Reply
Contributor
Mr_Weatherbee
Posts: 12
Registered: ‎06-14-2011
0 Kudos

Nook Simple Touch reader battery life - lousy

Bought my nook one week ago. I have charged it maybe 5 times since. Charged fully two nights ago, wireless off. Hopped a plane, read on and off for maybe 2 hours total. Turned on WiFi for maybe 30 minutes to sync newspaper subscriptions. Battery is currently at 42% charge. What's up with this?

flyingtoastr
Posts: 3,011
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,924
Registered: ‎11-11-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Simple Touch reader battery life - lousy

Sounds like you have a defective battery.

 

Call 1-800-THE-BOOK. You're the only person I've seen so far who isn't getting amazing battery life out of the thing.

Frequent Contributor
mettleh3d
Posts: 164
Registered: ‎04-18-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Simple Touch reader battery life - lousy

Charged 3 days ago, 75%

Inspired Contributor
Plucknbach
Posts: 40
Registered: ‎05-31-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Simple Touch reader battery life - lousy

Definitely a bad battery

Famous Last Words: "Hold my beer, and Watch this..."
Distinguished Correspondent
avid_reader1590
Posts: 185
Registered: ‎12-28-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Simple Touch reader battery life - lousy

[ Edited ]

I think you have a bad battery too.  I returned my first one as I stated in other post due to rapid battery drain and the one I have now is great. I picked up the new one last Tuesday and have been reading a lot with the wifi on sometimes and off at others and it is only down to 76% today. I love this little reader! 

It is better to stir up a question without deciding it, than to decide it without stirring it up. ~Joseph Joubert


Inspired Wordsmith
sirwillard
Posts: 496
Registered: ‎06-10-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Simple Touch reader battery life - lousy

Sounds like a bad battery. I've had my N2E for about a week now. I've read for maybe an hour a day since I've gotten the device, plus allowed several people to play with the device (which means many rapid page turns). My N1E would be dead by now, but the N2E is still above 70% charged. So I won't be getting anywhere near the 2 months advertised (but no one expects to), however it's a lot better than the N1E, and a lot better than you're describing here.

Check out my books on Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/profile/wekempf
Correspondent
yarnmama
Posts: 139
Registered: ‎06-21-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Simple Touch reader battery life - lousy

I agree with the others. You need to get another since your battery must be defective. I have only charged mine once in the 10 days I have had it. I have used it at least two hours every day with Wi-Fi on 24/7 and it's still at 43%.

AlanNJ
Posts: 3,722
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
Registered: ‎03-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Simple Touch reader battery life - lousy


yarnmama wrote:

I agree with the others. You need to get another since your battery must be defective. I have only charged mine once in the 10 days I have had it. I have used it at least two hours every day with Wi-Fi on 24/7 and it's still at 43%.


That's very close to my experience as well.  

►Without order there is chaos◄
Contributor
Waylay
Posts: 16
Registered: ‎07-02-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Simple Touch reader battery life - lousy

I am averaging about 4% battery usage a day on my new Nook 2e. Since on my N1E I was going through about 46% a day in normal reading I am extremely happy with the battery life that I am getting.

Contributor
Enigma75
Posts: 10
Registered: ‎03-24-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Simple Touch reader battery life - lousy

I just got the NST on Friday and only charged it until the light turned green...used it for maybe an hour on Saturday and an hour on Sunday, and about 1.5-2 hours yesterday.  When I went to bed last night it said I had about 50% charge left, read for about 30-45 minutes this morning; and now it said the battery was to low to go out of sleep mode.  :smileysad:

 

Hopfully this happened only because I didn't let it charge for the full 3 hours.

Frequent Contributor
rassy
Posts: 34
Registered: ‎12-22-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Simple Touch reader battery life - lousy

Enigma75,

 

I think that you may have a bad battery.  Your WiFi was turned off correct?  When I initiailly got the N2E, I only charged it for about 30 minutes before it was 100% charged.  I have had my N2E since June 3rd and have read for at about 3 hours every day.  And my charge is at 60%.

 

I hope that you can get it sorted out.  I really like the N2E.

 

 

Contributor
Enigma75
Posts: 10
Registered: ‎03-24-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Simple Touch reader battery life - lousy

I only had the wifi on twice, once to register the device and the other time to show a co-worker.  Each time was under 2 minutes.  I'll pay closer attention to this charge and see what happens.

Contributor
1914ww
Posts: 15
Registered: ‎12-31-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Simple Touch reader battery life - lousy

My wife bought a NE2 on June 4th.  She charged it like she was supposed to and started using it.  I would guess she reads 3 to 4 hours everyday. 

Last night, when she tried to wake it up, she got a "Charge to Low to Turn On" message.

 

I think 30-40 hours is pretty good but I thought I'd share since not too many people have reported using a full charge yet.

Distinguished Wordsmith
sygram
Posts: 499
Registered: ‎05-28-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Simple Touch reader battery life - lousy

 


AlanNJ wrote:

yarnmama wrote:

I agree with the others. You need to get another since your battery must be defective. I have only charged mine once in the 10 days I have had it. I have used it at least two hours every day with Wi-Fi on 24/7 and it's still at 43%.


That's very close to my experience as well.  


Similar experience here as well.


New User
PDXReader42
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎06-14-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Simple Touch reader battery life - lousy

So those of you getting super battery life, are you powering down the unit when you're not using it?  I was under the impression I should just leave it on in sleep mode, but it seems like I'm only getting 10 hours/5 days per charge.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
Posts: 1,949
Registered: ‎02-15-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Simple Touch reader battery life - lousy


PDXReader42 wrote:

So those of you getting super battery life, are you powering down the unit when you're not using it?  I was under the impression I should just leave it on in sleep mode, but it seems like I'm only getting 10 hours/5 days per charge.


Are you leaving wifi off?

Distinguished Wordsmith
sygram
Posts: 499
Registered: ‎05-28-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Simple Touch reader battery life - lousy


Josienjoe wrote:

PDXReader42 wrote:

So those of you getting super battery life, are you powering down the unit when you're not using it?  I was under the impression I should just leave it on in sleep mode, but it seems like I'm only getting 10 hours/5 days per charge.


Are you leaving wifi off?


I get my N2E June 3rd, it had 84% charge, I charged it to 100% in less than an hour.

I left wifi on, powered down once or twice over the past week or so and then powered it back up immediately.

I have it set to sleep after 15 minutes and I've been reading on it for a couple hours a day, once or twice I may have only gotten in about 1/2 hr and other days I read for 4+ hours.

I just charged it for the first time this past Monday (June 13th) and it was only down to about 34%.

Comparing the two experiences it seems like the OP has a bad battery or something else wrong with their N2E.


AlanNJ
Posts: 3,722
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
Registered: ‎03-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Simple Touch reader battery life - lousy


sygram wrote:

Josienjoe wrote:

PDXReader42 wrote:

So those of you getting super battery life, are you powering down the unit when you're not using it?  I was under the impression I should just leave it on in sleep mode, but it seems like I'm only getting 10 hours/5 days per charge.


Are you leaving wifi off?


I get my N2E June 3rd, it had 84% charge, I charged it to 100% in less than an hour.

I left wifi on, powered down once or twice over the past week or so and then powered it back up immediately.

I have it set to sleep after 15 minutes and I've been reading on it for a couple hours a day, once or twice I may have only gotten in about 1/2 hr and other days I read for 4+ hours.

I just charged it for the first time this past Monday (June 13th) and it was only down to about 34%.

Comparing the two experiences it seems like the OP has a bad battery or something else wrong with their N2E.


My experience is almost identical to yours.  I got mine a week ago this past Friday so it's coming up on 2 weeks now.  I have mine set to sleep after 5 minutes though.  I haven't turned wifi off and I've been reading at least 2 hours a day (sometimes more) since I've gotten it.  I haven't charged it at all and it's currently at 35%.   I will probably be traveling into NYC tomorrow, though, so might possibly charge it to read on the train.  Then again, I may just take a chance and see what happens... :smileywink:  It's basically 2 hours each way but I don't think that will be enough to kill the battery judging by past history with the N2E.

►Without order there is chaos◄
New User
PDXReader42
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎06-14-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Simple Touch reader battery life - lousy

I am leaving the WiFi off.  And now I'm turning the whole device off when finished.  The battery is doing better, but it doesn't sound like the behavior I'm seeing is normal. 

AlanNJ
Posts: 3,722
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
Registered: ‎03-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Simple Touch reader battery life - lousy

You are probably using more battery power turning the device on and off than just letting it go to sleep.

►Without order there is chaos◄