Contributor
socoach

Nook Misleading re Android and Apps

Just received a Nook Tablet as a gift (at my suggestion) and I'm wondering what I was thinking.  Silly me -- I read about thousands of apps and Android and thought there was a link.  Much to my disappointment there is not an ability to reach the Android market...and the apps available are so limited. On top of that, from what I've read B&N has taken away any ability to root the Nook so that I can't have access to additional material.

I'm looking for access to sync my Outlook to my desktop and the only app available is Missing Sync - which has received horrendous reviews.  Contacted CompanionLink regarding Dejaoffice and they said they have submitted everything to B&N but B&N hasn't moved on it yet. Yes, I could use Google; however as this isn't a device that can always have access to the Internet, I'd be without my calendar and contacts when I travel.  I really don't want to carry two devices.

When I looked for notetaking apps that would allow me to use handwriting, not much there.  And when I did a search, I received a number of unrelated items. I've also discovered that some apps don't allow for landscape viewing.  Ugh. Thinking of returning it.

Inspired Correspondent
j-andersonjma
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Misleading re Android and Apps

Missing Sync works perfectly with my Home computer, Nexus S phone, Nook Color and Nook Tablet.  Most of the bad reviews are by people who think the $39 price is to high.  I however, think it is a real "deal" because for the first time we have a common calendar on each electronic device we have and calendar changes can be affected from anyone of them and show up at the next sync on the others.  BTW we use the Fliq free Apps and MS Outlook.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener

Agree with j-andersonjma.   Running Outlook on Windows7 and Missing Sync for Android works very well (with the exception of Contacts which don't sync.)  Also something not mentioned in reviews is that you have the ability to sync folders via wifi with your NC/NT which is handy as well. 

Since users can post reviews of apps that they haven't even purchased (which is very unfortunate), the reviews can get very silly, very fast ranging from "should I get it?" to "It cost's too much."  And human nature being what it is, people are more apt to complain than mention when something goes right (guess I should go right that positive review now, huh?) 

Re: Handwriting app --- you can try the Skitch app, but not sure that it will work that well.  This is just my opinion, but in order for handwriting to be beneficial, the stylus would need to be pointy enough (like a pen) to really work.  That would be true for any tablet device.  All the stylus I have seen, the tips are more like pencil erasers than pencil tips.  Does anybody know if there is a "pointy" stylus?

Contributor
socoach

Thanks for your feedback regarding Missing Sync.  I'd be inclined to purchase it (the price is not the issue) based on the feedback of actual users; however, the primary reason I want to sync Outlook with my Nook is for the contacts, which isn't available through Missing Sync.  CompanionLink and DejaOffice do have that capacity, but DejaOffice is not an available app for the Nook as B&N hasn't approved it yet.  I'm hoping its soon as I'm anxious to do the sync.

Inspired Correspondent
Eustace2
0 Kudos

You can still root the NT, search the XDA Developers site for more information.  I have found the device to be very usable when rooted.   Google Play and the Amazon App Store give you a huge selection of apps.

If your Outlook information is on an Exchange server, I have had good luck with Touchdown.  It will pull calendar, mail and contacts.  The downside is that it holds the information in a separate app and does not populate the native Nook apps.  The benefit to that approach is that if the Outlook adminstrator needs to wipe the account, it will only wipe the information in Touchdown and not flatten the entire device.  I believe Touchdown is available in the B&N App Store

"With Android for Nook, I am a real tablet." The Nook Pinocchio.
Correspondent
Temetka
0 Kudos

The nook tablet is easily rooted. Even the latest 1.4.2 version. I did mine in about 15 minutes using instructions posted on the XDA website. After that you have full access to the android store and amazons app store. It will void your warranty though.
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it. - Voltaire

“If there were no God, it would have been necessary to invent him.” - Voltaire
Wordsmith
TnTexas

[ Edited ]

Eustace2: You can still root the NT, search the XDA Developers site for more information. 

Yes, rooting is still possible. Sideloading and installing apps from sources other than B&N's store (which was possible when the Tablet first came out) is no longer possible. But rooting still is.

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro

TnTexas wrote:

Yes, rooting is still possible. Sideloading and installing apps from sources other than B&N's store (which was possible when the Tablet first came out) is no longer possible. But rooting still is.

And to be clear: Rooting will let you sideload and install apps from sources other than B&N's store.

Wordsmith
TnTexas

Do you know if rooting affects Netflix or Hulu+? Does it allow you to sideload the Amazon VOD apk and run it? I can do all of that with my non-rooted Tablet that has a handful of third party apps (including the Amazon VOD apk) installed on it from before the Big "Bug" Fix. They all work, but I didn't know if rooting might affect that.

Contributor
socoach
0 Kudos

Thank you all for your ideas!

I was able to install CM7 on an SD card and have even downloaded the contact app I desired.  Now for the stupid question.  I can use the app as long as I have the SD card in my Nook Tablet.  However, after looking through the settings, it appears that the app is on my Nook and not the card.  So, is there a way to access the app on my Nook without the SD card.  If so, how?

One last question -- when I turn on the Nook with the SD card there's a pop of light before it goes to CyanogedMod.  Does that seem right.

Again, thank you.

bobstro

TnTexas wrote:

Do you know if rooting affects Netflix or Hulu+? Does it allow you to sideload the Amazon VOD apk and run it? I can do all of that with my non-rooted Tablet that has a handful of third party apps (including the Amazon VOD apk) installed on it from before the Big "Bug" Fix. They all work, but I didn't know if rooting might affect that.

I can't say that I've tried those two specific apps from the B&N Market. I do run the version of Netflix from the Android Market (now Play Store) and it works just fine. 

To the best of my knowledge, the programs will run from a technical perspective. I am not sure if Hulu+ specifically refuses to run on a rooted device. I'm sure there are workarounds if that's the case. I'd suggest a bit of research over on the XDA forums to confirm. (Sorry, I'm not a Hulu+ subscriber.)

Rooting is a non-issue for most apps. There are some apps that aren't completely compatible with the NOOK Tablet, of course.

bobstro

socoach wrote:

[...] I was able to install CM7 on an SD card and have even downloaded the contact app I desired.  Now for the stupid question.  I can use the app as long as I have the SD card in my Nook Tablet.  However, after looking through the settings, it appears that the app is on my Nook and not the card.  So, is there a way to access the app on my Nook without the SD card.  If so, how?

If you want the app to be available when using the B&N firmware, you probably need to root the B&N firmware. There may be other ways to hack it onto the device, but they aren't for the faint hearted.

One last question -- when I turn on the Nook with the SD card there's a pop of light before it goes to CyanogedMod.  Does that seem right.

There's usually a a screen flicker when it first powers on, if that's what you mean.