New User
mochaart
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Simple Touch reader battery life - lousy

OK  OK   I have a Kindle and a Nook color

The Kindle last far longer than my Nook touch  and yes been thru 2 units nook touch

If they say two months for the Nook it must be three months for the Kindle LOL

Contributor
krabbeni
0 Kudos

I agree that you have a defective battery.  My new Nook lasts about 2 to 3 days depending on how much time I actually spend reading.

B&N advertises "2 months" which is completely ridiculous, but I do find that it has better battery life than the 1st Edition.

Distinguished Correspondent
avid_reader1590
0 Kudos

Tomorrow will be fourteen days since I charged my replacement Nook 2 to 100% and I still have 54% remaining.  I have been reading about two hours most days and a of couple days two to four hours. Super happy. :smileyhappy:

Anne

It is better to stir up a question without deciding it, than to decide it without stirring it up. ~Joseph Joubert

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

krabbeni wrote:

I agree that you have a defective battery.  My new Nook lasts about 2 to 3 days depending on how much time I actually spend reading.

B&N advertises "2 months" which is completely ridiculous, but I do find that it has better battery life than the 1st Edition.

This is not normal either.  I've still got 26% battery life in mine and I haven't charged it since I got it on June 3.  I'm not an extremely heavy reader but I do read quite a bit more than 30 minutes a day (the amount that the 2 month stat was based on).

Unless you're reading a total of 30 hours over 2-3 days, your battery should be lasting a lot longer than that.

Reader 2
Franktho
0 Kudos

Add me as one with a defective battery (I think).  First - this reader is great.  I have a Kindle 2 and and Ipad 1, and I love the way this reader just disappears when I am reading.  But, after being totally startled by a 'low charge' warning and then into sleep mode after only a couple of days of owning it, and with about 1 hour/day reading, last night I fully charged it to a 100% and this evening it is at 71% with no usage, and no wifi on, etc.   I am on hold right now waiting for a customer rep.  I expect that after I exchange it I will be good to go.  But I do wonder if they had a bad batch.  MIne arrived mid last week via online order. 

Reader
AustinWriteGuy
0 Kudos

I'm on my 2nd Nook 2.  Battery life is awful.  The first one would drain completely within 4 days (just in sleep mode, not even using the device and yes wifi off).  After 4 calls to customer service and some ridiculous troubleshooting steps, I asked for a new device and BN express shipped a replacement.  So far it's not looking promising.  I charged it for 4 hours (without any use).  It's been off the charger for 2 hours (the only use was registering my nook; then the wifi was shut off) and the battery is down to 98% (which is equivalent to the nook 2 I returned; battery draining 1% per hour). The battery life is no better than the first generation Nook.  I love the features of the Nook, but the battery life makes it nearly useless (especially when traveling).  The claim of a 2 month battery life is a joke and the 2 month battery life was the primary reason I "upgraded" from the first generation Nook.  My next step is to try to get a refund and just continue to use my 1st gen Nook.

Inspired Contributor
Plucknbach
0 Kudos

PDXReader42 wrote:

So those of you getting super battery life, are you powering down the unit when you're not using it?  I was under the impression I should just leave it on in sleep mode, but it seems like I'm only getting 10 hours/5 days per charge.

You do not need to powerdown the unit when not in use.  the only time power is used is when you turn pages, and with the wifi on.  when the screen saver is on or when you are reading, no power is being used. 

Famous Last Words: "Hold my beer, and Watch this..."
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,263
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

Plucknbach wrote:

PDXReader42 wrote:

So those of you getting super battery life, are you powering down the unit when you're not using it?  I was under the impression I should just leave it on in sleep mode, but it seems like I'm only getting 10 hours/5 days per charge.

You do not need to powerdown the unit when not in use.  the only time power is used is when you turn pages, and with the wifi on.  when the screen saver is on or when you are reading, no power is being used. 

I don't turn mine off.

Frequent Contributor
Blues_Harpist
0 Kudos

I charged mine for about an hour after I got it, up to 100%, and it's now down to ~20% two and a half weeks later of fairly regular use.  I still haven't charged it since the day I bought it.

[Exit, pursued by a bear]
Reader 2
JoeJoeJoe
0 Kudos

Make sure for the screen saver that you do NOT choose nature, as the image changes every 5 minutes or so.

Select the writers screen saver as those screens do not change.

Let us know if this helps.

Frequent Contributor
Blues_Harpist
0 Kudos

I use the nature screen saver on mine and it never changes, just like the author one.  In fact, I haven't used my Nook in the past couple of days and it's been sitting on the counter with the same waterfall image the entire time.

Is it supposed to change?

[Exit, pursued by a bear]
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,263
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

Blues_Harpist wrote:

I use the nature screen saver on mine and it never changes, just like the author one.  In fact, I haven't used my Nook in the past couple of days and it's been sitting on the counter with the same waterfall image the entire time.

Is it supposed to change?

Not unless it wakes up and goes back to sleep.

Contributor
Alan_Houston

My estimate is that a FULLY charged Simple Touch will last 20 hours per charge with the WI-Fi turned ON, and from 40 hours to 50 hours with the WI-FI turned OFF.  Many folks assume that if they are not using WI-FI that it is turned off.  That is not the case.  You must go into the Device menu and turn off the Wi-Fi manually.

The percentage of power remaining is a rough estimate.  That estimate will become more accurate if you use the Simple Touch until the battery is totally dead, and the Nook powers off completely.  After you recharge the Nook back to 100% (which takes 3 to 4 hours), that "power remaining" gauge will be calibrated more accurately.

It takes a battery four or five discharge/recharge cycles before it will accept a full charge.  Or, about ten recharge cycles if you recharge when the percentage remaining is at around 50%.

After ten recharge cycles, you should be getting at least 40 hours of reading with Wi-Fi OFF for the battery to drop from 100% to "power down".  If you are getting a lot less than 40 hours, you should contact customer service.

Contributor
Alan_Houston

The folks who say that their Nook drained the battery when it was NOT being used do not have Wi-Fi turned off.  You must manually go into the menus to turn off Wi-Fi.  You can verify that Wi-Fi is turned off by turning it ON and waiting for a list of available networks to appear.  After the network list is complete, turn the Wi-Fi OFF.  The network list will disappear, verifying that the Wi-Fi is off.

All batteries lose some power when a device is stored.  That "storage drain" should not be more than about 5% to 10% per week, so after a month of the Nook being stored and not used, the battery gauge should read at least 50%.

Remember that the battery gauge is only an estimate and it could be off by a considerable amount.  If you use the Nook until the battery is totally drained and powers down, and then charge it back to 100%, that will increase the accuracy of the battery gauge.

Normally, you should not drain the battery to zero (just once or twice a year to calibrate the battery gauge).  Doing so on a regular basis might shorten the life of the battery.  It would be better to do your routine recharging when the battery gauge is between 20% and 50%.  I'm guessing that for MOST people, that sort of charging schedule would enable the battery to provide good service for three to five years...by which time you probably will be ready for the Nook 10, which will weigh 2 oz., and hold 8 zillion books.

Contributor
Alan_Houston
0 Kudos

Battery life with the Wi-Fi OFF is based on "page turns".  I use one of the larger fonts, due to vision problems.  The font that I use allows only about ONE THIRD as many words per page as the "average" size font that someone with 20/20 youthful eyes would use.

The result?  If a person using an average size font gets 40 hours to 50 hours of reading (with Wi-Fi OFF) before charging, I will likely only get about 15 hours of reading per charge, because I am turning THREE PAGES for every page turn that the typical reader does.

Is that a big deal?  If I read an average of two hours per day, even with my super large fonts, and I am turning pages three times more often than the average person, I will only be charging my Nook one time per week.  In contrast, both my netbook and my color e-reader require charging every single night.

Reader 2
Franktho
0 Kudos

Good comments about both the font size/more frequent page turns, etc.  As someone who previously posted my concerns about the battery life on my new Nook (even thinking I might have to exchange it), things seemed to have settled down. I do think it took a couple of full discharge/charge cycles to get the battery to be more 'stable' as well as the battery gauge to be more accurate.

So, I am feeling pretty good about the battery life right now.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

I still haven't charged mine since the intial out-of-the-box charge.  I got it June 3.

Inspired Correspondent
DeltaT
0 Kudos

Alan_Houston:

Thanks for the good posts on battery life.  I'm getting about the same results that you are.

I would like to add a couple of things.

1.  The easiest way to turn of Wi-Fi is to go to any main menu page, then press and hold the time display at the top right.  That will bring up a Quick Settings window that lets you turn off Wi-Fi, or turn it back on.

2.  The little battery icon indicators on the main menu pages and in the book pages may not match each other, and may not be accurate.  The only accurate indicator is in the actual percent shown in the Settings/Device Info screen.

Oddly enough, my icon indicators are more accurate with second charge than with the first one, so there may be some learning software in there.  My book page battery indicator shows a higher level than it did yesterday without a recharge.  The level shown today is more accurate.  Interesting.:smileysurprised:

Contributor
Mr_Weatherbee

Hey all, sorry I didn't follow up before. I went in to exchange for a new N2E, hassle free and I even avoided the big line by having the guy at the nook kiosk handle it. The difference is like night and day, that was over a week ago and I have charged only once, battery is at about 84%. Consider me pleased.

So if your battery life isn't scratching your itch, don't be shy about exchanging it. It really does rock, dramatically outpacing my 1st gen Kindle!

Distinguished Scribe
Schwa
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Laurel to you for coming back and posting about resolved issues  :smileyhappy: