOOK HD +? I have loaded them onto my NOOK Tablet before and when I connect my NOOK Tablet with my USB cord to my desktop the computer auto recognizes it and shows it in Adobe Digital Editions Software. Unfortunately it is not showing my new NOOK HD +. Any suggestions?
Bibliophile
laurieb52

CNU,
Go into settings,account settings,adobe reader. It looks like on this version, you authorize directly on the tablet.
Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Frequent Contributor
MarshaInSC

Love the screen resolution on the Nook HD+.  Browsing is fast.  Will try side loading and dropbox later.

One Gripe:  I cannot set the font size on the Twitter app.  I can do this on my Nook Tablet, but the Settings option is not available on the HD+. And I REALLY need the LARGER FONTS on the Twitter app!!! Guess I'll use the browser until that is set up for the HD+.

The HD+ has a slightly different interface, which takes some getting used to.  Things I could easily do on my Nook Tablet are taking forever to find on the Nook HD+.  The Users Guide is OK, but I don't have some of the settings it says I should have (widgets, home page settings, etc.).

I also don't like that the "quick settings" don't show the battery life.  In fact I have yet to find a graphical battery life indicator.

I was told I could watch my UltraViolet movies on this device, but I have been unable to set it up.  And it is in the Settings, not an app.  Strange...

It appears that B&N has gone out of their way to hide the Android underneath.  Personally I think a little more Android functionality would help ease the transition from Nook Tablet (which used some Android menus and features on apps) to the Nook HD+.

Still I don't regret the purchase...yet.  Time will tell if I adjust and if B&N makes improvements, which I'm sure they will.

BTW, does anyone know if B&N has a "suggestion box" for the HD nooks?

Frequent Contributor
MarshaInSC
0 Kudos

OK, I did find the battery graph. It is underAll Settings l Device Information. And the Home settings are listed under the Applications section. Still no luck in accessing the settings for the Twitter app and still no widgets. I did use Dropbox to get a book from my pc to the Nook HD+. I'm just not sure where it is saving the files. Dropbox thinks it is saving to the SD card. On my Nook Tablet it always saved to the internal Nook storage even though it said it was saving to the SD catd. I haven't found a way to see what is on my SD card or in the internal storage -- no "file manager" that I can see.
Contributor
skipped
0 Kudos

and what about sideloading?

Frequent Contributor
RobertCNJ
0 Kudos

I'll second the question about sideloading. I was told you can add apps without rooting but you need Android SDK or something like that. It involes an SD card as well I believe.

Sorry to jump the gun but I don't think it would be anything different then what had to be done on earlier editions of the Nook to sideload so many folks may be quite familiar with that.

A link would be helpful for instructions to the procedure if available. And is it hard to do?

Thanks much. I want the 7" Nook HD when it is available by the way.

Contributor
skipped
0 Kudos

Contributor
skipped
0 Kudos

And here is a very good guide, explains you how to install sdk (for adb) and the adb drivers.. (omit all the nexus steps)
Contributor
skipped
0 Kudos

Inspired Contributor
gogirlEH
0 Kudos

Has anyone been able to get overdrive to work. It just shows the book in overdrive but cant get it to open to read it. I got it to download book but it wont open it. Had no problem on tablet. Could it be that i havent deregristered my tablet yet.
Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

Have you authorized ADE on the new HD yet?  Someone said you do it on the device itself (don't need to connect to a computer to do it.)

Inspired Contributor
gogirlEH
0 Kudos

Yes did that..shows book is there but doesnt open it do i need an sd card
Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I picked up an HD+ last night and may or may not keep it -- I have a love/hate thing happening wiht the larger tablets;  I have an Asus Transformer that I almost never use, but a lot of that is down to the abysmal screen quality, relative to the Nook devices.  At 300, the HD+ is well within my toy budget and can be gifted in six weeks if I like. 

What will really make it go back, though, is that as of now the new yorker refuses to download to it.  If BN and Conde Nast can't fix that, it's a deal breaker - not just for me but for the person I'd most like to give it to.  I know it's early days yet, but that needs to be fised. 

I don't know if sideloading is confirmed yet.  If you run out and get an HD or HD+ today, be aware that an HD+, even if unregistered, will pull in a "critical update" and apply it once you enable wireless.  I'm at my girlfriend's house just now, which means my android resources are somewhat limited.  My first question was whether or not the registration step could be skipped;  it can be. 

If you're having trouble registering, and want to play with your toy, google for "nook color skip OOBE" to see how to bypass registration - the steps are the same. 

I'm sorry that I wasn't able to get ADB to talk to the device, because  I  no longer have access to the shipped OS - the NT, if I remember correctly, updated the recovery as well as the OS and it looks as if this is true of the HD+ as well. 

Overall, it's a fun device even unrooted.  The sound is a bit better than on the NT but I've long since been using Bluetooth speakers, so that's not an issue.  The screen is very nice, though the brightest setting is not terribly bright - this won't be a device for using in a car during the daytime (as an inexpensive nav panel or kid entertainment)

I'm finding that BN has done some very weird things - the browser settings are not accessible from the browser.  You have to go into all settings.. application settings .. browser settings to get to them. 

The universal "swipe to go backwards" doesn't seem present any longer, and I think that's too bad.  On the up side, the device can be rotated usably through a full 360 degrees in most apps (Flipboard being one exception, parts of the shop being another) which is very, very nice - and is probably why the 'go back' stuff is no longer universally available. 

Reading is, as I expected, excellent.  I do wish that I had a way to leave the clock displayed while I read.  Most epub readers offer that option, and with this much screen space, to not have it just seems silly. 

I'll be picking up an artists' sketchbook today to make a cover - an 8/5 x 11 sketchbook is going to work very well, and I have may of the bits I need already.  This will also let me easel it well. 

Netflix is very, very nice on this device.  I haven't looked at locally stored audio and video yet. 

One very interesting thin about the MTP interface:  as I was trying to get ADB running, I connected it to a virtual machine running Windows XP.  The VM didn't have all the drivers it needed and I wound up with a partition on the device presenting itself as mass storage, which I thought was very interesting.  The mass storage partition contained the Mac OS X disk image you need to use to work with your library, and may well have been mounted read-only. 

But it implies that there is a way to coax more of the device to bypass the media transfer protocol, at least in some operating systems. 

Still and all - this is a well-done device.  The display is great, the weight is pretty good and having bluetooth support up and running means that it's as useful with many accessories as most other tablets are. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

@ roustabout,

You noted Netflix on your HD+ was great; I'm finding it just the opposite on ours. The picture is grainy and sluggish, and half the time I can't even scroll thrugh the movie selection, as the app seems to lock up, while Netflix on the NT is much better.

B&N also did away with the ability  to directly shelve a book from a search, which makes shelving much more cumbersome. And of course an"unshelved" sort has still not been added.  

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
roustabout
0 Kudos

Interesting - the netflix I'm watching is coming in over a 2mbps DSL connection.

Netflix throttles itself if it realizes it's short on bandwidth.  I wonder if what's happening is that I'm seeing netflix looking good because the app itself is sensing low bandwidth and is not trying to bring in full HD content, where your device has more bandwidth, and paradoxically does worse, because netflix is trying for full HD?

I'm now up to 4 systems that can't talk to the device over ADB - so I'm unable to even pull debug logs on things like the New Yorker download failing.

I have one last system to try over at my house, an XP install with some of the 'clean your USB cruft" utilities available. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

roustabout wrote:

I'm now up to 4 systems that can't talk to the device over ADB - so I'm unable to even pull debug logs on things like the New Yorker download failing.

If you take a look at the magazine details on the B&N website, you will see that the New Yorker is not available for the new HD tablets yet.

Contributor
Beangrape
0 Kudos

I noticed on the B&N website that for the New Yorker and Wired magazine they do not list Nook HD/HD+ as a supported device.

Other "enhanced" magazines: Entertainment Weekly, Fortune are listed as being supported by Nook HD/HD+.

I remember that for the New Yorker and Wired magazines you needed to have version 1.4 or higher because it is a different type of enhanced magazine compared to EW and Fortune which required version 1.2 or higher. Do you think that has anything to do with it?

I'm not well versed in the inner workings of file types and debugging but thought I would pass this along.

I am also a fan of the New Yorker and have not received my Nook HD yet, so please keep me posted as to what you find out.

Thanks

roustabout
0 Kudos

Very interesting.  Not sure why BN thinks it's a good idea to display magazines on a device that can't be delivered to that device.  just blew in my back issues via Calibre - which manages the content on this device very well. 

And yes, I did not read the subscription info for each of my magazines before plunking down the dough, my bad. 

Contributor
Beangrape
0 Kudos

Are you saying that when using the shop on the Nook HD it lists the New Yorker? I don't have my new device so I can't check.

Do you know if you can download a new issue purchased through the shop using the device? Maybe just previously purchased issues won't transfer over. Although that doesn't make much sense seeing that they don't list Nook HD/HD+ as supported devices for New Yorker and Wired.

I did send an email to both of those magazines to ask if they plan on making those magazines available for the Nook HD/HD+

roustabout
0 Kudos

My bloody *library* displays the New Yorker issues, with cover art, and a little "cloud" icon meaning "not on the device yet, click here to download"

Works on some magazines, not on the New Yorker. 

I'm sure they'll eventually sort it out.  Disappointing that they didn't have it sorted out at launch.  It's not like CND and BN haven't been working on these projects for a long time now.