Inspired Contributor
Michael_the_Writer

Re: Nook HD & Nook HD+ Questions & Answers Thread - Unofficial Official Thread

I am totally loving my new Nook Tablet HD+ but... my original 16GB NT is rooted and has a butt-load of apps on it. I don't want to re-buy everything and my daughter is bugging me daily to inherit my NT. I've tried installing apps that I use extensively but get a Security message about blocked installations. I've used the information provided by others to trick out my NT and don't pretend to be knowledgeable about rooting devices. Obviously you've figured out how to bypass the block. Can you please tell us how? Thank you so much!

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

To get adb set up, you have to follow all of the directions in this guide:

https://nookdeveloper.zendesk.com/entries/21943338-nook-developer-start-up-guide

This includes getting the current set of ADB drivers for the HD+ and configuring adb_usb.ini to support your device.

If you succeeded, once you're done and connect your device to your computer and type

adb devices you'll have an entry in the list.

Once adb is working, you can install apks from the commandline on your computer.

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Contributor
scoobysmom
0 Kudos

Contacted customer service last nite via chat and was told that there is a problem with some of the apps not showing on the HD + and should 24 to 48 hours. Of my 81 apps only 60 are currently showing.

However I am loving this tablet.  I have the nook tablet which is great but I think this one is better.

Will wait for 10 days and if my apps do not appear I might return this one until they straighten this out, as one of the apps I am wanting back is Scrabble.

phoneboy
0 Kudos

Just picked up HD+. Regitered in store. Took 10 mins. Very responsive, no lag. I put the anti glare screen protector on it. Kinda dulls the screen. Proly gonna remove it...Netflix sucks on it. Hope there adjustments in setting to make it work as well as it does on my NT... bit of a learning curve as far as navigating but not a big deal. Gonna play with it after work and post later with pros and cons as i see em
Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

The one thing I do miss is my NT bezel. The HD+ has the same bezel as the NC.

Contributor
bgf39
0 Kudos

Which is Better MS Office App?

There are two apps which allow one to work with MS Office documents (Word, Excell, PowerPoint): Quick Office Pro and Office Suite Professional 6. Both sell for $14.99.  Because of the price, I feel I will get only one or the other.  Would appreciate advice based on experience as to which is the better app for working with Word and PowerPoint documents and why.

Contributor
Long2Read
0 Kudos

Thank you WinterRoseBlms and 5ivedom for your insights. I am now torn between the HD+ thanks to your well-thought replies and the Nexus 7 only because I think the webcam MIGHT be something to use and the Play store and App store from which I have many apps already. Anyone have any thoughts on the usefulness of a 1.8 mp camera as a webcam and the freedom of Google play vs. the locked down Nook store?

Correspondent
ewilson1114
0 Kudos

Long2Read, I feel like if you're okay with the 7" screen and lower resolution on the Nexus 7 you should get it instead of the HD+. The only reason I'm getting an HD+ instead of a Nexus 7 is because I realized I want a bigger screen than that, and the newly announced Nexus 10 is out of my price range. 

I feel like I should mention that I don't actually have my HD+ yet (Hopefully Best Buy will be shipping it soon!) so take my advice with a grain of salt :smileyhappy:

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Long2Read,

Nexus 7 pros:

1) Play Store - lots more apps, lots of them for free. IT's even better than iPhone/iPad store with regards to lots of free ad-supported apps.

2) Front Facing Camera if you want to use Skype etc.

3) I found Nexus 7 to be very smooth. It uses stock Android and it will get latest versions of Android before anything else.

Nook HD - I haven't gotten mine yet.

Nook HD+ Pros

1) New. Note that Nexus 7 is now around 5-6 months old. So it isn't as up to date as Fire HD or Nook HD or Nook HD+ or iPad Mini.

2) Screen - it's gorgeous. Nook HD screen will be MUCH better than Nexus 7 screen.

3) Profiles.

4) B&N perhaps will have better books selection than Google.

It's a very tough choice.

I think if you get Nexus 7 you should get the latest one which might have some improvement other than more memory (perhaps, not sure).

Play Store is the one big thing. Choice of apps is a lot more.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Re: Which is Better MS Office App?

Don't they have trials?

You should get a trial and see which you like better.

Also, I know for a fact that one of them was on sale for $1 earlier this year. If you can wait then they might be on sale for Holidays.

Also, whichever you get, the other might go on sale later.

Inspired Correspondent
lopaka47
0 Kudos

Picked up my HD+ today, the 16gb model. I am absolutely thrilled that I purchased this, it was money very well spent!!! :smileyvery-happy: That said, I do have two minor things I'd like to ask about, and if anybody has any answers I'd be very grateful for your input. First: Every book but one in my still-young library (70 titles) DL without a hitch. The lone no-show is 'Halo - The Fall of Reach.' I can see the full-color cover, but when I open the book there's nothing there. I've tried removing it to the B&N "Cloud" from my HD+ and DL it back again, but still no text appears. Short of deleting it and doing a repurchase, is there any way to get this book back? I'm only 25 pages into it afterall, and I really want to see what happens! :smileylol:

My second concern is my apps. My 'Plants vs Zombies' is MIA, along with a few others. Again, short of doing a repurchase, is there any way to recover this app? It's still running on my Nook Tablet (also 16gb) just fine, would really love to see this game running on the gorgeous HD+ screen! Thanks for any help, it will be greatly appreciated!

Inspired Correspondent
lopaka47
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

As it turns out, I had to repurchase 'Plants vs Zombies' since there is an HD+ version at the Apps Store for the new tablet. It cost $4.99, but I wanted it so I did what I had to. When it comes to the book 'Halo: The Fall of Reach,' things get a little strange. Unable to get the full contents of the already purchased book to appear on my new HD+, in exasperation I finally gave up and just deleted it thinking I could buy it again off the B&N online store. WRONG. Not only is this book unavailable for the HD+, it no longer appears for sale as a DL for ANY Nook, period. Fortunately I still have it on my Nook Tablet, Nook STR and running on the B&N app on my iPad, so it's not as bad as it could have been. Since this book is no longer for sale at the Nook store on the B&N site, I have a question: WHY? I tried calling B&N to ask them but couldn't get through to anybody today. VERY frustrating, but I'll live.  :smileymad:

Distinguished Wordsmith
Rignes
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Can you perhaps post a link to the Plants vs Zombies that works with the HD devices?  I've done a search on BN.com and I still only see the tablet and color one.

Thanks

PS.  Never mind, I just found it.  Had to search on the device rather than on the website.  Apparently there are two different versions, one fo the HD and one for the HD+ so be sure to purchase the correct one! :smileyhappy:

Inspired Correspondent
lopaka47
0 Kudos

I ordered it directly from my HD+, but I'll look around and see if I can find a link for it.

Correspondent
ewilson1114
0 Kudos

Here's the link for it on the website:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/plants-vs-zombies-nook-hd-electronic-arts-inc/1113727893?ean=2940043...

I just searched Plants vs. Zombies HD+ and it came up :smileyhappy:

Inspired Correspondent
lopaka47
0 Kudos

Sorry I didn't see the bottom of your post, hence my reply. Glad you found it!  :smileyhappy:

Inspired Correspondent
lopaka47
0 Kudos

ewilson1114 wrote:

Here's the link for it on the website:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/plants-vs-zombies-nook-hd-electronic-arts-inc/1113727893?ean=2940043...

I just searched Plants vs. Zombies HD+ and it came up :smileyhappy:

Now if you could just find 'Halo: The Fall of Reach' for my HD+ I'd really be grateful!  :smileylol:

roustabout
0 Kudos

lopaka, are you able to back up the files in your library on your NT or NST?  If not, then don't sync one or the other device to BN until you've finished reading Halo, I think that the deletion removed access from your account.

I'd be curious to hear what happened if you searched for the title using the Apple Nook app that you mentioned.It wouldn't surprise me if you found it, and that it's searching for it from the HD+ that isn't showing the title.

My New Yorkers won't download, they're not in HD yet, and I suspect the book is doing the same thing.  

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Correspondent
ewilson1114
0 Kudos

Found this link: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/halo-brian-reed/1100689968?ean=9780785171614&itm=1&usri=halo%3a+the+... but it doesn't say anything about HD+ support :-\ 

keriflur
0 Kudos

5ivedom wrote:

Nook HD+ Pros

<snip>

4) B&N perhaps will have better books selection than Google.

I'm thinking this particular item is a draw between the Nexus 7 and the HD/+, or I'd give it to the N7, as the B&N app works beautifully on the N7, the Google Play app comes installed, and the Kobo and Kindle apps are downloadable from the store for free.  So the option for price shopping is higher on the N7, with the same or a larger selection of books being available on the N7.