Inspired Contributor
gogirlEH
0 Kudos

Re: Nook HD & Nook HD+ Questions & Answers Thread - Unofficial Official Thread

Thats prob what it is i will wait to see if hd ovrrdrive version comes out. Thanks
Contributor
Long2Read
0 Kudos

This seems like the right thread for advice. My birthday is coming up and my original nook color is showing its age. I am rooted and love that. I am torn between the HD and maybe the + but am hesitant. First, I love that I can put my NC in my coat pocket if nned be but sometimes wish for more "real estate" for magazine reading. Any advice on which? Also, is it really useful to be able to hook up the HD/+ to a tv for movie streaming? It seems like a neat idea. Thoughts on this? Lastly, I hate to mention this so early, but does anyone know if the msd is locked down to prevent any rooting? I do love the freedom of Play and the App Store (yes, I am considering the nexus 7, too if anyone has thoughts on this). Thanks for any input.
Inspired Contributor
WinterRoseBlms

Long2Read, I can't answer your questions about the boot loader and rooting but I can tell you I love, love, LOVE my new HD+. It definitely isn't as portable as my Tablet was but I can still slide it in my purse. I love the screen, it's so clear and crisp and the catalogs I downloaded look great on the screen so I am sure magazines would be the same. I don't know about connecting my HD+ to the tv to watch movies because you need an adapter to do that and it isn't available for purchase ye(hoping to get that for my birthday in a couple months)t. I would love that feature when we go take a trip with our travel trailer and for movies I don't already own on DVD at home. I can't say anything about other tablets, this is as much tablet as I can afford and then only because I was able to sell my Nook Tablet for a good price.

Frequent Contributor
MarshaInSC
0 Kudos

@5ivedom -- thanks for the tip on the Battery Watcher App.  I downloaded it last night & it gives me what I want.  I will also put it on my Nook Tablet to make comparisons.

The more I use the HD+ the more I like it.  Reading is great, and I am getting used to the web interface.  I see from other users that I lost the widgets when I downloaded the upgrade.  I may go by the B&N store this afternoon to see if they have any wisdom, or any way of reverting back to the older OS version.

Will also see if the Android expert is there.  He may have some tips on sideloading.

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

Anyone get a bluetooth keyboard to work? Can we get better color choices on the HD+ covers?
Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Bibliophile
5ivedom

MarshaInSC, you're welcome.

Long2Read,

regarding this:

First, I love that I can put my NC in my coat pocket if nned be but sometimes wish for more "real estate" for magazine reading. Any advice on which? Also, is it really useful to be able to hook up the HD/+ to a tv for movie streaming? It seems like a neat idea. Thoughts on this? Lastly, I hate to mention this so early, but does anyone know if the msd is locked down to prevent any rooting?

Nook HD - Very very good screen. Very light. SD Card.

Nexus 7 - Google Stock Android, Play Store, It's pretty good. Tegra 3 processor is great for games.

Nook HD+ - Amazing screen. Very light for a large Tablet. SD Card. Cannot fit in pockets.

I think you can't go wrong with Nook HD+. The larger screen estate makes a HUGE difference for following things:

Movies

Surfing the Web

Magazines

Also the higher resolution means more fits on the screen and the pixel density means screen will be slightly better than HD and MUCH better than Nexus 7.

* Locked down msd. No idea.

* HDMI output. You need to get a separate adapter for it which might be $30 to $50. Streaming to a TV does sound super cool. I haven't done it with anything other than an Xbox. I can tell you though that being able to stream things like Netflix and HD movies to a large screen TV is a killer feature.

Given the prices i.e.

$199

$199

$269

I'd suggest the Nook HD+ since you get more bank for the buck. It's still light. I could hold it for 20-30 minutes without feeling tired (my wrists or hands). It's around 500 grams.

If you are near a store I'd recommend checking it out in person because the Nook HD+ screen is

a) MUCH better than Tablet etc.

b) MUCH bigger than Tablet etc. and might be too big for you.

Reader 2
CindyinNC
0 Kudos

I went in to look at the Nook HD+ today at B&N. I have the original Nook.  I never purchase books - always borrow from the library.  I have adobe digital editions on my PC, download books from Overdrive, then drag/drop to my Nook.  I asked the salesperson if it was the same procedure for the Nook HD+ - she told me it was.     LOL ......then she told me she didn't know that you could borrow ebooks from a library. So, I don't quite trust her answer.

Can anyone tell me if the procedure is the same for borrowing library books?

Thanks.

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

No, it's not (though you can still sideload as you are currently doing).

On the HD+ (and I am assuming also on the HD 7 inch),you can directly authorize your HD on the Tablet under Settings, and can download the Overdrive app from B&N to directly download your library books.

The Overdrive app has been available in the nook app store for about 2 months now; have been using it on my NT. However, on the NT, to download library books after purchase, you have to use a non-stock browser  such as Dolphin. Not sure if this will be the same on the HD, as I can't check it out because I am still waiting on my HD 7 inch (hubby has the already received HD+), and I only have one authorization left on my Adobe Digital Editions.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Distinguished Correspondent
auntykatkat

These are my questions:

1. Has anyone got the stylus and how well does the touchsceen work with it?
  2. Has B&N made the shelving system any easier
  3. How easy is the parental controls 

thanks for any and all answers

Auntykatkat

Bibliophile
laurieb52

Two other features which B&N has not advertised on the HD devices:

1.  Text- to-speech is now available on  for the vision impaired (it's a Beta version, under Settings  (set up underGeneral/Text-to-Speech, then enable under Reader/Enable Accessibility).

2. You can now stop apps from running and clear data from the apps without downloading a separate app killer program (under All Settings/Applications/My Applications).

Bibliophile
laurieb52

The shelving system is not much different from the NC and NT, except you can no longer do a search and add searched books to a shelf. You can still add newly added books to a shelf by sorting by most recent and tapping on the book cover to add it. If you elect to edit a shelf directly, the book covers are viewable as you scroll through titles.  Still no "unshelved option".

Parent controls are great. You can add up to 5 user profiles, and each can be have separate parent controls (access to internet, access to different types of books).

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

On the question of rooting, I tend to think the device will probably be rooted down the line, but I also think it's much less important than it used to be unless you absolutely must run a custom ROM in which case there are folks who do sell devices that are ROMable. 

Allowing folks access to the android debugging tools means that if you're ready to roll up your sleeves and get to work, you're able to install your own apps.

I found this morning that AnyCut lets me relaunch the BN shell when I like, and use my preferred launcher at other times. 

I also found that Moon+, while a bit clumsy to learn, supports syncing across devices without root across any book you're reading with it.  So for my BN content I can use the BN reader, and for my sideloads I can use Moon+ (and use it to read the New Yorker until BN gets that sorted.) 

I think my biggest criticism so far is that the maximum screen brightness feels much lower than that of the NT.  I think this is a design decision made to extend battery life but I'm surprised by it.  I was struck by how poor daytime readability was yesterday, even sitting in full shadow. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Frequent Contributor
TigerBlak_
0 Kudos

I spent hours playing on the web browser today and it wasn't laggy at all. And two words, ARTICLE VIEW, it's built into the stock web browser and I couldn't be happier.
Frequent Contributor
TigerBlak_
0 Kudos

I'm hoping that they get SwiftKey as an app because its kinda awesome on my phone and I would love to use it on the nook.
Frequent Contributor
TigerBlak_

With Overdrive you have to open the book in the app itself not on the Nook.
Frequent Contributor
TigerBlak_

I just ordered the Logitech K810 bluetooth keyboard and I'll be testing it on the Nook HD+ as soon as it comes it. I'll report back.
Frequent Contributor
TigerBlak_

1) Download Overdrive App on NC/NT/NHD/NHD+
2) Have Library card handy for setup
3) find and download library ebooks to overdrive
4) Open in Overdrive App
5) consume and repeat
Inspired Contributor
gogirlEH
0 Kudos

Have you gotten this to work on nook hd+
Correspondent
cybersmoke53
0 Kudos

I finally got my HD+ registered late Friday night and spent Saturday and Sunday "discovering".

1st thing that happened when I got registered was an over the air software update from 2.0.0 to 2.0.2.

I got the main profile configured and then just wandered around trying to discover stuff. The little leaflet for quick start doesn't tell much. 

Definitely a learning curve.  I find the library lacks some of the sorting options of the nook color (ie sorting by author with all their books on one line) and I am having a lot of issues with the external SD card.

When I 1st started up, My Nook Today had weather (just once) its gone now and I can't find how to get it back! I can't find the Widgets tab on the Home page desktop customizations tabs... I have no clue where they went.  According to the manual we are supposed to have a clock and an email widget??

When I first setup the Nook HD+ I did not have an external sd card yet.  I got an SansDisk 32 gb type 4 I think.  Anyway I read in the manual that you need to format the little card with exFat if you ever want to use the card to store videos or music bigger than 4 gb a file.  So after getting a little upgrade from Microsoft for my Windows XP box I got the card formatted exFat (I used a card reader).  While I was at it I transferred my Nook Color's Sd cards MyFiles contents that I keep backed up on the same PC to the new card.  The MyFiles contents has all my Calibre converted collection of ebooks I have accumulated over the years and various documents.  I put the card the Nook HD+ and it recognized it fine.

The issue I am having is QuickOffice Pro and OfficeSuiteProVersion 6's file managers can't find the External SD card at all!  DropBox also doesn't see the external Sd card (evern on the Nook Color) but my work around has been to use QuickOffice Pro to copy/paste the files from Dropbox into the external Sd.  The work around doesn't work anymore if Quick office doesn't see the externalSd.  Hopefully QuickOffice Pro and the like will be updated for the new "name" of the external sd card.

Next question:  My Nook HD+ is a 32gb.  When I purchased some new books/apps I am being told I have 8 GB remaining for content?  Anyone know where this comes from?  I thought I would have about 28GB?

Also under storage management there is a tab for Internal Storage Capacity and it is marked 75% full. Other options are 90% full and 95% full.  Anyone have anyclue what this setting is doing?

So far I like the reader.  Its like having a hardback book to read instead of paperback!! I wish though we had an option for a status line at the top that would show time/battery%  etc while I am reading in a book.  It only shows if you tap the screen to bring up the options below.

Reader 2
ROZI_POZI
0 Kudos

1) Download Overdrive App on NC/NT/NHD/NHD+
2) Have Library card handy for setup
3) find and download library ebooks to overdrive
4) Open in Overdrive App
5) consume and repeat

And after all of this is done, has anyone actually gotten a book to open??   I honestly am about to give up, and take my HD+ back to the store and keep using my NC and NST.....I get frustrated way to easy. 
:smileysurprised:(