New User
samscud
0 Kudos

Nook Simple Touch 1.2 update

I just installed the 1.2 update and the formatting in my sideloaded epubs has changed. Anyone else notice formatting problems?

Now a blank line has appeared in between each paragraph that never existed. If I choose "Publisher Defaults", it removes the blank lines, but then I can no longer choose the font. These are epubs that worked OK in 1.1.x, and were hand-crafted by me.

I have another couple of specific bugs related to the NST epub interpretation (the reason for missing cover images, for example) but I don't know how to report them.

Cheers

Wordsmith
tmr4
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Simple Touch 1.2 update

It is not just sideloaded books. I've noted the same with my B&N downloaded books.
Frequent Contributor
CMarion
0 Kudos

Hmmm...no change on my NST. Side loaded, library or B&N. But I did have to reregister my Nook with ADE.

Correspondent
ilexq
0 Kudos

Soooo I guess it's safe to assume there's no real point to installing this update, unless I just want to bung up my reading experience again? WTG, BN, WTG. :/ 

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0

Assumptions are what you make of them.  I installed the update and am happy with it.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Correspondent
ilexq
0 Kudos

Is there anything in particular that you consider to be an improvement, Alan?

Frequent Contributor
Joydeck

My list of NST improvements in firmware 1.2 update includes replacing the Websters Pocket with the Websters Collegiate Dictionary (with type-in lookup, auto-hyphenated word lookup, and fonts-size the same as the epub), shelves retained after a power-off, and a more reliable GoTo.  Others have claimed sharper fonts, improved handling of epub formatting, and faster and cleaner page-turning, although I've not noticed these.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

ilexq wrote:

Is there anything in particular that you consider to be an improvement, Alan?

The biggest change I've seen is on the NSTG where it tells you to press the "n" to get the glow light on.  My assumption is that the rest of the changes are under the hood (other than the dictionary which has been mentioned).  

To my way of thinking any update that B&N makes that doesn't make things worse is acceptable and possibly an improvement.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Correspondent
Byteguy

ilexq wrote:

Soooo I guess it's safe to assume there's no real point to installing this update, unless I just want to bung up my reading experience again? WTG, BN, WTG. :/ 

Having a working dictionary is MORE than worth the update.

I got tired of looking up a word like ""frungulation" and get a useless definition like "the act of experiencing a state of frungal."  I completely gave up using the old dictionary.

Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat
0 Kudos

Byteguy wrote:

Having a working dictionary is MORE than worth the update.

I got tired of looking up a word like ""frungulation" and get a useless definition like "the act of experiencing a state of frungal."  I completely gave up using the old dictionary.

Maybe in the 2014 update they'll make "frungal" clickable or selectable instead of requiring us to type it into the search box. I'm not holding my breath, but isn't what they did the laziest possible implementation? All the cross-reference terms are formatted differently from ordinary definition text. It would have been childs play to turn them automatically into hyperlinks. In fact, I'll bet that they already were hyperlinks in the original version B&N adapted for the NST. Heaven only knows why they decided to cripple it.

Please visit me on Goodreads. Currently reading:
Journey Into Now by Leonard Jacobson
Wordsmith
Fred011
0 Kudos

WOW!  "Faster and cleaner page-turning".  I find that very interesting because my wife and I both (to our great sorrow) updated to 1.2 and have noticed that page-turning had gotten noticeably worse.  The page-turning on each of our devices has become slower and we have this very annoying "morphing" effect where the letters seem to do a "fade" where the old page seems to disappear as the new page appears.  Prior to this with ver. 1.1 our readers did page-turning perfectly with virtually no visible "stutter" or "morphing."

I have since reset my device to the prior version of the firmware and the issue still exists.  I don't know how that is possible since the firmware update created the problem and reverting to the old firmware does not eliminate it.

Has anyone else noticed this issue on page-turning in 1.2?

Does anyone have any idea how this could be corrected since I have already tried reverting to prior firmware version?

Contributor
Gotadimple
0 Kudos

If the issue exists under both versions of software, then it isn't a software problem.  It's a hardware problem.  You might want to stop into a B&N store to see what the expert says.

Nook STR, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1"
Only got 1 dimple, would have preferred 2!
Wordsmith
Fred011
0 Kudos

The issue DID NOT exist with version 1.1 of the software on either device.  After updating to the 1.2 version of the software on both devices, the issue existed on BOTH devices.  After reverting to the 1.1 version of the firmware, the issue remained on the device.

The onset of the issue definitely seems to be software related.  However, the lack of resolution going back to the prior software seems to be hardware related. However again, what's the probability that the updating to version 1.2 of the firmware coincided with a sudden and simultaneous onset of a hardware problem on two seperate devices that did not exist on either before the update, keeping in mind that one unit was about 11 months old and the other was just a few days old?  I'm baffled!  So apparently is B&N "tech. support": their first solution was to try to reinstalling version 1.2 of the firmware to see if it made any difference. What's the definition of insanity? (At least it wasn't Microsoft suggesting reinstalling Windows!) 

The first tech I talked to suggested the reinstallation of 1.2.  In the process, he disconnected me.  The second tech was trying to be helpful, but was also very hard to understand. Net result was that B&N has offered to replace BOTH devices, but with "Certified Pre-Owned" units.  My concern is that if either of the replacements should ever get 1.2 in stalled, we'll be right back where we started. Also, has anyone had experience with pre-owned Nook STs? 

IS EVERYONE ELSE SATISFIED WITH THE PAGE-TURNING ON VER. 1.2.0 OF THE FIRMWARE?

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,247
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

Fred011 wrote:

IS EVERYONE ELSE SATISFIED WITH THE PAGE-TURNING ON VER. 1.2.0 OF THE FIRMWARE?

I'm currently reading an eBook bought yesterday, on a Nook Touch v1.2.0 (originally v1.0.0).  Works fine here.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

I don' t have any problems on mine.  Upgraded to 1.2 a month ago.

Scribe
frantastk
0 Kudos

I installed 1.2 right after it came out and haven't had any trouble with it at all. No one I know has any issues with it either. Yours is the first I've read of it on any ereader forums (bn and non-bn owned ones). Granted I could have missed it somewhere as I've been doing a lot of skimming on forum posts lately.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

Fred011 wrote: Also, has anyone had experience with pre-owned Nook STs? 

Several of my aunts/uncles have certified pre-owned NSTs, they work fine.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Frequent Contributor
Joydeck
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

We have two Nooks, bought in August, and have noticed little change on page turning with the 1.2 update, installed a month ago.

Here's a comment from a guru at XDA Forum post:

If you actually read a book on it you'll notice that the screen update has been changed somehow. It's hard to put a finger on it, but the image "morphs" going from one page to another. There is still the complete refresh every n pages (where n=6 by default, but can be configured). I think that it is an improvement.

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

It should be noted the 'hard' refresh (when the screen flashes black) can only be configured if you root your Nook.

The screen morph that is being described is likely done to prevent ghosting.  But honestly unless you're moving your eyes to the top corner of the page before turning to the next this morph is -less- time than if you were reading a physical book and should be done well before your eyes train to the continuation of the text.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
keriflur

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

It should be noted the 'hard' refresh (when the screen flashes black) can only be configured if you root your Nook.

The screen morph that is being described is likely done to prevent ghosting.  But honestly unless you're moving your eyes to the top corner of the page before turning to the next this morph is -less- time than if you were reading a physical book and should be done well before your eyes train to the continuation of the text.

Comparison to a physical book is irrelevant. The only comparison that matters here is to the previous version(s) of the software, as that determines whether B&N has made an improvement or not.