Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Re: Nook HD+ good for a 5 year old child?

This is very true:

when you work with a new product and develop a feeling that it does not seem completed/polished, doesn't seem executed with perfection as the goal and with the end-user in mind at every step of the way - it never winds up being a good long-term ownership experience.

How many products have you found that actually had this?

I can only think of my iPhone (which I'm actually going to get rid of, in 2008 it felt this way, now it doesn't) and my Surface Tablet (though it's very unpolished software wise) that seem this way.

Even iPad I found to be rather poorly done.

Nothing else I can think of that comes close. Everything else (Kindles, Nooks, everything) seems made for a 1 or 2 year stint as a passable device.

Nook hardware does seem made very well. Software is weak.

Kindle 3 (kindle keyboard) was very good. But it had some deficiencies.

I think you could count on one hand the number of companies across all of Phones, PCs, Tablets, etc. that work with this goal:

when you work with a new product and develop a feeling that it is does not seem completed/polished, doesn't seem executed with perfection as the goal and with the end-user in mind at every step of the way - it never winds up being a good long-term ownership experience.

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

5ivedom wrote:

[...] when you work with a new product and develop a feeling that it is does not seem completed/polished, doesn't seem executed with perfection as the goal and with the end-user in mind at every step of the way - it never winds up being a good long-term ownership experience.

When a product is new, there is a short "honeymoon" period in which the company can demonstrate its willingness to fix things, and build a lot of good will. Apple is good at this. Every time an Android update lands that enables new features or eliminates bugs at no charge, Motorola does this.

The problem for B&N is that the NOOK Color came out two years ago, and they are still giving this impression. Rather than building good will, they seem to be self-serving. Updates seem to introduce bugs as quickly as they eliminate them, and communications are dismal.

Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

bobstro: Updates seem to introduce bugs as quickly as they eliminate them, and communications are dismal.

Not just that, they sometimes take away functions that were working just fine - like the table of contents issue and page numbers (I think) that keriflur mentioned elsewhere. (http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Community-Room/Nook-Issue-Board/td-p/1426973)