Contributor
raeni20
0 Kudos

Re: Nook HD & Nook HD+ Questions & Answers Thread - Unofficial Official Thread

Hmm, that's strange because all the books I downloaded were regular old fiction books you'd find at the bookstore. Game of Thrones was one of them. I contacted customer service about it, and she ackowledged the problem and pretty much said I'd just have to deal with it until the books get a fix (if ever). She took down the books with the problem and said she'd give to the higher-ups for fixing.

I shouldn't say there are nonexistent paragraph spaces, though. Just much less than a standard tab. Maybe like 3 spaces over.

Frequent Contributor
LoganK
0 Kudos

raeni20 wrote:

Hmm, that's strange because all the books I downloaded were regular old fiction books you'd find at the bookstore. Game of Thrones was one of them. I contacted customer service about it, and she ackowledged the problem and pretty much said I'd just have to deal with it until the books get a fix (if ever). She took down the books with the problem and said she'd give to the higher-ups for fixing.

I shouldn't say there are nonexistent paragraph spaces, though. Just much less than a standard tab. Maybe like 3 spaces over.

I also have not had this problem, but I haven't used the Nook HD. If you go into text options and switch the Publisher Defaults setting, does that help?

(I'm guessing what happened is that they specified an indent in pixels, not expecting anyone to have a high resolution device. Kindle doesn't have this problem because most books are still in the old format that doesn't really have any formatting options, thus the publisher can't screw up.)

Contributor
raeni20
0 Kudos

Nope, Publisher Defaults does not help.

I bet what you are saying about the pixel density is right (and very smart!). Hopefully they'll address the issue soon...

Contributor
tech6
0 Kudos

Re: Which is Better MS Office App?

I have Quick Office Pro. It works great! I think you can also purchase a PDF software with it also at a good price.
Contributor
drol343
0 Kudos

You asked...Is the web browsing on the HD as sluggish and laggy as reviews say? Or did they fix it with the software update?

HD+ seems fine to me.  But what is sluggish, is this B&N Community site.  Most sluggish I have ever been on.

Bibliophile
5ivedom

Regarding Web Browsing:

Very Fast on HD+ for me. We have two and it's very fast on both.

Very Fast on HD. HD download speeds we actually found faster than HD+. Not sure why.

What I've heard (thanks to the person who shared the information) is that Nook HD+ and HD units sent tor reviewers were with Debugging Enabled (that's basically something to help developers find and fix bugs). So it wasn't just working - it was also constantly writing down information about what's going on.

That's why lots of reviewers complained about it being laggy. Imagine every single thing going on on the device constantly being reported on and written down.

Actual devices being sold don't have debugging on. So they are fast.

HD+ has a larger screen. So it isn't quite as fast when doing things like Scrolling through lists etc.

Reader 2
Nana0730
0 Kudos

Hello!

How would I put my purchased games on the nook hd+?

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

How would you put your purchased games on your Nook HD+.

1) Only games supported for HD+ would be available.

2) Press the physical N button to go to the home screen. There will be an 'Apps' button there. Tap it.

2b) The Apps screen will show all apps you have. You can tap any of them to download.

2c) If you can't find an app - on Apps screen tap the menu button at the bottom left (a stack of horizontal lines). Then tap on 'Archive' (or perhaps it's 'Archived Items'). Then you can see all your archived items.

Download the ones you want. Just press and hold on icon for 2-3 seconds to get menu.

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

Anyone know how to unhighlight a word??

Bibliophile
5ivedom

1) Tap on the highlight.

2) You'll get a verrtical menu with some options like 'Add Note' and 'Change Color' and 'Remove Highlight'.

Tap on Remove Highlight.

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv

Thank you. I tried doing that many times and finally gave up. So I thought I would post the question. I again tapped and long pressed many times and nothing. Then after a short tap and waiting a second or two seconds  the verticle menu popped up.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Glad to know it worked.

It's strange that it would be a delay. Do you have a lot of notes and highlights in the book? Is it a sideloaded book or a complex formatting one?

Wonder why it would be slow.

Correspondent
ewilson1114
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'm having a little trouble setting up adb. I consider myself fairly tech-savvy but this is my first Android device so adb is completely foreign to me.

I'm following the instructions on the Nook Developer guide that has been posted here. I'm at 2.3 Install the Android SDK. I download the .zip file from the Android Developer website. The instructions tell me to "Double-click the .exe install file." I can't figure out which install file this is. When I open the folder that I unzipped, there are two subfolders-- eclipse and sdk, both with multiple subfolders and .exe files.

I'm using Windows 7 64-bit.

Any help would be appreciated, and please forgive my incompetency! 

Frequent Contributor
seacitylady
0 Kudos

I was in BN today to take a look at the new HD+. Right now I have a NC. I asked the salesperson (AKA Assistant Dept Manager) how the device was partitioned & how much space I would have for my own content. I had looked at the device settings and all that it showed was the total space. He said he did not know but called tech support (Oh, Oh!). They put him on hold for about 10 minutes. Finally, they told him the device was NOT partitioned & all of the space was usable aside from what is used by the operating system. He did not seem very confident & having dealt with tech support I would not trust most of what they tell you. Can someone who owns the device give me the real scoop on this?

Thanks!

Correspondent
ewilson1114

The tech support people were correct-- there are no parti...

The tech support people were correct-- there are no partitions. All the space not taken up by the OS is available for personal content.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

what you were told is more-or-less correct.  BN has set the device up using ICS and it no longer is treated as a little disk drive when you plug it into your computer - it now pops up as a media player.

This is good and bad;  good in that, in theory, you have most (all but the OS installation requirement, a few gig are taken up with OS stuff) of the device accessible to copy to.

You may find that you can only really copy to the device, and you should not expect the device to tell your computer accurately what is on it or where it is. 

The device is using "MTP," a protocol that lets Android retain control of the whole disk even when it's accepting data from you - Android talks to your computer and they supposedly decide what's where. 

Problem is, Android's pretty bad at holding up its end of the conversation.  I just finished copying files off of my device, and was very glad that I had ADB set up and working correctly, because there was no other way to get the copy process to complete than by using commandline tools. 

The good news is, it is possible to have even ICS treat storage as real storage, rather than via MTP.  My ICS phone from HTC presents its sdcard as real storage. 

The bad news is, BN  isn't competent to do it, and the folks at XDA have never seemed to understand or care about the value of doing it. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

roustabout wrote:
You may find that you can only really copy to the device, and you should not expect the device to tell your computer accurately what is on it or where it is. 

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Well that explains alot. And even more importantly, since it means we have to relearn a whole new way of doing things, BN needs to be better at telling us how to do those things in the user guide. Way too much is left up to trial and error. We can't rely on past experience with previous nook devices. There are lots of people who are not tech savvy enough to figure this stuff out on their own. I've been around computers since my first 386 Dell PC but even I get lost in todays geek speak so I need simple and complete instructions and explanations here,

Reader
bwmetz
0 Kudos

> Anyone know how to unhighlight a word??

Got my HD+ yesterday.  See same 1-2s slowness to bring up the highlighted word menu.

1st, to unhighlight, I found that simply single tapping outside of the highlighted area works much faster.

Now, does anyone know how to copy/paste highlighted text?  I want to be able to quote things in e-mails, etc, but the pop-up menu doesn't have that option.

Note: I was quite disappointed that I had to come to my PC to post this reply.  Clicking Reply on my HD+ will either keep prompting for posting id (ignoring confirmation button).  Finally got an error and no longer getting that; however, clicking Reply refreshes the page as on the PC, but the Quick Reply button doesn't appear and no new tab opens to type the reply.

Reader
bwmetz
0 Kudos

I figured out my "can't reply to forum post from HD+"...don't use the option menu to highlight post...it causes posting to break.
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

For this:

Now, does anyone know how to copy/paste highlighted text?  I want to be able to quote things in e-mails, etc, but the pop-up menu doesn't have that option.

First, it only works in things like browser and websites and apps. It doesn't work in books.

Second, this is how it works.

Press down on a word for a second or two. It'll get highlighted. There will be bars at the sides you can move around to change the highlighted area.

At the top a bar will appear and at the top right will be small buttons like 'Cut' and 'Copy'.

Tap on Copy.

Then go to the Email App or somewhere else.

Press down and hold in an area that allows typing. A little 'paste' button will show up. Tap it to Paste.

You can also hold down on a word in this typing area to get Paste and Cut etc. options.