Contributor
LuckyDad1997
0 Kudos

Nook HD+ good for a 5 year old child?

I'm looking for some advice from those of you with children using a Nook HD+.

My 5 year old currently has a Google Nexus 7 - and I have NO complaints with it. The Nexus 7 is used at home and in the car to play educational games and watch videos that I put on it locally. I have it locked with parental controls and my child can only use the apps I specify and watch the videos I specify. All internet connectivity is blocked - at 5 - I don't want/need her on the internet.

She received enough B&N gift cards for Christmas to upgrade her to a NOOK HD+. There are two primary reasons I'm even considering this:

1) I'd like to get her reading on the tablet (or reading with me to start with) and it's just a little bit of a challenge IMHO on the 7" Nexus 7 with the few books I have downloaded so far.

2) I have read that B&N really has the best selection of children's books - with a very rich selection of read-out-loud books as well as a feature that would let ME read a book and record my voice for my child to replay whenever they wanted.

Any feedback from those of you with children in the 5-7 year age range using a Nook HD+ would be very, very appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

Re: Nook HD+ good for a 5 year old child?

I don't have children living at home, but I have set up a profile for my 7 year old granddaughter and another for my 12 yr old grandaughter who both come to spend weekends with me several times a year.

You can set your child profiles as strict as you want.

There is a main profile that has access to all content. I THINK you can password that profile so that a child can not use it, but I haven't had to do that yet so am not sure. There should be something in the user guide that is online on the HD+ support page that can tell you more thoroughly what you can do to child proof the device.

Distinguished Scribe
Schwa
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

1) Profiles are great way to guide a user expedrience for a child.  And currently Nook HD is the only one (or one of few) offering this. 

2) There's absolutely a ton of content available for the age group.  In fact a quck perusal through these forums will reveal complaints that there is too much kid content  :smileywink:

3) The Nooks are actually pretty sturdy* too and should be able to take a kid-beating.  Protection plans also help in this regard for the super-accidents.  Or, being a budget device, it's not that expensive to replace if not (compared to say an iPad or laptops, etc)

my 3 cents

* the exception being the power cable on the NC/NT, remains to be seen how sturdy on the HD

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

I think the real issue hear is not the product, but why do you think a need exists? HD+ is a bit heavy for a 5 year old to use unaided. There is no educational advantage to reading on a tablet. Childrens books for at home in paper have some real advantages, no charging, touching, pointing at illustrations, water spill damage risk minimal, physical contact is pleasing. For travel and unaided use the size you already own is fine. I just think buying content, paper books and stuff for the device you already own makes more sense.

Contributor
LuckyDad1997
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I am a big advocate of reading and paper books. My daughter has her own library of well over 100 lovely children's books in her room and we read every night. We are moving soon and will be making several trips to our new state (1500 miles round trip) and as a result spending lots of time in the car. Reading books on a 7" device is at best an annoying experience IMHO. I was thinking a larger device would make the experience more enjoyable and was hoping B&N's children's selections would be significant enough to lessen the sting of so many hours in the car. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

[ Edited ]

LuckyDad1997 wrote:

I am a big advocate of reading and paper books. My daughter has her own library of well over 100 lovely children's books in her room and we read every night. 

IMO these are good reasons to stick with paper books, especially during a time of transition.  If your daughter is like a lot of kids her age, she has her favorites that she likes to read over and over, and you already own those books.  Having that consistency will be a good thing for her in a big move when everything else in her life is changing.

Your daughter is going to have her whole life to look at digital screens.  Rather than spending those giftcards on another screen, why don't you use them to buy more books?

Contributor
LuckyDad1997

[ Edited ]

keriflur wrote:

IMO these are good reasons to stick with paper books, especially during a time of transition.  If your daughter is like a lot of kids her age, she has her favorites that she likes to read over and over, and you already own those books.  Having that consistency will be a good thing for her in a big move when everything else in her life is changing.

Your daughter is going to have her whole life to look at digital screens.  Rather than spending those giftcards on another screen, why don't you use them to buy more books?

While I'm sure you are well intentioned - my original post requested feedback from those of you with children in the 5-7 year age range using a Nook HD+ - not parenting or child development related advice.

Frequent Contributor
BeckyWC
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

My grandson is 5 and my daughter has the nook kids on her ipad that she and her son read with every evening before bedtime.  She also has educational games and such.  His kindergarten uses ipads in class as tools for learning so he is very comfortable using it.

I think with supervision your daughter will come to enjoy reading on the Nook HD+ as well as her paper books.

Wordsmith
LectorGS

[ Edited ]

My niece's children, ages 6 and 7, attend a private Catholic school which has recently integrated some ebooks in their library.  I saw some kids there using their Nook Tablets to read children's stories.  They were having a great time.  Some of the teachers expressed their approval and believe that by using electronic devices their students' reading habits may increase as they get older,

Lector GS
Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin

My only concern regarding the HD+ for a 5 year old (as opposed the NT or HD) is the weight. While it is the lightest of the tablets in this size format, I do find that my arms can get tired holding it.  Now, in a car, she  may have something on which to rest it.  Other than that, I think the size would be great for  picture books, which tend to be larger than pure print books.  I have the NC but bought the HD+ primarily because magazines like National Geographic would be better on it--basically the "grup" equivalent of picture books.  I have not explored kids' books on the Nook since my children are grown (sigh!) but I understand that this is a huge feature for BN.  From what I see of app, BN has placed great emphasis on the kid/family market.  It certainly could ease the time spent in a car seat!  I would suggest springing for the extended warranty, as it covers any accidental damage--not a remote possibility when a device is on the move.  We take ours camping in our little travel trailer.  I just feel better knowing I'm covered, 'cause even when it's just grups, Stuff Happens. 

Contributor
LuckyDad1997
0 Kudos

Thanks for your replies.

Inspired Correspondent
Sandan53

My son has been using ereaders sense he was 6.  He started with the NC.  I can tell you that he loved the special children's books that BN has. He also has an extensive library of regular books (non ereader). 

The Nook HD & HD+ are very good devices for kids.  The profiles make them perfect family devices. My son who is older now has an HD. I think if the child has to hold the device for a long period of time the HD might be better, if that is not the case, the children's books look and sound great on the HD+. 

BN has a very extensive library of special ebooks for children.  They also allow you to read along with some books and record your reading.  This creates a very personal experience for your child.

Everyone says that they are listening but, no one remembers what was said.
Contributor
LuckyDad1997

Thanks to all who replied - we are off tomorrow night to our local B&N to get a Nook HD+! 

Wordsmith
LectorGS
0 Kudos

Good choice!  Let us know how things go.  

Good luck

Lector GS
Contributor
LuckyDad1997
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

As some of you were so kind to offer me some advice - I thought I would let you know the outcome.
So that you all know where I'm coming from - let me share that I have spent the last 15 years in corporate IT, my daughter currently uses a Nexus 7 tablet, my wife a Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 tablet, and we have two Samsung Galaxy SII smartphones.

Last weekend we picked up a 32GB Nook HD+. After letting it charge overnight - I began setting it up. On the positive side - the light weight of the 9" HD+ was nice (and perfect for a young child) and the size was right in between a 7" and 10" tablet - perfect also. I liked the feel of it in my hand. While many reviews of the HD+ remark about the quality of the screen - specs aside - I did not find it impressive at first glance.

SO - I embark upon setting up a profile for myself and one for my daughter. The first thing I realize is (compared to the other two family tablets) how trapped I felt inside of the customized Nook flavor of Android. OK I said - the tablet is for a 5 year old who is probably going to care less about flexibility and customization - so I continue.

My first task is to sideload 10-12 gigs of videos and pictures onto the device - which is where I hit problem 1. I had repeated problems having my Windows 7 computer access/recognize the internal storage on the Nook HD+. A couple of hanging explorer.exe instances and reboots of my computer later - I switch to copying files to the Nook HD+ from an old Dell laptop - which was a little smoother (but still not entirely problem free). OK - files copied - now let's see this screen shine and watch some videos! Oops - problem 2. While the overall quality of the videos in playback was acceptable (not stunning) - the default Gallery App kept losing the thumbnails of both videos and pictures when going back to the Gallery's home page after having watched a video. This happened across both profiles. A chat with BN support advises me to reset the device and start all over - which I diligently did - only to have the same issue with the Gallery App. OK - a little frustrated - I simply pony up $4 for third-party Gallery App - which functions without issue.

My second task was to see how many of her favorite apps on her Nexus 7 are available for download on the Nook HD+. WOW - that's when it hit me - the selection of apps is pretty dismal. I mean - for those that complain that the Google Play store is paltry compared to iTunes - the Nook store has all the selection of the local card store when looking to buy a Valentine’s Day card for the Mrs. ON Valentine’s Day... evening! OK - I found 2 - figured she would try some new ones anyway - I move on.

My third task was to investigate the Nook Kids books - one of the motivating factors for getting me here in the first place! I have to say that the ability to quickly search and find things IN the store is pathetically poor. I ultimately find and download 2 read-out-loud books.

I had NOT told my daughter that this was her new tablet - didn't want her disappointed if it did not work out - and the first night I told her instead of reading paper books that evening - we would read some books on a tablet that I was setting up for someone. We did and we had fun - the read-out-loud books were great and a MUCH improved experience on the 9" HD+ over the 7" Nexus.

CONCLUSION:
In the end - I began to realize that while the Nook HD+ is called a "tablet" - for ME and in MY opinion - it more of a $300 e-reader - which had some extended functionality. Funny too - because the salesgirl at BN who took care of my return (we returned the HD+ yesterday) looked at me after hearing a brief explanation of my complaints about its shortcomings and said "well sir - it is primarily an e-reader"! Yeh - OK - I got that now - thanks.

For now, my daughter will stick with her Nexus 7 and I'll keep my eye out for a deal on another Galaxy Tab 2 10.1. My only concern is the weight of the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 - I don't see it as being child-friendly. Of course, she'll not have access to the Nook Kids content - but I'm hoping that BN will get desperate enough for the revenue stream to decide to develop Nook Kids for Android.

I hope my tale of woe helps someone out who is considering a Nook HD+ and I thank you all again for time and advice!

Inspired Wordsmith
Swamprat

I think most of us share your disappointment with the very small walled gardeof that B&N has built after almost two years.  I only wish that, as an IT professional who should be up to the task, you had explored the option of enabling ADB and side loading those favorite apps and sharing your experience with those of us who are contemplating this approach.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and best of luck in finding something for your daughter!  I wish I could believe that B&N is listening.

Contributor
LuckyDad1997

Swamprat - I had thought about that - to be honest. I get paid to make things work for clients - and get paid to be creative with work-arounds to make things work better (or the way they SHOULD in many cases). BUT - this time - I let the consumer in me - get the best of me. I just paid $300 for a Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 last month for Christmas - and the setup was a pleasure: great out-of-the-box experience, everything worked as it should, excellent piece of hardware, great selection of quality apps preloaded on tablet, great selection of third-part apps in Google Play (many free), zero issues. So with the Galaxy fresh in mind - and having coughed up the same $300 for the Nook HD+ - I really resented the amount of time it took me to attempt setup and the number of disappointments I encountered along the way. SO - I was not a happy consumer - and back it went. 

If BN IS listening - I have a reasonable amount of business experience - over 15 years in technology - and an MBA. My question for BN executives is: why ARE you in the tablet business? What IS your core competency - hardware or books? If it's books - why are you not concentrating on making IOS and ANDROID apps that provide your book customers with an experience so enjoyable that it keeps them spending money on books  - and leave the hardware end of the business to Asus, Google, Samsung, and Apple?

Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

WRT the videos you'd tried out...

The HD+ is a "full HD" display. If those videos were designed for display on most other "tablets" they were probably something closer to standard definition TV (ie, between 640 and 800 pixels wide, and 480-512 pixels tall). Scaling that to an HD display is probably not going to be thrilling -- especially if they were highly compressed too. A "full HD" display can show FOUR standard definition images at once, one in each quarter (though I doubt any have a processor fast enough to update four video streams at once).

That HD screen is also one reason so few games and kid-friendly applications are available -- anything that used fixed bitmap images for backgrounds will either look small (if not scaled, but shown in a window) or blocky (if scaled up by the device). New versions with higher resolution graphics are needed for the HD.

Baron Wulfraed
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

With all due respect, this is what you wrote at the start:

There are two primary reasons I'm even considering this:

1) I'd like to get her reading on the tablet (or reading with me to start with) and it's just a little bit of a challenge IMHO on the 7" Nexus 7 with the few books I have downloaded so far.

2) I have read that B&N really has the best selection of children's books - with a very rich selection of read-out-loud books as well as a feature that would let ME read a book and record my voice for my child to replay whenever they wanted.

From your last post it seems you were expecting -

Everything that Nexus 7 provides

PLUS

the two points you mention above.

Here's my question -

Are you returning the Nook HD+ because

a) It didn't meet the two points you list above?

OR

b) The bad experiences you had?

OR

c) Videos didn't play like you expected

OR

d) It isn't a Tablet like the NExus 7.

That would help people, because depending on what they are looking for, and the data points you provide it wouldn't work.

Contributor
LuckyDad1997

[ Edited ]

You are correct - I wanted the great apps and movie experience I already had on the Nexus 7 AND the larger size screen and Nook Kids content. 

While I shared some specifics (for the benefit of current/future HD+ owners) about issues I bumped into along the way - there was no ONE reason I returned it. Ultimately the Nook HD+ was returned because I just didn't have a good feeling about it. I've been dealing with technology related hardware/software for just over 15 years - and in MY experience - when you work with a new product and develop a feeling that it is does not seem completed/polished, doesn't seem executed with perfection as the goal and with the end-user in mind at every step of the way - it never winds up being a good long-term ownership experience. developed this feeling regarding the Nook HD+ over the course of playing with it for a few days and decided to cut my losses (primarily my time) and move on.

I think being happy with the Nook HD+ is about managing expectations - which I clearly did NOT do a good job of - even with the help of the kind folks in this forum and reading numerous reviews. This is why I commented that I thought instead of referring to it as a "tablet" - referring to it as an "e-reader with some extended functionality" would better set expectations of potential buyers.