New User
MollyzReviewz
0 Kudos

Re: Nook Simple Touch reader battery life - lousy

I have had my Nook Simple Touch since Christmas, and have properly charged the battery...getting great use out of it when I only let it go to the 15% and charge as soon as it warms. However, I have let it completely die for the first time....didn't realise it had told me in the middle of the night that it was time to charge so when I woke up it was off due to no battery life. I'm charging it for the required 4 hours now. Do you think that this one time occurence will harm the battery life? I generally get a battery life of 2 weeks before I have to recharge it when I do it the "charge when warned" way. I don't want to loose that by accidentally totally draining the battery this time. 

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

MollyzReviewz wrote:

I have had my Nook Simple Touch since Christmas, and have properly charged the battery...getting great use out of it when I only let it go to the 15% and charge as soon as it warms. However, I have let it completely die for the first time....didn't realise it had told me in the middle of the night that it was time to charge so when I woke up it was off due to no battery life. I'm charging it for the required 4 hours now. Do you think that this one time occurence will harm the battery life? I generally get a battery life of 2 weeks before I have to recharge it when I do it the "charge when warned" way. I don't want to loose that by accidentally totally draining the battery this time. 

Letting your NOOK discharge completely will not harm your battery.

While it is true that deep discharging a Lithium battery can render it unusable, your NOOK includes circuitry that shuts it off before the battery reaches that point.

Correspondent
Marty-TX
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

MollyzReviewz,

Bought my NOOK in November and battery life was great ... at least a month/charge, reading about an hour/day.

Manually updated firmware to 1.1 and saw a dramatic drop in battery life.  One day, I was greeted with a totally discharged battery and recharged the NOOK for 4 hours. Had a totally discharged battery again about a week later.

I assumed that the firmware update had a glitch ... or "operator error" on my part when I installed the update.

Rolled back firmware to 1.0.1 and battery life is fully cured ... back to at least a month between charges.

So, 2 back-to-back full discharges appear to have had zero negative effect on the battery.  :smileyhappy:

Marty

New User
Anirudha
0 Kudos

Using NST for the last six months. With the wireless off, it is using about 3% - 5% battery every day. Very happy with the performance so far.

Ani

New User
racquetchic
0 Kudos

Or many people have problems and wait until they are so fed up before they bother to post (like me).  I almost threw my NST with glow in the trash last night.  For the record, I have an original nook that I have adored and have had wonderful luck with for the past 3 years.  But in switching to the Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight, I'm on my second warranty replacement (third NST) and am having the same rapid discharge battery issues. There are so many suggestions on various blogs and I've tried nearly every one.  I'm experiencing rapid discharge without using and with Wi-Fi and glow turned off.  From full to "battery too low to use" in two days with zero use other than turning it on to check the battery percentage.  For the record the time spent on the phone with customer service getting the replacements has to be the most painful of all.  Perhaps I should be going to a store as others have suggested.  There really is an issue with these units, take it from me, an experienced and previously happy nook user. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

racquetchic wrote:

Or many people have problems and wait until they are so fed up before they bother to post (like me).  I almost threw my NST with glow in the trash last night.  For the record, I have an original nook that I have adored and have had wonderful luck with for the past 3 years.  But in switching to the Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight, I'm on my second warranty replacement (third NST) and am having the same rapid discharge battery issues. There are so many suggestions on various blogs and I've tried nearly every one.  I'm experiencing rapid discharge without using and with Wi-Fi and glow turned off.  From full to "battery too low to use" in two days with zero use other than turning it on to check the battery percentage.  For the record the time spent on the phone with customer service getting the replacements has to be the most painful of all.  Perhaps I should be going to a store as others have suggested.  There really is an issue with these units, take it from me, an experienced and previously happy nook user. 

Are you sure it's not an issue with your case?