Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

Re: Nook HD & Nook HD+ Questions & Answers Thread - Unofficial Official Thread

roustabout wrote:

I'm sure they'll eventually sort it out.  Disappointing that they didn't have it sorted out at launch.  It's not like CND and BN haven't been working on these projects for a long time now. 

Well actually it took a long time before there was a NC version of the New Yorker available. For a long time there only was a version for the e-ink Nooks. There were quite of lot of complaints about that.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

Yep, that was how BN sold me a simple touch - I pulled the content off of that and dropped it onto the nook color.  It paid for itself in my not being annoyed about stacks of paper in a couple of months. 

Getting the layout done for the NC / NT was apparently real work, but my memory is that it was ready for the NT when the NT launched. 

And in this case, ok, it's not ready - but don't tease me with it, people.  Just don't display it in my library until you're ready to let me read it, okay? 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

Has anyone set up profiles yet? Has anyone used the channels? How much are the videos?
Inspired Contributor
WinterRoseBlms
0 Kudos

Found the on device User Guide by accident in my Library. I am very surprised that wasn't pinned to the home page for easy access when you first use the device. I've been stumbling around trying figure things out on my own. Most things are pretty simple to figure out but different than they were on my Nook Tablet/Color.

First piece of useful information was how to get the "Most Recent Read" icon back. On the bottom right of the screen you have an icon that looks like 2 pages that opens what they call the "Active Shelf" which I find redundant to the content displayed on the homescreen. Anyway to get the "Most Recent Read" icon you click on the little "Gear" icon at the top on the black bar and click on "Home Settings" then uncheck the box next to "Show Most Recent Drawer". Now the "Most Recent Drawer" icon is replaced with the "Most Recent Read" icon. Too bad you couldn't have both for those who might like to use both options.

roustabout
0 Kudos

I've played a little with profiles (because of some things in the default display that I wanted to dig into.)  I can't say much about them yet.

Videos often "start at" 2.99.  Not sure what the top end is on the videos.

sideloading works -  I just sorted out my painfully stupid oversight in configuring the adb_usb.ini file and now have a launcher of my own and my RSS reader (which, btw, I would pay for if BN would only sell it -- NewsRob, and even in the wake of Flipboard, it's my go-to RSS reader.) 

On to the ICS root scripts.

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Inspired Contributor
WinterRoseBlms

You can also customize what is diplayed on your home screen. Currently it is set as the "Active Shelf" which displayes recently, puchased, recently opened, and recently shared(Lend Me). You can change it to "Inbox" which only shows just recently purchased and newly arrived subscriptions. Press the "Gear Icon" on top right of black bar and "Home Settings" and you will see the "Active Shelf" and "Inbox" and below that more customization options so you can choose what you want or don't want displayed on the home page such as books, apps, TV shows, and documents.

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

How do you save a pic attachment in an email to your Gallery?

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

MarshaInSC, For this:

I also don't like that the "quick settings" don't show the battery life.  In fact I have yet to find a graphical battery life indicator.

You can use our free Battery Tracker App. Warning: It is NOT optimized for Nook HD and HD+. However, the visual battery life indicator part works.

Link:Track Your Battery Life &...

RobertCNJ, for sideloading.

There are two things. Do you want to sideload as a developer? Or do you want to sideload as a user?

There is a developer settings that lets you use adb debugging and install.

I'm not sure how sideloading of apps would work otherwise. You would probably have to do

1) Use adb to install a File Manager or App Manager like Aico File Manager.

2) Then just move apk files to your Nook and install using via Aico File Manager. Rooting should not be needed.

Bibliophile
5ivedom

Patgolfneb

1) Not played with profiles.

2) Channels - Yes. There are various channels. For books. For Apps. You can go in and pick something like Travel App and go see what's available. It's a lot easier to find apps.

As an app developer I'm very happy with it. AS a user - also.

2b) Some examples of channels are:

Movie Mania - Books created from movies.

Fifty Shades More - take a wild guess

Survival of the Fittest - YA adventure and survival.

Eating Better - Healthy eating books.

Epic Fantasy - Robert Jordan, Game of Thrones etc.

Innovative Thinking - Malcolm Gladwell etc.

Evolutionary Reading.

Military Science Fiction.

They are good but not great. Hopefully they improve with time.

There are two tabs - 'For You' and 'Popular'. So it seems to be based on people's preferences.

3) Videos.

$2.99 to rent SD.

$3.99 to rent HD

$9.99 to $17.99 to $19.99 to buy.

Selection is super limited. Just 35 in Science Fiction for example. Just 46 in Comedy.

WPP
Contributor
WPP
0 Kudos

Whew wee...that's a hot mess right there...The New Yorker isn't available for download. I hope that they tigthen up and get that right, Buddies! So, so glad that I've decided to defiitently keep my Nook Tablet...I knew something like that could happen.

roustabout

5ivedom, the only way to install apps so far is via ADB - basically,the design decision is 'make it hard enough to install apps that you have to really want to.'  Any gui install that I've seen so far gets told 'nope, you need that to be signed by BN.' 

Also, there's the issue about the BN app list and the Android app drawer, which I'm looking at now.

If you choose a default launcher other than BN home, you don't see your android apps;  but it's a challenge to launch the BN reader, which for now, at least, I'm preferring because without root it's a decent reader.  With root, fbreader + fbsync or aldiko + aldiko sync wins - except for magazines. 

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
First off...I do not care for a ONE thread for questions and answers re: HD+. Most questions go unnoticed.   So I have another question and hopefully someone will noice and give advice.   How do you set up an email contact list?? TIA
Reader 2
ROZI_POZI
0 Kudos

Has anyone gotten back to you on this question? I'm having the exact same issue....books show up, but won't open. :smileysurprised:(
Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Neither of my questions have been answered.

I have given up playing around trying to solve them on my own.

The users guide does not tell you how to create an email contact list.

I am calling CS for assistance. I will post their instructions.

Contributor
Tohu_Bohu

When I added my email, my contacts were automatcally loaded by nook.
flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,923
0 Kudos

With Gmail, contacts are automatically synched to the Contacts app, and from there the Email app.

I would assume it's the same for other emails. Add a contact's information to the Contact app and you should be able to use it in the Email app.

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

So to download your contact list:

Go to Apps

Contacts

Sign into your Gmail acct

And your contacts will automatically down load.

To save a pic from an email att:

Open email and tap on pic and select Save.

Inspired Contributor
gogirlEH
0 Kudos

Has anyone been able to get overdrive to work. It shows the book dowloading but it doesnt open. Thanks
Reader 2
ROZI_POZI
0 Kudos

I'm having this exact same issue....
Distinguished Correspondent
gabourele
0 Kudos

Remember everyone these devices are HD devices. It may be the developers of some apps are not or have not released their HD versions of apps or not made their current ones available for HD yet.I am assuming they are coming I think once you see devices officially go on sale on  Nov 8 you might see stuff working again. And you might have some developers based in the Northeast that might also affect why the updated version of the app is not there or why your app wont open or open items in it.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.