Frequent Contributor
suzatm07
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Simple Touch reader battery life - lousy

I was one of the June 3rd receivers of the new Nook 2.  I read about 45 minutes every morning, maybe 5 or 10 minutes here and there during the work day and then about two hours at night. I keep wifi turned off unless I download new books. I have had to charge my ebook reader every morning.  I have not let it get down to the 60% level and there are days when I let it charge for 3 hours.  So I don't think the battery life is much better than the Nook 1.  Having said that - I truly love the Nook 2.  Plugging it in in the morning next to my cell phone is no big deal and I know to always carry my charging cord with me at all times.  It would be wonderful to read a lot and have the charge last two months - but I don't think any of the readers are able to do that. I had a Sony Pocket Reader before the Nooks and its battery was the same way - you had to charge it every day to keep it above 50%.  I am so amazed at the number of people who have had their Nooks since June 3 and have only just started charging them!  I probably am one of the ones with the defective battery, but everything else is working very well and I really don't want the chance of gaining more problems by asking for a replacement Nook.

Correspondent
yarnmama
0 Kudos

Thanks for letting us know your issue was resolved and you are getting better battery life. I am thrilled with mine as well. I've had it since June 4th. I use mine several hours a day with Wi-Fi on all the time and have only charged it twice. :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

suzatm07 wrote:

I was one of the June 3rd receivers of the new Nook 2.  I read about 45 minutes every morning, maybe 5 or 10 minutes here and there during the work day and then about two hours at night. I keep wifi turned off unless I download new books. I have had to charge my ebook reader every morning.  I have not let it get down to the 60% level and there are days when I let it charge for 3 hours.  So I don't think the battery life is much better than the Nook 1.  Having said that - I truly love the Nook 2.  Plugging it in in the morning next to my cell phone is no big deal and I know to always carry my charging cord with me at all times.  It would be wonderful to read a lot and have the charge last two months - but I don't think any of the readers are able to do that. I had a Sony Pocket Reader before the Nooks and its battery was the same way - you had to charge it every day to keep it above 50%.  I am so amazed at the number of people who have had their Nooks since June 3 and have only just started charging them!  I probably am one of the ones with the defective battery, but everything else is working very well and I really don't want the chance of gaining more problems by asking for a replacement Nook.

Why are you so committed to keeping it above 50%?

If you don't give the battery a few cycles of draining all the way down, you're not allowing the battery to properly calibrate itself.  Consequently the battery will appear to be draining a lot faster than it actually is.

So, you might not actually have a defective battery, you might just not be doing the proper care and feeding of it.  :smileyhappy:  Let it run down all the way for a few cycles and then see how it does.

FWIW - I got my N2E on June 3 and just charged it for the first time (since it's original charge) last night.  In that time span I had to recharge my N1E four times, and I haven't even read on it, I've just downloaded books to it.  I've done all my reading on the N2E and still got four times the battery life as the N1E.

New User
thewasp
0 Kudos

Fraid not.  I am having the same problem.  Battery life down to 30 percent after one week.

A  little too much boasting by B & N re: battery life.  Maybe I have a defective product!

Frequent Contributor
suzatm07
0 Kudos

Thank you.  I'll take your advice and give it a try. 

Reader
AustinWriteGuy
0 Kudos

Those that are having significant battery issues, I recommend calling BN and getting it replaced.  I previously posted about my experience with poor battery life on my Nook2 (1% per hour; sitting idle; no wifi).  BN replaced my unit and I initially suspected the battery (on the replacement) would not perform any better (dropped 2% within the first two hours after initial charge).  However,  I must say the replacement is excellent.  I've had it for 6 days (one charge; reading at least 1 hr a night) and it's at 83%.  So much better.  I love my Nook and I'm glad it was just a bad battery issue.

Once again, those of you with battery issues call BN for assistance.

Happy Reading!

Distinguished Correspondent
avid_reader1590
0 Kudos

AustinWriteGuy wrote:

Those that are having significant battery issues, I recommend calling BN and getting it replaced.  I previously posted about my experience with poor battery life on my Nook2 (1% per hour; sitting idle; no wifi).  BN replaced my unit and I initially suspected the battery (on the replacement) would not perform any better (dropped 2% within the first two hours after initial charge).  However,  I must say the replacement is excellent.  I've had it for 6 days (one charge; reading at least 1 hr a night) and it's at 83%.  So much better.  I love my Nook and I'm glad it was just a bad battery issue.

Once again, those of you with battery issues call BN for assistance.

Happy Reading!

What he said.....same experience. :smileyhappy:

It is better to stir up a question without deciding it, than to decide it without stirring it up. ~Joseph Joubert

Frequent Contributor
suzatm07
0 Kudos

I had a Sony pocket reader that when it got close to 50 percent or less battery charge it would freeze up and you would have to do a hard reset to get it to come back - so I got into the habit of never letting the battery get that low and just charged it up every morning with my cell phone.  I'm trying - I'm down to 48% right now and the last time charged was on Monday morning.  I've had wifi off and I've read all day yesterday/last night and for an hour this morning.  I checked the charge level when I stopped reading last night to go to sleep and then checked it this morning when I got up and it only decreased by 1%.  Thank you for your explanation of the battery and what the proper care is for it!

Reader 2
Soju59
0 Kudos

My initial charge lasted about 2 weeks with fairly heavy reading (2-6 hours per day). Recharged last Monday morning and read about 5 hours that day. Battery was at 63 percent when I stopped for the day. Picked it up again this morning and the battery was at 13 percent. WiFi is definitely off. Don't understand why it would do so well initially and so badly now. I will give it a few more charge cycles and hope it gets back to the longer life span.

Frequent Contributor
mettleh3d
0 Kudos

Wow, a lot of people are experiecing this slow-release battery suicide...

I'm worried.

Contributor
jridley

I think a lot of these battery life reports could be caused by the bug that I reported to B&N a few weeks back. Here's the deal: If you push the N button or the power button from sleep mode, it wakes up and says "drag to unlock your Nook" and it starts an animated arrow in the lower right corner. If you don't do anything for about 5 seconds it goes back to sleep. However, if you touch the screen but to NOT drag to wake up, the Nook will run that animation forever and kill your battery quickly, much more quickly than if you were reading because it's updating the screen more than once a second (to draw those moving arrows). So if you have the thing in a bag and either of those buttons gets pushed and there's anything touching the screen, the battery is going to die in something like 12 to 20 hours unless you pull it out and unlock it. I really think this is the cause of most of these issues. They'll probably fix this in firmware; the unit should power down in 5 seconds of no unlock drag whether or not something touched the screen. I reported it to B&N support and they confirmed it and said they'd pass it on to development. Maybe 1.1, maybe 1.2, but it shouldn't be too hard to fix.
Frequent Contributor
mettleh3d

I tested this issue and learned it is linked to your screen timeout time.

Ie. Screen Sleep Timeout set to: 2 minutes

If you try the drag to unlock bug, 2 mins later the screensaver will flash and be asleep again.  Same goes for 15 mins, hour.

Try it and confirm for me also please.

Contributor
jridley
0 Kudos

Confirmed, thanks for discovering that. I didn't notice this because my screen timeout is set to an hour. The longer timeout probably actually saves battery life for me since it's common for me to be reading, set the thing down for 15 minutes while I take a call or something, then go back to reading. However in this case it does cause trouble since during the hour it takes for it to time out while that arrow animation is running (about 2 per second) it does about 7200 screen updates (though only of a small part of the screen). Hopefully they'll fix this anyway. If failure to drag/unlock in 5 seconds puts it back to sleep, it shouldn't matter if you touch it elsewhere on the screen; it should still be a 5 second timeout. Perhaps they might extend it to 10 seconds if there's some kind of an issue with disability access - people with muscular or neural degenerative disease may find it difficult to drag/unlock within 5 seconds so they may want to extend it if the screen is touched in any way, but even running it out to 30 seconds after the initial button press if the screen is pressed should be OK. Or they could just run the animation for 5 seconds, then just leave the screen static for the rest of the time. The CPU would still be up in low power mode and the touch screen would be active, but it should reduce the drain quite a bit. No need to go for the full screen timeout while running that animation for the full screen timeout time.
Reader
docread
0 Kudos

I sometimes find myself reading in many short intervals through the day, grabing a few minutes here and there with many interuptions. Thus the N2E is going in and out of sleep mode numerous times a day.  Would it be advantageous to change the sleep timeout to 1 hour (maximum) and just let it display the current page until sleep mode kicks in?  If the unit does not draw power displaying a screen, this should save whatever power is used going in and out of sleep mode (which might be greater than simple page turn).  If you wanted to display the screensaver sooner than the time out you could just press and not hold the power button which puts the N2E into sleep mode, rather than a full power off.

Frequent Contributor
mettleh3d
0 Kudos

However, in sleep mode, [I assume] the neonode ID laser grid is powered off, whereas with a 1-hour timeout, the grid is on and is anticipating any impending touch motions to register, silently drawing power and running the 1-hour timer down.

Theoretically.

Contributor
Alan_Houston
0 Kudos

I was concerned with poor battery life during the first week or so of use.  I was using up to 20% of battery life each day, and half of that battery loss was occurring while the Nook was "asleep".  I began recharging the Nook each time it dropped to the 85% remaining level, and after each charge, its battery consumption rate seemed to move closer to what Barnes & Noble predicts.

Finally, I keep reading until the battery level was at 10%.  At that point, I got a warning to recharge the battery.  I kept reading until the battery level was at 9%, and turned the Nook off.  It then refused to power back on.  I plugged it in, and got a message that the battery would take 15 minutes of charging before the Nook could restart.  I allowed it to continue charging back to 100%.

After that cycle (100% down to 9% and then a recharge to 100%), the battery life has been excellent.  It appears that with about 10 hours per week of reading and half an hour a week of Wi-Fi use, I should be able to go two or three weeks on a single charge (a total of 30 hours of reading and less than 2 hours of Wi-Fi from a single charge).

So, I would suggest folks give that a try...let the battery level go to 10%, and then charge to 100% before using.  Doing this 2 or 3 times should condition the battery and battery gauge for maximum time per charge.  After that, you could re-charge at 20% or 30% without lessening battery effectiveness.

In comparison, my Pandigital Novel color e-reader must be charged after just 5 or 6 hours of reading with the Wi-Fi turned off and the screen set at a low level.

Frequent Contributor
Blues_Harpist

This is a repost of something I posted over on the technical support board about my battery issue (draining about 1% per hour while idle and wi-fi off):

Nallia's suggestion appears to have worked.  I let it charge the full 3+ hours, and now it appears to be normal.  After a couple of days of only very light reading, it's still at 100%.

Which leads me to believe that it's more likely a software problem, which I'm less inclined to return the device over since it can be fixed via an update.  Seems to me like the (my) device reads 100% even after just a brief charge time, and then when you take it off the charger it slowly falls down to whatever the actual charge is.

That could be the source of a lot of the "battery issues" that come up over on the General board.

[Exit, pursued by a bear]
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

Blues_Harpist wrote:

This is a repost of something I posted over on the technical support board about my battery issue (draining about 1% per hour while idle and wi-fi off):

Nallia's suggestion appears to have worked.  I let it charge the full 3+ hours, and now it appears to be normal.  After a couple of days of only very light reading, it's still at 100%.

Which leads me to believe that it's more likely a software problem, which I'm less inclined to return the device over since it can be fixed via an update.  Seems to me like the (my) device reads 100% even after just a brief charge time, and then when you take it off the charger it slowly falls down to whatever the actual charge is.

That could be the source of a lot of the "battery issues" that come up over on the General board.

I am so happy thiat worked for you.  :smileyhappy:

Contributor
GenevieveKydd
0 Kudos

I hate to resurrect this thread, but I've been having battery issues as well. I've charged my Nook about four times since the initial charge. On the second charge, I noticed a heavy battery drain. The battery was discharging rapidly, and it was completely discharged within a couple of days. I charged it again, and it was back at normal charge levels. Over the weekend, I charged it again, and again, I had the rapid battery drain. So...I charged it again, it's acting normally, and I contacted B&N. I contacted them once before, and they suggested it could be a bad power cord. I was told to take it into a B&N to check. I did, and it wasn't. So I kept going forward. I contacted them again this morning, and they are replacing my Nook. I'm hoping this resolves the issue altogether.

My guess is it's either my battery or a software issue causing it not to read the battery charge correctly. Either way, it's frustrating.

Contributor
rchusid
0 Kudos

Any chance WiFi signal strength or whether connected could affect battery life? Here's why I'm wondering:

When I first got the Nook, I kept it on at home with WiFi on. I don't recall exact battery life, but it seemed to discharge gradually and I wasn't concerned.

Earlier this month I was on vacation for over a week. I turned off the WiFi. I used the Nook while sitting around the pool at a resort for extended periods almost every day, and the battery lasted through the trip. (I did recharge towards the end to be safe, but I think it would have made it through a week).

Last weekend I was out of town, staying in a condo which did not have its own WiFi. There were weak signals from several neighboring condos. I read for less than an hour. As it was such a short trip, I didn't bother to turn off the WiFi before going. I turned on the Nook again on Monday evening and found that the battery was down to 12 percent, after having a full charge as of Friday.

Now I'm wondering if there could be a sudden problem with the battery, or if the conditions over the weekend led to increased draining. At home with WiFi on the Nook is connected to a strong WiFi signal. I'm wondering if being in a situation with lots of weak signals (WiFi on but not being used) could affect the battery. Could it be frequently trying to find a signal to connect to, but using more power searching through several weak signals?

After recharging I plan to leave it sitting at home with WiFi on at home and see how battery life is when connected to my home WiFi.